User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  8

Thread: Filters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Filters

I'd like to get some ND filters to enhance my seascapes. I am looking at graduated ND 2,4 and 8 maybe Cokin, for my Tokina 11-16 which accepts 77mm filters. When I look on eBay, there seems to be all sorts of different types, Z, P, A, and many types of holders. I have no idea what I actually need to look for. Could someone possibly shed some light (pardon the pun), on what I should buy and if there is a reputable (read cheap) supplier, point me in the direction.

Many thanks for any input.
    Epoc.
    Cheers,
    Ian

All the 7's: D700, D7000, D70

Going Cold Blooded
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Epoc - check these guys out - it's where I buy my grads etc

http://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.co...egory644_1.htm
    Canon 7D Mark II

Adam Brice

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think, from memory, the Cokin Z holder is for wide-angle lenses so that should suit the 11-16mm.

This is the next thing I buy too I think...I've been waiting for over a year but as soon as I can save up some money I'll invest Part of the problem is I've been looking at the Lee filters and they cost a bit more.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The P system is a 72mm square filter system. The Z-Pro system is a 100mm square filter system. You need to decide on a system, then buy the filters to suit that system.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I originally had a Cokin P system which was OK but you can only get 1 filter without Vignetting , I also cut down one of my ones with 3 slots. I have since moved the the Cokin Z system and can use 2 filter slots without vignetting.

I have the same lens as you Tokina 11-16

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, the P system being 72mm sounds like its a no go with the 77mm Tokina. From Birdmans post, the Z system is the one for me. Now to find a good price.

Thanks outstar79, I have delt with DCW before and will certainly see what they have to offer.

Regards,
    Epoc
    Last edited by Epoc; 09-06-2012 at 10:55pm.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Found this for cokin filter fitment

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...onm/series.jpg

And this place in the US which I have traded with before

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Cokin-P-G...item35bc576e29
    Regards
    John
    Nikon D750, Sigma 105mm OS Macro, Tokina 16-28 F2.8, Sigma 24-105 Art, Sigma 150-600C,
    Benro Tripod and Monopod with Arca plates

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, not cheap suckers. $260 is about the cheapest I can find for the complete U960 Z Pro kit. One thing, with all the negativity lately regarding filters, will these impact on my images? Is it a case of positives out weight negatives with ND's and Polarisers?

I see there are other brands like Lee and Singh-Ray, but these are simply out of the question. $150 for 1 filter just isn't going to happen.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by J.davis View Post
    Found this for cokin filter fitment

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...onm/series.jpg

And this place in the US which I have traded with before

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Cokin-P-G...item35bc576e29
    Thanks John for that info. Things are definitely becoming clearer on what I need.
    Last edited by Epoc; 09-06-2012 at 11:58pm.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    the negativity was towards UV filters as they serve zero purpose. yes there will be IQ degredation with any filter, so it is a balancing act between quality and creating the result you want.

The Commander
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought the P series also and they work fine apart from the two issues mentioned above. The vignetting I don't find such and issue but you may see the edge of the holder when at 11mm as I do with my sigma at 10 /11mm. Not a real issue as I mosty crop off a little considering the softness on the extreme edge with the Sigma 10-20.
    Be mindful that regardless of P or Z holder you still need to buy the adapter ring for the diameter size of the lens you are using. I have 2 adapter rings. You also need consider cost of he filters, may not be a worry.

To be honest, if I was going purchase again, I would go the wide angle holder but buy the more expensive but better quality Lee filters - personal opinion only. Another thing to note with the cokin filters is - I find - they are very easy to scratch and mine have a number of fine scratch just from cleaning with a micro fiber. This doesn't impact IQ but is frustrating.

After reading this I should finish with a comment on the Sigma 10-20, great lens but mine does suffer the very soft focus issue on the left side of the frame.
    Please be honest with your Critique of my images. I may not always agree, but I will not be offended - CC assists my learning and is always appreciate

https://mikeathome.smugmug.com/

Canon 5D3 - Gripped, EF 70-200 L IS 2.8 MkII, , 24-105 L 4 IS MkI, 580 EX II Speedlite, 2x 430 Ex II Speedlite

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been using the Hitech filters and found they have been really good. No image degradation that I can see (shot same scenes with/without and no ugly colour casts. They are very reasonably priced, especially if you buy a starter kit. They are also a large filter, so work well with your wide angle lens. I got a very slight vignette on my 17-40 at 17 mm, but got rid of nearly all of it when I rotated the filter holder.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, I also use Kenko Pro CPL and UV filters. Also fine!

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that info Mike. I notice that Cokin don't get real good wraps around the place. As I said, being a hobbyist Lee are just out of the question. My manager of finance would suspend all payments if I spent that amount of money on a few filters

From my research, I am considering Hitech. They seem to get good reviews and are reasonably priced. Anyone here use them and care to share your experiences?

Cheers,
    Epoc

- - - Updated - - -

roastman, right on que. You must of been typing the exact time I was. Thanks for your feedback. I have found a Hitech starter kit specifically for a 77mm wide. It's well priced and leading the way at the moment.

- - - Updated - - -

This is what I'm considering:

http://tinyurl.com/73q7eps
    Last edited by Epoc; 10-06-2012 at 10:18am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same place I got min from, although I ordered extra filters from BH Photo.