Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  29
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My names Dave and im an Alcoholic

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the ideas you have offered me Rick. I have tried contacting the Ranger in charge of volunteer workers and I gave up, Hard man to catch and I don't like phones, I would rather speak to him in person. I read the local rag to late last week They were doing a lyrebird count this weekend. The council idea is a ripper I recon as it could open lots of doors for me.
    Who would have thought that some one like Kerry Packer would do volunteer work, Bloody good on him

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by KevPride View Post
    Dave, very brave to come out on a public forum like this. Well done & I hope you do set small goals & stick to them.

Good wishes for the future.
    Thanks kev I have accomplished my first goal today which is start 1 hour later than the norm/2pm I have just finished my first. small steps is what its going to take. Cheers mate

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    Well Dave, I actually think your contributions add to AP. (true story)
    Also you have my permission to try and offend me. Think you'll offend Rick (and mods) before that happens.
    Seriously though, I can't really offer advise, other than good luck on your journey, and I hope it works out for you.
    I do say some stupid things trying to add some humor to my posts but I think deep down it is to hide the fact that I am not a happy person at the moment and i will try my hardest not to offend. Thanks Mark
    Canon 7d efs 15-85mm, Sigma 150-500mm. Nicon coolpix 5400

Going Cold Blooded
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All the best Dave, it actually took myself getting my stomach pumped (twice) before I said "this can't be good for ya!"

Hang in there mate, I'm sure a lot of AP'ers are rooting for ya
    Canon 7D Mark II

Adam Brice

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffsta View Post
    Every friday night at work there is an AA meeting. (I don't go myself, but I do meet a lot of them) They are also a great bunch of people. AA is a big concern now days. As big as Lions or Rotary clubs. Often I get to meet people from all over Australia that are maybe in the region for a holiday, but still go to a meeting. So it's not always "Hi I'm Dave. And I'm a alcholic"
    Thats a great company offering that service Geoff, it shows that they care for their workers I have been to two AA meetings but it was a long time ago I think they are held to late I recon as I need the support from midday onwards You are right they are top blokes just battling a bad disease, I did hear some funny stories at AA, I might have to go just for a laugh.
    I originally went to AA to look good for the magistrate.
    Its a long story and nothing but nothing to bad as I was mainly innocent (as we all cry) I would not leave my best mate/cousin so I got stuck in his trouble, My worst charge was drink driving so now I don't drive after 2pm

I listen to a scanner during my sleepless nights and 99% of trouble is alcohol related, Its a big social problem.

I don't mind telling my story as we were not all goody two shoes when were young.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks John, Am, Macca, Dave, Ionica, Waz, blkmcs, Benny, Kev, Mark, Lance, kevin and Richard, I hope I didnt miss anyone.
    I am finding the responses a bit overwhelming, Its hard answering all posts especially at my pace lol.
    You have no idea on the way I feel about all the responses and support that you have offered and the PMs its good to get my problem out in the open, to share them with my online friends, it has boosted my confidence so much, thank you all

I will check back later, I think its time to look at some threads

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dave you have just touched my heart and I wish you all the best. I feel you will be free of the grog as you have just done the 1st and hardest step.

The things you see when you dont have a camera.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dave. Good on you for taking the first step.

I can't even imagine what you're facing but wish you all the best with your struggle.

As far as volunteering goes our Daughter has started a Uni course that has a work/volunteer compulsory component in environmental science settings and she has signed up for a couple of friends groups, as in friends of a couple of local parks/gardens organisations. You'll also find friends of other type of community assets.

And how about the local mens shed. I've just started going to our local one as I had a couple of projects I wanted to work on, and assumed thats what they are for. Turns out they are ment to be a social forum for men to meet and chat and share all sorts of things with others. Turn up when you feel like it, talk, have a cup of coffee, help others with what they're doing, etc:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best wishes Dave - I hope you find something you enjoy doing more which helps break the habit.

The Commander
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Me neither Dave, all good hear. I here what you are saying mate - I dont think it is going to be easy but you have made the first steps and one day at a time. Cant say I work with people problems a lot mate and this next statement may sound odd but - I work with horses a lot and thy have taught me a lot about myself. If I dont ask too much of them in training and dont exceed there expectations of me, the training goes well. So it doesn't matter if it takes 100 days to get to 100%, the fact is we both got there with a good feeling about ourselves and a good relationship with a healthy respect for each other. I have applied this to myself over time and I think it works.

