User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  16
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you ever have 'internet' problems when using the Austalian Photography website?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you ever have 'internet' problems when using the Austalian Photography website?

Do you ever have problems with the Australian Photography website?

i.e. pages not loading, pages really slow to load, the site just completely stops responding and Internet Explorer pops up a window saying so and asks if you want to recover the website, pages hanging and you lose entire posts, the window pop up "Do you wish to leave this page" etc etc etc?

I can't believe I'm Robinson Crusoe with these problems. And it's only here (sometimes one other 'tog forum gives me the "Do you wish to leave this page" pop up window) unfortunately it severely limits my enjoyment of the forum.

I'm on multiple forums and have been since 1998 I don't have any problems with the multitude of other forums I belong to. I really don't understand why I've had such a problem with AP as listed above and can't understand why if I was the only one that suffers these really frustrating issues trying to view posts and to join in and make posts.

I've brought this up a few times and Kym has been really helpful, but an answer has never eventuated to resolve the issues I keep having. Yes I do use IE, please it's no use 20 people hopping on to this thread and saying that IE is the problem. IE works perfectly for me on all other forums as mentioned earlier.

I'm with Internode on a fast broadband connection.

Any help (besides dumping IE ) would be really appreciated for me once and for all resolving this frustrating user issue with AP.

Am I the only one or do other people have the same problem(s)?
    Last edited by JimD; 04-06-2012 at 4:23pm.
    f o t o w o r x

People taking the time out to give me CC is always very much appreciated

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    not since we moved to the new server, no. Its always been reliable since then.

It could well be one of your IE add-ons is not happy with the AP software. You could disable all your add-ons and try the site, then one at a time, re-enable them, and check the site between each one. If you find once you enable one, it hangs AP, then it could very well be that the IE add-on is causing some sort of conflict.
    Last edited by ricktas; 04-06-2012 at 4:38pm.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    never had a problem since update
    cheers macca

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimD View Post
    I'm on multiple forums and have been since 1998 I don't have any problems with the multitude of other forums I belong to. I really don't understand why I've had such a problem with AP as listed above and can't understand why if I was the only one that suffers these really frustrating issues trying to view posts and to join in and make posts.

I've brought this up a few times and Kym has been really helpful, but an answer has never eventuated to resolve the issues I keep having. Yes I do use IE, please it's no use 20 people hopping on to this thread and saying that IE is the problem. IE works perfectly for me on all other forums as mentioned earlier.
    Hi Jim. Kym will have better advice but I do believe there are problems with the vBulletin software supporting particular versions of IE properly. It would help to know which version you are on. As Rick suggests, it would also help to know which plug-ins you have installed.

I have no problems at all with AP since the server upgrade. Before then it didn't seem to matter what I did, the AP experience was a nightmare at some times and a joy at others. Of course I'm running Safari from an iMac, so there is no direct comparison, but any problems I have these days are usually down to BigPong.

I hope you get the issues sorted but our admins Kym and Tom will need to know some more details first.
    Waz
    Be who you are and say what you mean, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss...
    D700 | D7000 | Nikkor AF-S 18-55 DX 1:3.5-5.6G | Nikkor AF-S 55-300 DX 1:4.5-5.6 G ED | Nikkor AF 50 f/1.8D | Optex OPM2930 tripod/monopod | Enthusiasm ...
    My Flickr images ...

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim, I've turned on performance reporting on your account.
    You should start seeing performance info at the bottom of the page.
    eg:
    Uptime: 55 Days 2:45:56 MySQL Uptime: 29 Days 8:06:12 Page generated in 0.219 seconds with 24 queries Memory: 10.25 Mb [Server Load Averages (1:5:15) 0.35 : 0.29 : 0.29]
    That will let you see if you are having issues due to the server or network.
    If Page generated in x.xx > 1 second there is a possible server issue, otherwise its network.
    BTW The server is located in LA, it was Houston previously (Early March), as a result there should be a minor network improvement.

I don't get issues at home or work, I'm also with 'node at home.
    I only use IE for testing occasionally.

We use Yahoo and Google CDNs i.e. the main re-usable javascript components load from either Yahoo or Google rather than our server.

The CKeditor (rich editor) loads from the server.

As an interim, switch to basic editor in you Settings. See: http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for..._editor_issues

Please keep me informed as there maybe an issue we have not detected.

BTW: There was a slight issue (slowness) for 10 minutes last night ~7pm while I refreshed the test environment, but most should not have noticed that.

Edit: IE8+ is fully supported, IE 6&7 support stops after Friday's upgrade
    Last edited by Kym; 04-06-2012 at 4:56pm.
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have problems with the internet on any site. Even Google Chrome now sometimes wants to go slow.

After all my laments (search if you want) I'm about to conclude it's my bloated computer.

That's when I'm not thinking it's just the ISP.
    Am.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Ausphotography Site Sponsor/Advertiser OzzieTraveller's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day Jim + Kym

I have problems 2-3-4 times a week also > but i'm 99% sure its network related [Kym can relax]
    As I travel Oz I mostly use Optus coverage & when I don't have Optus I use Telstra
    I use a USB modem + on-the-roof fringe-area antenna to get best reception in the motorhome

[in case you wonder why the 2 services, Optus is 1/3 the price of telstra - so I use it mostly. I get Optus coverage on 90% of locations/country towns around eastern Oz, with Telstra in 95% of locations > the difference is negligable and it is surprising the places I go where there is no Telstra but there is Optus ... but that's all another issue]

When in towns with both providers I have often switched USB modems to see if there is any perceivable performance differences and by & large, they're identical ... both slow to medium

Back to the OP
    I find on too-many occasions that a download including 2-3-4 images takes 60 - 90 seconds and often I get half-images and big empty spaces [again, both Optus & Telstra]. Pressing the F5 - reset key will often restart & refreseh the screens, but that is another 60 - 90 - 120 seconds waiting time

Thus, on many occasions I just "admire" the top half of the various images and go 'next-please' ... and move on

ps- btw- using firefox-12
    Regards, Phil
    Last edited by OzzieTraveller; 04-06-2012 at 5:14pm.
    Of all the stuff in a busy photographers kitbag, the ability to see photographically is the most important
    google me at Travelling School of Photography
    images.: flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OzzieTraveller View Post
    Back to the OP
    I find on too-many occasions that a download including 2-3-4 images takes 60 - 90 seconds and often I get half-images and big empty spaces [again, both Optus & Telstra]. Pressing the F5 - reset key will often restart & refreseh the screens, but that is another 60 - 90 - 120 seconds waiting time

Thus, on many occasions I just "admire" the top half of the various images and go 'next-please' ... and move on

ps- btw- using firefox-12
    Regards, Phil
    Are these images 'linked' from photobucket etc, or uploaded to AP. Would be interesting to know. Linked images can be any KB size, so if someone links say a 1MB file, that is going to take ages to download. We do not have control over the KB size of linked photos.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a few problems the past week very late at night and early morning after 12am If I start a new post they are starting to hang there again
    I wait for a few minutes and if its still there with that Waiting for... sign at the bottom of the page I open another window get on to AP again to find it's in the forum
    Thankfully we dont lose what we have written now as the Restore Auto-Saved Content brings it up when you get back on if we do lose it.

And apart from yesterday when all the icons on the Reply to Tread turned white and I could not reply, or start a post lasting about 15 minutes
    The site is not that bad at present I do get those * Do you wish to leave this page messages * also
    I thought that a FF issue or something I was doing wrong, yet I do not get those messages on other sites
    Still AP is so much better than before and I dont mind these small problems, though they are no way as bad as what you are experiencing

I shoot with Canon And Olympus Cameras

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm all good IE8( Telstra Bigpong)
    Last edited by William; 04-06-2012 at 6:49pm.
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No Drama, Chook Farmer. (Bigpond)
    Geoff
    Honesty is best policy.
    CC is always welcome
    Nikon D3000 ... Nikon D90... Nikon D700 Various lenses, Home studio equipment and all the associated stuff
    Flickr

Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've just made a few tuning changes and restarted the main services.

We can monitor that for a day or two.

A couple of system jobs run just after midnight AEST.

The full database backup runs 3:07am AEST, but takes the site offline while processing
    Last edited by Kym; 04-06-2012 at 9:26pm.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The *do you wish to leave this page* message is generally displayed after you have started to type a reply, or clicking in the quick reply box. The site thinks you want to write something, so it questions you about leaving the page, as a warning in case you had typed something and forgotten to hit 'post quick reply' etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm all good here on Chromium and Chrome.

Fast fast fast...

Please don't hesitate to provide me with CC! I'd love to hear your thoughts regarding any of my images. Thanks!

Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eberbachl View Post
    I'm all good here on Chromium and Chrome.
    Fast fast fast...
    True but not helpful. Some people are limited to IE due to being (say) a work PC/Notebook.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OMG I just made a hugely long response and forgot to copy before hitting enter and lost the post

Take Two:

Thanks everyone for the responses, much appreciated. Looks like I'm the only one that getting this headache which is good, because that means the site is running well and the problem must be my end....so hopefully rectifiable!

I'm using the latest IE release 9.0.8112.1642 and always the latest FF as it auto updates. I haven't installed or added any accelerators or plugins to either IE or FF.

I use Kaspersky for my internet security.

I was going to set up my IXUS and video for Kym what I actually experience, but that would just show what I go through, it wouldn't actually help in find a resolution to my problem.

When I visit AP on my iPad I don't have any problems what so ever. So thats pointing to the desktop being the problem.

I did reformat desktop around 8 weeks ago and the problem was there before and still after the reformat.

Any help or advice on things to disable or try would be appreciated.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Luckily I remembered to copy and paste it into Word before hitting the reply button this time!

Here's a screen print of the message I get 8/10 when I make a post on AP you can see the window that opens up down the bottom of the page -

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another screen capture, this is the other error message I usually get -

Ausphotography Site Sponsor/Advertiser OzzieTraveller's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day Ricki

Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Are these images 'linked' from photobucket etc, or uploaded to AP. Would be interesting to know. Linked images can be any KB size, so if someone links say a 1MB file, that is going to take ages to download. We do not have control over the KB size of linked photos.
    No idea at this stage - I have not considered it ... but will keep a watch out in future
    I am finding right now [3:45pm] the upload/download in extremely slow > but it could well be local mobile-tower traffic

ps & o/t... I was tickled this morning to read a Telstra sales blurb where in plain language they now admit to service speeds as quote:- Typical download speeds of up to 40Mbps are available in all capital CBD’s (meaning within 5km from GPO), associated airports and selected regional locations (meaning 3km from regional town centre). endquote So their lovely graphics of bigpond having super-duper upload/download speeds etc, ... well here in central Qld it's just "slow to very slow"

Back to the topic at hand ...
    Regards, Phil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still working great here , Hmmm !! 2 Km from the exchange on Cable , Wanna be good , The Goldie is'nt exactly in the bush

Just ran a speed test :
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by William; 05-06-2012 at 5:33pm.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast