Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

broke my Canon 50mm F1.4 ... considering replacements

Hi,
    So I have dropped a lens for the first time. Luckily it's my cheapest one...
    I use a crop sensor Canon body, the 7D.

My current collection goes like this :
    - 10-20 f/4 : for landspace, indoors and "funny effects"
    - 30 f1.4 (all-around 50 "equivalent" - the most used)
    - 50 f1.4 : the broken one. I used it for portrait and as a slightly longer walk-around
    - 100 f/2 : portrait + action

+ sometimes I get to borrow a 70-200 f/2.8L IS II but since it's not mine it's inconsistent.

So now that I have to replace the lens to fill the gap between 30mm and 100mm, I'm considering a few options :
    Canon EF 50mm F1.4 ($380): same one I broke. Build quality is not too good, images are nice enough though they look nothing like the fantastic Sigma 30 1.4
    Canon EFS 60mm 2.8 ($450): super sharp as any macro lens, could do macro (I don't do macro but why not try). Not so fast for a prime, could be hunting a bit for focus in low-ish light, it's and EF-S so not useful for the day I upgrade to FF.
    Tamron 60mm f/2 macro ($480) : can't do FF either, is a tad longer which I don't mind at all. Can do macro. Seems like a good short term choice. Not sure about how good its image quality is, and more than anything else, how fast the focus is, since its a macro
    Sigma 50mm F1.4 ($480) : less sharp than the Canon, superior bokeh and build quality, a bit bigger/heavier too
    Or I could go a totally other road and get the new Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8 with image stabilization, which has super good reviews. It's a bit heavy, I'd have to try it in a shop to know how it feels. When I go FF it means I'd have to buy a fast 50, but I'd already have a fast all-around lens. A bit expensive but useful long term.

What are your thoughts? Not too sure about what to do. The two tamron lenses seem awesome, though the crop sensor only part annoys me a bit on the 60 f/2. Not sure what the resale value is either, Canon lenses tend to keep their value better.
    I intend to upgrade to FF when the 5D3 goes under or at least very close to $3000 which will realistically happen it a year or so (won't go for the 5D2, it can't focus in low light and I'm a sucker for low light)
    Last edited by patrickv; 10-06-2012 at 2:34am.