User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  10

Thread: Buying from overseas could = huge fine

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Buying from overseas could = huge fine

Seems the government have caught on that some Overseas retailers are providing invoices with goods that are simply to avoid paying customs duty and GST. Get caught being part of it and now you could be fined up to $110,000.00

There are some well known sites that sell photography gear that invoice to ensure the amount on the invoice is under $1000.00, when it isn't.

Something to think about.

http://www.news.com.au/business/onli...-1226379657028
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very Interesting. Have had it happen to me when buying from a certain supplier, didn't realise that it was going to happen though. I had to email them to get the correct invoice! I don't know how they can hold the Recipient responsible? If you order something online overseas or not, you expect the correct invoice?
    Cheers, Brad

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes fair enough too.. I have been told to split my order into two parcels to save on that Tax so I did..

I shoot with Olympus Cameras.. Sometimes Canon and My iPhone SE 2020

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a joke it's laughable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ordered a watch online and it arrived marked as a gift. I felt like telling the sender that if it was a gift, then I wanted my money back.
    My next major purchase came marked with the value of contents listed as "under $50" which again I never requested or had any part in. It was way under the $1000, in fact wasn't even $100, so marking the value as under $50 was a bit unnecessary anyway, but especially because of the low value of what I bought, I'd had nothing to do with them choosing to mark it that way.
    It would be an interesting court case I would think, if you personally had never asked for, or suggested the false invoice, and the seller in another country outside our laws had chosen of their own accord to mark it that way, and the government here then tried to fine you for it. Not sure it would stick unless they showed you requested or arranged it, but then I'm not about to test the theory. Mind you, I'm lucky enough that I'm so broke it won't ever likely affect me, as I can't spend the kind of money needed to have to pay duty. Pays to be poor
    Last edited by Ezookiel; 01-06-2012 at 5:53pm.
    Canon EOS 60D ..... EFS 18-200mm f/3.5 - 5.6 IS - 430 EXII Speedlite - "eBay special" Remote Control Unit - Manfrotto 190XPROB w 804RC2 head.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gerry Harvey must be bleeding.....sorry Gerry.

This is just some more scare tactics. He's opening stores upin Singapore and Ireland the Ireland ones specifically to try and beat importduties.

If customs ever want to prosecute me for an online supplierissueing me with an incorrect receipt after I payed the correct asking amounton their website......I'll see them in court.

Australians have been ripped off forever on prices that wepay, it's a global market and I welcome it, even if the like of Gerry Harveywant to stamp their feet in a futile effort.......welcome to 2012.
    Last edited by Bear Dale; 01-06-2012 at 6:02pm.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Key point:

"The penalties for making a FALSE DECLARATION to Customs can be severe," a Customs and Border Protection spokesperson said.

(my emphasis)

It seems to me to revolve around who makes the declaration. Don't ask for a fake invoice, keep documentation of what you ordered and paid, and be up front with customs about what you paid, and accept whatever GST is liable.

Regards,
    Rob
    Regards, Rob

D600, AF-S 35mm f1.8G DX, AF-S 50mm f1.8G, AF-S 24-85mm f3.5-4.5G ED VR, AF-S 70-300mm F4.5-5.6G VR, Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM
    Photos: geeoverbar.smugmug.com Software: CS6, Lightroom 4

Perpetually Bewildered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hard to see how this is news. Looks like a bit of scare-mongering from the ANRA - the only comment from Customs (a "spokesperson") was a vague line about false declarations.

But good to see Gerry staying level-headed...
    it's no different to me bringing drugs or firearms or anything into the country," Mr Harvey said.

Devastating news about Fashions In The Field though...

Cheers.
    Phil.

Some Nikon stuff. I shoot Mirrorless and Mirrorlessless.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw Harvey Norman stores in SG last week, seemed strange to see them there. Rip off there too mind you.

I import a heck of a lot of things and have not had any issues, and don't foresee any.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm OK with paying the GST.

A recent seller sold me goods for several thousand dollars and provided receipt for under a grand. That I explained was unacceptable and requested a receipt the full amount - what would I use for insurance?

This is also the last grey body I purchase.
    "Nature photography is about choosing a location, crawling through dirt, being bitten by insects and occasionally taking a great image". - Wayne Eddy.

Canon 5D MkIII, Canon 7D, 17-40mm f/4L,
    24-105mm f/4L
    + Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS +400mm f/5.6L + Canon 1.4xTC + Canon 100 EF f2.8 USM + 430-EX

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let's see, the possibilty of a $110,000 fine just to save what in most cases is $100 - $400. It does not stack up does it?
    Lloyd
    Canon 5D2+40D+L+Σ+S100
    Never make the same mistake twice, there are so many new ones, try a different one each day
    Flickr