User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: New gear! well..... sort of EOS 630

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New gear! well..... sort of EOS 630

I have just inherited an old Canon EOS 630 from my aunt who used to be into photography but isn't anymore. I have been given the body, a 35-105mm lens, a 70-210mm lens, a 420ez speedlight, fabric filters for the speedlight! and a whole bunch of lens filters. The speedlight isn't so happy as all this stuff has been packed away for the better part of 15 years and the light still had batteries in it, so the inside of the compartment is all corroded and has blue/green build up. The camera doesn't have a battery but after some research I found out it takes a regular 2CR5 battery which I can buy from the supermarket! I'm rather excited, It also came with film but I believe is has also been packed away for 15 years and think it would probably just disintegrate when it is developed.

Does anyone else own one of these cameras that can offer some advice? I currently own a Canon 7D and haven't used a film SLR since college.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    open the back and check to see if the shutter curtains are clean. these can get crud on them and become sticky which means they could not open for and exposure. From past experience most canon eos film cameras are pretty bullet proof; they are also not that old so time hasnt been able to play too much havvok with seals/mechanical parts.

Do not disregard the film yet, if its slow speed (100) it could still be ok to shoot. If you intend on developing some b/w at home keep all b/w film, expired stuff is usually fine expecially with low cost of developing at home.
    For colour stuff, it may be worth getting some fresh stuff since the cost of developing isnt so cheap, there is not muh point spending so much on medicore results. A good general purpose film is portra 400; it is relatively expensive though.
    1DIII, 5DII, 15mm fish, 24mm ts-e, 35L,135L,200L,400L,mpe-65mm
    Film: eos 300, pentax 6x7

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The camera seems to be in pretty good nick. It has been in a box untouched and after testing with a new battery the shutters seem to be working perfectly. The film looks ok but im not going to trust it, it's just cheap kodak max 400 which I will probably just keep on the shelf for the kids that come around to oogle and wonder what it is. It's been a long time since I have used an SLR film camera so I'm just going to keep to the cheap film until I get my head around how it works again. I have to remember I can't just up the ISO whenever I want and NO DON'T PRESS THAT BUTTON! oh dear, now I've ruined the film.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want to perhaps try the film that is in the camera one day, when you rewind it, feel for when the film leaves the take-up spool so you will be left with a leader on it, otherwise, if you rewind it all the way, you'll never be able to use that roll again, unless you have a blackout bag and know how to take the film catridge apart by feel and re-thread it.
    When you rewind it, as soon as it starts to go easily and without much tension, stop rewinding it and then open up the back.
    If the camera has a motorised rewind, then it is difficult to only partially rewind it and you'll have to be quick and stop as soon as you hear it going faster.
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    there is a cheap small tool that can get a leader out of a spool of film eg http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Retriever.html