User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: 600ex-rt canon falsh and canon 5d Mk2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

600ex-rt canon falsh and canon 5d Mk2

Can anyone who is using the 600ex-rt canon flash with a 5dmk2 please provide your opinion of the flash on this camera.

I currently have a 5dmk2 and a 430ex ii falsh. I am looking at upgrading to bigger flash either the 600ex or the 580ex. The 600ex seems to have nice features and from some report may be a better more diffused flash.

Your opinions or experiences please with this combination.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have the 600EX-RT but I do have the 580EXII. I am not familiar with the radio transmitter facility on the 600. I do know that with the 580EXII it can be used as a master, leaving your 430EXII as the slave. To me that makes for a reasonable combination and a tad cheaper than upgrading to the 600 models.

Roy

5D MkIII gripped; EF 17-40 f/4L; EF 24-105 f/4L; EF 50 f/1.8; EF 135 f/2L; 580EXII; Manfrotto 055XPROB & 308RC ballhead; Computrekker Plus AW
    My Photobucket / My flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also have a 5d2 and a 430EX, and also looking for a large flash. I have found though that the 580exII is now hard to find and that the 600EX is selling for around the same price, so why would you bother with the 580! From all the reviews the 600 is a much better flash and also has the dot matrix display etc.
    However, I still dont have one...yet...

Regards
    Tony

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi...
    I was about to buy a 2nd 580EXII and all of a sudden along comes the 600.
    When I bought my 7D, the brochure said the camera had wireless flash control, so being a amateur (ham) radio operator, I assumed it meant radio frequencies, but no, it's infrared frequencies same as a tv remote. You can bounce the signal off walls but go outside in the bright light or around fluro tubes and there are problems. The 5dII and 5DIII can't remote control the 580 or 600 by infrared or radio frequencies without the additional of another master flash on top of the camera or the new wireless controller for the 5DmkIII.
    The 60D and 7D use the popup flash to control the 580 and 600 by infrared but the 5DII and 5dIII have no popup flash. Why not Canon??? The Nikon D800 does.

I think the 600 may be more expensive but designed for the future. As it has infrared and wireless radio control both, then wireless radio control may be inbuilt into the bodies of new versions of Canon DSLR's to come. Wireless radio control in the 600 means you will have far greater options and ranges outdoors.

I don't know if the new 5dIII radio controller works on the 5DII I would be interested to know.
    Last edited by flashc; 16-07-2012 at 2:55am. Reason: spelling
    Canon EOS 7D Mk II, Canon 70D, Canon G12, Canon EF-S 15-85mm, EF 70-200 L f4 IS, 580EX II