Dave, I have no experience with what you are going through, but I have had a couple of over challenges over the yrs so take it a day at a time, respect yourself and each day be grateful for just one thing in your life that may help you deal with your problems.
    Look forward to seeing more of you on the forum - just some corny advise from an old horseman. :-)
    Please be honest with your Critique of my images. I may not always agree, but I will not be offended - CC assists my learning and is always appreciate

https://mikeathome.smugmug.com/

Canon 5D3 - Gripped, EF 70-200 L IS 2.8 MkII, , 24-105 L 4 IS MkI, 580 EX II Speedlite, 2x 430 Ex II Speedlite

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Dave, congratulations on taking the first step. You are very brave indeed!
    I am sure that there will be good days and bad days ahead and days when you'll fall off the wagon. Don't beat yourself up about it too badly, just pick yourself up, dust yourself off and get back on the wagon again.
    Good luck & Stay strong
    Jodie

Gear - Canon EOS 7D, EOS 6D, 24-105 F4, 70-200 F2.8L IS, Canon EF 100mm 2.8 Macro, Sigma 10-20mm, nifty fifty, EF2xII, 580EX, 430EXII, EFx2 III and a long wishlist

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dave you've never offended me either. You've just done the hardest thing you'll ever have to do..... admit you have a problem. I know this, because I once had a problem myself ( not really something I want to go into detail on here ). You will get through this, it will be a long hard slog, but I know you can do it.
    Best Of luck with it all!!! know that we're all behind you 100% of the way!
    Happy to take all constructive Critique, please don't rework or edit my photos. Thanks!

Canon 6D, 2 Canon 50D's gripped, Canon 1000D, Canon 70-200 F2.8 ( non IS),Canon 70-200 2.8, Canon 24-70 2.8, Sigma 85 1.4, Canon 50mm F1.8.. yongnuo speedlights and triggers, and manfrotto tripods.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmm I don't think I've been offended with anything you said - just amusingly random at times!
    I hope you find the right help in the community for you
    Call me Dylan! www.everlookphotography.com | www.everlookphotography.wordpress.com | www.flickr.com/photos/dmtoh
    Canon EOS R5, : 16-35mm F4 L, 70-200F4 canon L, 24-70mm 2.8IIcanon L, Sirui tripod + K20D ballhead + RRS ballhead. |Sony A7r2 + Laowa 12mm F2.8, Nisi 15mm F4
    Various NiSi systems : Currently using switch filter and predominantly 6 stop ND, 10 stop ND, 3 stop medium GND
    Post : Adobe lightroom classic CC : Photoshop CC. Various actions for processing and web export

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I cannot imagine how hard it must have been for you to work up the courage to sit before your keyboard and type out what you did and then how much courage it took to hit the "post" button. You have made a HUGE leap into the first steps in being able to deal with your drinking problem. I hope and pray that you have good friends and even more understanding family to help you on one of the hardest journeys of your life. I am sure the rewards at the end of the journey, when you can hold up your head and be proud of who you are and what you have overcome, will be well worth the struggle and torment that you face in trying to kick such an insidious additction. I wish you all the luck in the world and hope that you take advantage of the help that has been offered here by your AP family.
    Now might be a great time to dust off your camera and get back out in the field just taking photos of everything and anything. Set yourself a goal each day to get a photo of a particular type, genre, aspect. Your love of photography might just help pull you through. And Rick's suggestion of volunteering is a very good idea. Beat the tedium and boredom, get out there doing SOMETHING and it will take you mind off reaching for the bottle.
    Get as much help as you can, because this will help make it an easier journey.
    Go out there and be strong and most of all be proud, proud that you have had the guts to take the hardest step of your life ... admitting and recognising that you had a problem, and then telling others about it. You have a recipe for success already

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Volunteering seems to be cropping () up. I'm guessing the C.F.A. have some rolls to fill that don't involve jumping on the back of a truck and putting out fires. In the N.S.W. Rural Fire Service I've become very involve in communications, logistics and training (not going anywhere near a fire!).
    Two steps forward, one step back means you get somewhere slowly. Again, good luck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You must be VERY proud of yourself for making that brave first step.With a lot of self respect youll make it.My thoughts are with you.
    Wayne

Canon 7D and stuff
    Olympus OMD - EM10

https://www.flickr.com/photos/34371137@N03/

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fjoe45 View Post
    Dave you have just touched my heart and I wish you all the best. I feel you will be free of the grog as you have just done the 1st and hardest step.

Thanks Buddy so far so good. Since starting this thread I have had, day1=3 day2=7 day3=3 and thats a whole lot better than 10 or more which I had been having. Cheers Dave

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Boo53 View Post
    Dave. Good on you for taking the first step.

I can't even imagine what you're facing but wish you all the best with your struggle.

