User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Canon 35L Vs Zeiss 35mm f/2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Canon 35L Vs Zeiss 35mm f/2

I can't decide which to get?!? (the zeiss 1.4 is another 500 more than the canon so it has been excluded)

I have been scouring the net for reviews but not really getting any great comparisons (all very one sided). Essentially this lens would be used for group portraits at events, weddings and possibly in some fashion/general portraiture (in tight spaces or where I want to exaggerate space a little. Plus, some landscape shots... Gee I'm not asking for much :P

Does anyone have any insights/examples as to which is the superior lens? Or is it a much of a muchness kind of thing (I don't mind manual focus and I'm aware the zeiss is slower but I can use a speedlight to compensate)

Ooh and I'd be using it on a 5D Mark II

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you looked at the Alt forum at fredmiranda.com ?

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/board/55

The reviews/replies there tend to be based on personal experience, rather than heresay, and are usually very good. If you post the question there you will have no shortage of experienced replies.

If you are tending to shoot stopped down, as you would for group shots or landscapes, then you might find the difference between the 2 lenses narrows as most quality lenses are about equal when stopped down. Rendering differences also tend to narrow, in general. Of course there are differences, and some of the minor ones might be very important to your application too, but the differences tend to show themselves when a lens is wide open rather than when stopped down.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that! I asked and they delivered... however I ended up going with the Zeiss 35mm 1.4 as I found it for only 100 more than the Canon 35L... I'm told it will arrive tomorrow or Monday! So excited... I feel like a bit of a nutter spending so much on a lens XD

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SamanthaB View Post
    Thanks for that! I asked and they delivered... however I ended up going with the Zeiss 35mm 1.4 as I found it for only 100 more than the Canon 35L... I'm told it will arrive tomorrow or Monday! So excited... I feel like a bit of a nutter spending so much on a lens XD
    Yeah, I saw, I'm a regular there although I had nothing to add to your thread. Good luck with the Zeiss. One thing I would suggest, and this applies to any new lens, test it thoroughly (Live View, Silent Mode (ie mirror lockup), on a tripod, at close range and at infinity and from about F1.4 to about F11) so that YOU understand IT and how it performs in various situations. All lenses have their quirks, maybe they are much better at infinity than close range for example, or similar. Knowing the lens helps to get the most out of it.

JJ

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thrilled with my choice :O) Thanks for the advice about the forum... the dedicated thread filled with 35mm 1.4 photographs won me over. Picked up my lens last night... first shot is the first one I took with this lens... moving car at night XD
    Even with MF it's a beautiful (and easy) lens to use... makes my 5D mark II feel very flimsy XD
    1st shot! by Dreams Of Whimsy, on Flickr

Charlie by Dreams Of Whimsy, on Flickr

Genghis by Dreams Of Whimsy, on Flickr

Camelia SOOC by Dreams Of Whimsy, on Flickr

Genghis by Dreams Of Whimsy, on Flickr

Charlie by Dreams Of Whimsy, on Flickr

Pop! by Dreams Of Whimsy, on Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sam,
    where did you pick up your zeiss. I have been trying to forget about it for a couple of months , but whenever i see images taken with it , i am reminded of its special quality.
    I considered the f2, instead of the 35L, but do want the wider aperture for street at night.
    I too will put it on a 5dmkii.
    Last edited by Cjcc67; 29-06-2012 at 12:09am.