Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2

Thread: Lightroom 4.1 performance improvement

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightroom 4.1 performance improvement

I've just been playing with some downloaded raw files for the D800 and the 5D3 to see what all the fuss was about

Anyway, I had to download Lightroom 4.1 to be able to play with the Canon files, I never really had an issue with V4.0 in terms of performance so didn't bother with the update. But now that I have, I've found the performance improvement is huge! Even on a D800 48MB NEF file it rockets along!

So if you're a Lightroom user and don't have 4.1, go and download it right NOW! You'll love it
    Mic

Photography is the art of telling stories with light.

www.michaelgoulding.com

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you mean dimroom has nearly caught up with Nikon Capture NX2?

And why are you mucking around with the baby sized Nikon files, be a man and take on the 80mb uncompressed images, they still fly along in NX2 but might crash an a$obe product.

Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks. it needed a performace lift
    canon 5D mark III tamron 24-70 2.8 vc, 50mm 1.8, tamrom 70-200 2.8 vc, remote tripod
    perseverance

Rob

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree on the performance improvement! Also noticed that switching between Library and Development views are much faster, almost instantaneous now!
    D7000
    18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G VR, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 50mm f/1.8D, SB-700

SX230 HS

Edit OK...Please provide details
    Link to my photos

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL! .. typical Andrew!

Had to update to 4.1 to get D800 support just recently too..

From a Nikon perspective.. I see it Andrew's way too.

Capture NX2 is slightly slower to start up initially, but once up and running, CNX2 and LR 4.1 seem to be about similar in their speed of opening up D800 files.
    ViewNX2 is far quicker in every aspect!! compared to both(on my PC).

Where CNX2 is quicker than LR4.1 (in my playings with them all) .. is when trying to compare two different images 'side by side'
    For example when I was trying to see for myself the differences between similarly shot D800 and D800E files, my preferred method of comparing images is to superimpose them over each other and Ctrl-Alt(in CNX2) between the two open files.
    Doing this In CNX2 simply switches from one image to the next .. no waiting, no re-rendering just a quick flick from one image to the other as you press the Crtl-Alt routine on the keyboard.
    Took me a while to figure out how to achieve a similar manner or rendering in LR4.1 (I am a LR newb afterall!!) .. and it turns out to be as simple as pressing the -> and <- keys on the keyboard .. similar to ViewNX2.
    In VNX2 the transition form one image to the next is instantaneous again, but in LR4.1 there is about a 10-15sec rendering delay.(I'm viewing at 100% OR 1:1)
    Quite annoying when you want to flick transposed images over each other and makes it harder, if not impossible to visualise the differences between images.

This rendering delay is where LR falls to pieces for me ATM.. and in general all round. I'm finding it a wee bit sluggish compared to my standard working manner.

Has some very interesting tools tho, and I have to give it credit where it's due.
    Due to the difference in my usual processing method, I find it hard to get used to how the tools work, but I've found out how to use the brush tool to remove moire in images in a localised manner.
    CaptureNX2 has a moire reduction tool, but you can't 'paint' it selectively ..

One annoying aspect of using the brush that can be improved upon in LR4.1 .. the ability to use more brushes for varying edit step types, without defaulting to the last previously used brush settings.
    That is, when a new brush setting is required and all I want is moire reduction, then the brush should be set by default with all the last previously used edits. Makes it very annoying to have to reset the brush every time to use for selective editing.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by etherial View Post
    I've just been playing with some downloaded raw files for the D800 and the 5D3 to see what all the fuss was about

Anyway, I had to download Lightroom 4.1 to be able to play with the Canon files, I never really had an issue with V4.0 in terms of performance so didn't bother with the update. But now that I have, I've found the performance improvement is huge! Even on a D800 48MB NEF file it rockets along!

So if you're a Lightroom user and don't have 4.1, go and download it right NOW! You'll love it
    So you are not aware of this then http://forums.adobe.com/thread/971581?tstart=30

Quite a few people have had problems with lightroom 4 being slow, which were for some not solved either by lightroom 4.1RC1, or RC2, or the full 4.1.
    The only way I solved my slow problems, which were particularly noticeable in the develop module with the sharpness and noise sliders, was by an upgrade of the computer. LR4 then became an expensive upgrade.
    The age of entitlement isn't over, it's just over there where you can't get to it.
    When several possibilities exist, the simplest solution is the best.
    "There are no rules" Bruce Barnbaum, The art of Photography
    Graham

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Graham, yes I had heard of some people having issues and I didn't really notice any major problems myself, but after the upgrade I found it to be noticeably better. Not sure why some people are having the issues they are.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by etherial View Post
    Not sure why some people are having the issues they are.
    I think you are not alone in that.