User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows 8 - A disaster about to happen?

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Windows 8 - A disaster about to happen?

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/f...06?tag=nl.e539

Summary: The biggest problem with Windows 8 is that it wasn’t born out of a need or demand. Its design failures, particularly with ‘Metro UI’ will likely be its downfall.
    Another Windows ME or Vista? Or is it going to be worse?

Is Microsoft going to self destruct and play into the hands of Google and Apple?

I’m now ready to sum up my Windows 8 experience with a single word: awful.

I could have chosen a number of other words — terrible, horrible, painful and execrable all spring to mind — but it doesn’t matter, the sentiment is the same.

And I don’t say this lightly. I want to like Windows 8. I really do. From a performance point of view, I’ve no complaints since it’s just as snappy and responsive as Windows 7, and will likely get a little better as drivers mature. Hardware support is also excellent; the platform able to handle effortlessly everything I threw at it.
    Last edited by Kym; 10-06-2012 at 10:19pm.
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've played with it on my tablet and I found it quite OK.

The Metro UI is fine for tablets, and surely it'll be an option for desktops and laptops.
    But for touch screen devices, I found nothing wrong with it, and it was definitely 'snappy' considering the modest hardware specs of the Gigabyte tablet.

An aside to this is that technically speaking the Gigabyte shouldn't be able to run Win8 at all, if not for a hardware hack that I had to enforce on the tablet to get Win8 loaded .. so considering this it worked well!

The way I see it tho, if they (M$) have plans to integrate it with the Kinect system of cameras and a body movement hands off UI, it could work well, even on a desktop.

Haven't tried it on a desktop at all, as I basically didn't see a need .... but for ultra portable touch screen devices, M$ need a more friendly UI than what they currently have(with WIn7).

At this point, I only just read the link to the 'awful' review, and I have no idea on what he's talking about!
    ..... in terms of finding apps(why are programs all suddenly called apps now!? ).

I installed Win8 over Win7 on my tablet and finding all my old programs was as easy as finding them with Win7!!

If the software is not WIn8/Metro UI aware then it doesn't show up in the Metro UI at all as a tile, but you can still add it.
    All the Metro aware software have these live tiles, but any older non Metro capable software can also be added as a tile to any page but it's just a blank solid colour square.

I never found it confusing, except at the very beginning where it was a totally foreign environment, just as Android was when I first started using it!
    That's a natural consequence of a new user interface, but once used to it, it was quite easy to navigate through it all and group programs as I wanted too.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

dieselpower
    Just one guy's opinion.

Plenty more 'opinion's' out there from people who reckon it's great...

I have to be honest I haven't played with it much but I like it, didn't have a problem finding my way around, didn't have a problem finding where stuff was installed so not sure what this guy is on about really!

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The concept of the metro UI is great for a tablet, and I think will work well. A colleague has a windows phone with Metro, and it looks good and will be a viable alternative to iOS and Android.

However, MS seems to be insisting on using metro as the main desktop interface for PCs, removing the start menu and subsuming what remains of the original windows desktop as an app under metro. (The aforementioned colleague is also running the win8 CTP on his desktop PC, so I've had a bit of a look at it in action.)

I think it is a very retrograde step for the desktop PC, and even my colleague (a badgewearing Windows fanboi) is doubtful. In a corporate environment, it will be a major upgrade, with significant retraining, and I think won't happen.

Me - I won't be buying.

Regards,
    Rob
    Regards, Rob

D600, AF-S 35mm f1.8G DX, AF-S 50mm f1.8G, AF-S 24-85mm f3.5-4.5G ED VR, AF-S 70-300mm F4.5-5.6G VR, Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM
    Photos: geeoverbar.smugmug.com Software: CS6, Lightroom 4

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Must say I got a giggle out of his 'review'. Too many cliched comments.

And who says we have to upgrade to Win 8 anyway. Just like vista, a lot of people just skipped it entirely, they could do the same with Win 8. I have no reason to upgrade from Win 7, as my Win 7 works, is stable, does what I want it to.

At the bottom of the blog post is this statement "Adrian Kingsley-Hughes is an internationally published technology author who has devoted over a decade to helping users get the most from technology.", Yet his whinge doesn't sound like coming from someone who is DEVOTED to helping users. Rather he seems to come across as someone who doesn't want anything to change, or learn how to do something new or in a different way. Thankfully most of us like to experiment with new things, or we would all still be shooting with a box brownie.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is another article I read this morning...http://www.theage.com.au/technology/...608-200ry.html
    Mic

Photography is the art of telling stories with light.

www.michaelgoulding.com

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Help! Windows 8 my computer! Perhaps?
    CC, Image editing OK.

Tech Admin
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At work are in the process of upgrading ~2,000 desktops from XP/2003 to 7/2010.
    There is NO WAY commercial organisations who skipped Vista/2007 will go 8.
    There is no commercial benefit, and the change resistance + training costs for the 7/2010 move was bad enough.

In fact there is very little benefit to a business in moving off XP/2003, i.e. people just get on with their jobs regardless.
    Last edited by Kym; 11-06-2012 at 12:54pm.

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had ME, flaky, XP Pro, excellent, Vista, very ordinary, the Updates always caused problems, and now Windows 7, which after a few early hiccups is now running smoothly and doing what I want.

I can't see me upgrading any time soon.
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was discussing the previous versions of windows with a friend the other day, and we came to the conclusion that only every second version is any good (roughly)...