As far as volunteering goes our Daughter has started a Uni course that has a work/volunteer compulsory component in environmental science settings and she has signed up for a couple of friends groups, as in friends of a couple of local parks/gardens organisations. You'll also find friends of other type of community assets.

And how about the local mens shed. I've just started going to our local one as I had a couple of projects I wanted to work on, and assumed thats what they are for. Turns out they are ment to be a social forum for men to meet and chat and share all sorts of things with others. Turn up when you feel like it, talk, have a cup of coffee, help others with what they're doing, etc:
    I dont know how your Mens shed operates John, our local shed charges $30 per day+ material, if you do your own project so thats out. As for the Friends of the parks I have been trying to contact the organizing ranger, So far no good .
    One of the parks is a Beautiful rain Forrest and I definitely want to sign up so I will keep at it. Thanks for the Support John

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Allie View Post
    Best wishes Dave - I hope you find something you enjoy doing more which helps break the habit.
    Thanks Allie. I have to find my mo-jo Which over the last couple of unemployed years has vanished But I plan to get back into the swing of things. Cheers. I appreciate it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by outstar79 View Post
    All the best Dave, it actually took myself getting my stomach pumped (twice) before I said "this can't be good for ya!"

Hang in there mate, I'm sure a lot of AP'ers are rooting for ya
    Wow Adam I have drank some grog mate but never had that happen, good wake up call 15 years ago I was drinking a slab a day at times, and having them for breckie...

- - - Updated - - -

Heading to Walhalla shortly. they are celebrating/re-enacting the Queens Diamond Jubilee, So I better get Cracking Thanks Every one. I am like the Support

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikew09 View Post
    Me neither Dave, all good hear. I here what you are saying mate - I dont think it is going to be easy but you have made the first steps and one day at a time. Cant say I work with people problems a lot mate and this next statement may sound odd but - I work with horses a lot and thy have taught me a lot about myself. If I dont ask too much of them in training and dont exceed there expectations of me, the training goes well. So it doesn't matter if it takes 100 days to get to 100%, the fact is we both got there with a good feeling about ourselves and a good relationship with a healthy respect for each other. I have applied this to myself over time and I think it works.

Dave, I have no experience with what you are going through, but I have had a couple of over challenges over the yrs so take it a day at a time, respect yourself and each day be grateful for just one thing in your life that may help you deal with your problems.
    Look forward to seeing more of you on the forum - just some corny advise from an old horseman. :-)
    Animals are great companions mick and I understand what you are saying. My best shots from today were of Horses I have owned and ridden nags over the years mate and the last one was a spooky thing and would shy from its own shadow, so I fell off it a few times

Today I carried the 7d around my neck off and on for 4 hours and now I am suffering "BAD", with my Arthritis pain 45 and I am stuffed Thats how I feel...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by FallingHorse View Post
    Hey Dave, congratulations on taking the first step. You are very brave indeed!
    I am sure that there will be good days and bad days ahead and days when you'll fall off the wagon. Don't beat yourself up about it too badly, just pick yourself up, dust yourself off and get back on the wagon again.
    Good luck & Stay strong
    Thanks Jodie So for I have cut back and have felt better with positive thoughts too, but Tonight the Wagon is a bit wobbly
    Appreciate the post

A. P's Culinary Indiscriminant
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you have never offended Mongo. Besides, if there is any offending to be done on this site, it will be Mongo doing the offending !

Mongo thinks you contribute more than you realise. You appear to be taking the right measures to help yourself and hopefully others will contribute back to you for your needs.

Mongo agrees with Rick also in relation to the boredom. That may be one aspect you can help yourself more directly with. Mongo knows there are schools and community centres that would love to offer assistance to young people and seniors wanting to learn about photography.

Look forward to your AP posts as always.
    Nikon and Pentax user

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to add another voice - I've never thought your posts were offensive either. I admire your attitude and your courage, I find it hard to put a photo up for critique, let alone something as personal as this. Good on you!!

P.S. Cool avatar, Angus rocks! I hope his music gives you as much pleasure as it gives me
    Steve

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by yummymummy View Post
    Dave you've never offended me either. You've just done the hardest thing you'll ever have to do..... admit you have a problem. I know this, because I once had a problem myself ( not really something I want to go into detail on here ). You will get through this, it will be a long hard slog, but I know you can do it.
    Best Of luck with it all!!! know that we're all behind you 100% of the way!
    Thanks Kirsty. It is good to know that there is so many members offering support and hopefully overtime I will beat it.
    I know that I can not stop instantly and there are risks of seizures so it is one day at a time. If I go without for a couple of day I just binge next few days and that is not good.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dtoh View Post
    hmm I don't think I've been offended with anything you said - just amusingly random at times!
    I hope you find the right help in the community for you
    Thanks Dylan. I do have a wacky sense of hummer and some time stick my foot in my mouth. Cheers mate

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by aussie girl View Post
    I cannot imagine how hard it must have been for you to work up the courage to sit before your keyboard and type out what you did and then how much courage it took to hit the "post" button. You have made a HUGE leap into the first steps in being able to deal with your drinking problem. I hope and pray that you have good friends and even more understanding family to help you on one of the hardest journeys of your life. I am sure the rewards at the end of the journey, when you can hold up your head and be proud of who you are and what you have overcome, will be well worth the struggle and torment that you face in trying to kick such an insidious additction. I wish you all the luck in the world and hope that you take advantage of the help that has been offered here by your AP family.
    Now might be a great time to dust off your camera and get back out in the field just taking photos of everything and anything. Set yourself a goal each day to get a photo of a particular type, genre, aspect. Your love of photography might just help pull you through. And Rick's suggestion of volunteering is a very good idea. Beat the tedium and boredom, get out there doing SOMETHING and it will take you mind off reaching for the bottle.
    Get as much help as you can, because this will help make it an easier journey.
    Go out there and be strong and most of all be proud, proud that you have had the guts to take the hardest step of your life ... admitting and recognising that you had a problem, and then telling others about it. You have a recipe for success already
    It was not hard at all ag I was calling out for help and I have received it from you and other members.
    Today I went to the local counsel and dse to inquire about volunteer work and am waiting on some phone calls.
    My counselor wants me to start 1 hour later than I normally do and to have at least one less can And so far I have met the goals.
    She also suggested that I leave the empties in front of me so that I can keep an eye on my consumption Which is a good idea I feel. Cheers and thanks for the reply, Advice and support aussie girl

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    Volunteering seems to be cropping () up. I'm guessing the C.F.A. have some rolls to fill that don't involve jumping on the back of a truck and putting out fires. In the N.S.W. Rural Fire Service I've become very involve in communications, logistics and training (not going anywhere near a fire!).
    Two steps forward, one step back means you get somewhere slowly. Again, good luck.
    I want to volunteer for the dse with something regarding Wild Life studies/flora and fauna, and hopefully some great photo opportunities might arise because they travel where the general public cant.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rookie View Post
    You must be VERY proud of yourself for making that brave first step.With a lot of self respect youll make it.My thoughts are with you.
    Cheers Wayne Starting this thread is a great confidence Boost, It is Thanks mate

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mongo View Post
    you have never offended Mongo. Besides, if there is any offending to be done on this site, it will be Mongo doing the offending !

Mongo thinks you contribute more than you realise. You appear to be taking the right measures to help yourself and hopefully others will contribute back to you for your needs.
    Mongo agrees with Rick also in relation to the boredom. That may be one aspect you can help yourself more directly with. Mongo knows there are schools and community centres that would love to offer assistance to young people and seniors wanting to learn about photography.

Look forward to your AP posts as always.
    Love you and your humor Mongo and I recon you would eat a Black snake with a festered butt.. I do need something to fill in my time during the day but the evenings is where I need to keep busy, like NOW. I am enjoying a Beer at the moment while chatting on ap but I have to learn to control my consumption and slowly cut back until hopefully I am sober.

What is Mongo's most unusual native food that he has tried I am interested... Mine has been road kill Goanna and I liked it

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by fenderstrat1963 View Post
    Just to add another voice - I've never thought your posts were offensive either. I admire your attitude and your courage, I find it hard to put a photo up for critique, let alone something as personal as this. Good on you!!

P.S. Cool avatar, Angus rocks! I hope his music gives you as much pleasure as it gives me
    Thanks fender and going by you name and avatar you love the guitar too Me too and would love to have learned to play, too old now though.
    Don't be scared to post images mate we are all here to help. AP is a great forum and the most professional that I have come across and as you can see from this thread that AP has more to offer than just photographic advice.
    I think Angus Is the best Man, He dose Rock If I ever visit WA/Fremantle would be my first stop to pay tribute to Bon
    Last edited by Duane Pipe; 12-06-2012 at 5:44pm.

A. P's Culinary Indiscriminant
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Duane Pipe View Post
    ... I recon you would eat a Black snake with a festered butt..

What is Mongo's most unusual native food that he has tried I am interested... Mine has been road kill Goanna and I liked it
    As to the happy consumption of a black snake with the festered Butt.......Mongo only let you watch on the basis you would not tell

as to the native food that Mongo most desires, Mongo must say, no matter where he is or whatever country or whatever he is doing, the best native food is usually the natives !
    Last edited by mongo; 12-06-2012 at 7:56pm.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast