User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  3

Thread: desperate help - merging two photos in PSE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

desperate help - merging two photos in PSE

I am trying to merge two photos taken of the sunset tonight. Luckily it was a crappy sunset (not much colour in the sky), so I can muck around with it as much as possible and not worry about the outcome....

I had it on a tripod, mirror lock up (I remembered this time), Av setting f9. I took one image of the hill (blew out the sky) and one image of the sky (very dark hill).

I went into PSE and tried to use the Photomerge Exposure. I did it in manual and followed the advice in my book from Scott Kelby. It turned out awful!! Very bad fringing on the tree top horizon and just looked so wrong.

Is there another way of maybe doing layers using both images (layer one on top of the other and then erasing part of the image to reveal the one below) or is this a bit hard especially with tree tops on the horizon??

I would love to get the hang of doing this, so I can further my sunset/sunrise photos.

Or is there another application to use other than PSE???
    Monika
    Equipment: Canon 60D, Nikon FE, Nikkor 50mm 1.8 lens, Fancier FT-662A tripod, 18-55mm kit lens, 55-250mm kit lens, 30mm 1.4 Sigma lens, LR4, PS Elements
    Check out my Flickr photos ... http://www.flickr.com/photos/missmonny/
    ... and then you can like me on www.facebook.com/PhotoByMB or see my shop on http://www.redbubble.com/people/msmonny

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have a look at this little tutorial. This is how I would do it. - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRJoY5odA7k

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats good. How do I use TWO photos in the layer area, instead of just the one photo duplicated??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ms Monny, copy the second image and then paste it into photoshop. It will paste as a new layer.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks .... I did it! Oh, I haven't touched PSE for a year and I have forgotten everything. It is slowly coming back to me. Editing the photos right now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure of PSE, but in CS5 there's the file > Automate > send to HDR Pro (from memory, as I'm posting from my desktop which doesn't have it installed). It is so simple it's scary. Merges the shots, and then lets you adjust the result with a few simple sliders to alter the look. I've only just used it for the first time this week, but if elements has the same options as photoshop, then it might be another way of doing it.
    Canon EOS 60D ..... EFS 18-200mm f/3.5 - 5.6 IS - 430 EXII Speedlite - "eBay special" Remote Control Unit - Manfrotto 190XPROB w 804RC2 head.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Enzookiel, but PSE doesn't have that feature. I like to actually use the layers to dodge and burn where I want to. The Photomerge Exposure is a HDR type of program within PSE, but I don't actually like the end effect. I am going to go to bed now and rest the ol' eyes from my image. It is nearly done and I will post it when I have finished. Actually very happy with it....but I know I need a bit more CC on the image itself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll check out HDR Pro, thanks Ezookiel

Ausphotography Site Sponsor/Advertiser OzzieTraveller's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day MsMoney

If you would like a PDF copy [6-pages] of my workshop notes on merging 2 discrete images, would you please PM me with your email details

Regards, Phil
    Of all the stuff in a busy photographers kitbag, the ability to see photographically is the most important
    google me at Travelling School of Photography
    images.: flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/