3.1 95 98 2000/ME XP Vista 7

So obviously Win8 will be rubbish

Tech Admin
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    95 was ok, and 2000 was quite good.
    Remember that 3.1 95 98 98SE ME was one series and 3.51 4 2000 XP Vista Win 7 is a different series.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't played with Win 8 yet. I understand the need for metro UI to compete in touch centric tablet space, or even some sort of laptop/tablet hybrid. Good luck to MS with that - sounds like they are on right track. However, what concerns me is the impact of Metro on the more heavy duty PC app UI experience, such as Word or Photoshop, may be too radical a change. If so, it would be a backward step that will take another windows release (and 3 more years) to settle. Time will tell. For now I am happy with my Win 7 and do not feel the need to change.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im more than happy running OSX from Apple, never had a big or small niggling problems like I did with Windows - can never go back to a PC now. Even running Windows on Mac seemed smoother than from a native PC!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had a tinker with it for a coupla months and loaded the most recent beta a week ago............ don't really like the interface but it has some OK features buried in there, but not choosing to go with an option for classic interface seems deliberately provocative? I see it as a useful OS for finger finesse folks and power users will no doubt come up with some hacks to drive M$ nuts........... it has already been happening, and at some point it will sort itself out........... but Kym is on the money, business won't want to know about it, but it is a glimpse of the future for consumer OS software which will almost certainly be aimed at touch screen technology ( I have actually witnessed some mates put greasy fingerprints on my monitor whilst giving it a try out on my experimental install) which is entertaining enough, I'm happy to trade a smirk for a sheepish grin
    My Image Policy: Feel free to comment or edit as you wish.

Rebel XT
    Canon 18-55 kit
    Canon 50 f1.8
    Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 EX DC HSM
    Sigma 24-70 f2.8 EX DG macro
    Sigma 70-200 f2.8 EX APO HSM
    Sigma 150 f2.8 EX APO Macro DG HSM
    Canon 100-400 f4.5-5.6 L IS USM
    Sigma 135-400 f4.5-5.6 APO
    Sigma EF-500 DG Super

http://spacejunk2.deviantart.com/

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used all the Windows versions from 95 onwards (I skipped 2000)and have not had a problem with any of them.
    Each one I found to be an improvement on the last , ME for instance I did not see what all the negativity was all about.

Vista had the user account control nanny nags that I turned of and you had to push Alt to get tools/option, but that is not a big deal. The personalize menu is a bit rubbish and control panel I set to classic, but after an initial frustration in the changes you just get on with it and often the features that are different do not need to be visited on a regular basis after initial setup.

I only trailed Win 7 on a separate drive that I can swap to at boot up if I want. Though I liked what I saw I was a bit over reinstalls to make the move.

Now things are getting a bit cluttered on Vista so I might do the reinstall as Win8. I'm sure there will be a simple setting change that can be done in Windows services that makes Metro not the default boot screen or the option will get added in a patch if there is enough fuss about it.

That is the thing with Windows you can make it how you want it one way or another regardless of Microsoft's intent.

Account Closed at member's request
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a Mac fan, I don't see the issue with Windows 8. I think its a catch 22. People complain that Microsoft aren't innovating enough and when they do innovate, people complain. At the end of the day, you can't have innovation without change and you have to let go of your comfort factor and try new things if you want technology to progress.

I think its a good move for Microsoft. You cannot be creative if you're scared to fail and Microsoft is changing. Its a good thing.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MS lost me when they changed all the menus in Office and hid most of my favourite commands. I guess that means I'm getting old and cranky. I'm still having issues with Windows 7 and hardware/software compatibility. There's not a chance in hell I'll be going to Windows 8 and then having to upgrade all my perfectly functional old software applications (does that answer your question about "apps" Arthur?).

A little off-topic, but did anyone else find all their optical drives no longer accessible on Windows 7 after a recent update? Mine all disappeared on two different computers at the same time. After about a week and a new update, they're back.

Account Closed at member's request
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Warbler View Post
    MS lost me when they changed all the menus in Office and hid most of my favourite commands. I guess that means I'm getting old and cranky. I'm still having issues with Windows 7 and hardware/software compatibility. There's not a chance in hell I'll be going to Windows 8 and then having to upgrade all my perfectly functional old software applications (does that answer your question about "apps" Arthur?).

A little off-topic, but did anyone else find all their optical drives no longer accessible on Windows 7 after a recent update? Mine all disappeared on two different computers at the same time. After about a week and a new update, they're back.
    I agree on the office stuff. I still battle to find things in office. I think menu changes make sense but you still need to conform to a basic logic from before. I.e. nothing wrong with changing the look and feel, but leave the structure of things the same. I think office did exactly this. I had the same issues with the old nokia's. They'd change the menu settings every phone and all of a sudden you couldn't find the alarm clock because they'd put it in another completely random place that didn't make sense.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think its a good move for Microsoft. You cannot be creative if you're scared to fail and Microsoft is changing. Its a good thing.
    To true.

I think a lot of Windows power users get a bit set in their routine.
    On the other side of the coin Microsoft get a bit over zealous I think at times with dumbing down the interface for new users and the "do you really think you want to do that" messages.

Interestingly it is new or infrequent users from previous versions that struggle the most with the new look update versions.

Time marches on and change is inevitable. Metro is an excellent addition but on a PC I fail to see how its interface is better for mouse and keyboard use or the need for a touch screen PC. Metro should have optional interfaces for M/K use I think.

Perhaps it the hardware that needs to catch up. A mouse pad with a scratch pad to the side like on a laptop seems a good idea to me. Moving, resizing and scrolling of open windows has always been a bit fiddly with a mouse where as it is quick and precise at most other things.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JM Tran View Post
    Im more than happy running OSX from Apple, never had a big or small niggling problems like I did with Windows - can never go back to a PC now. Even running Windows on Mac seemed smoother than from a native PC!
    +1 Amen. I will not be going back to a Windows based machine whilst OSX series is alive and well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast