Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Photography Location Guide - photolocations.com.au

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Photography Location Guide - photolocations.com.au

Hey Guys,

Due to the recent take down of google knol, i decided to put together a website aimed at sharing various photography locations around Australia.

The website is http://www.photolocations.com.au and is still in its early days, so if you decide to use it and have any feedback I would love to hear it! Its based on the old google knol with a map and placemarker to make it easier to find the location.

You can add your own locations by clicking on the "add location" button, adding a username and email and a password will be sent out to you.

Each location post has the option to add your own website or facebook page to the listing so that your photos are credited and users can track the photos back to your page. I also encourage the photos to be watermarked.

At this stage there are mainly only NSW locations, as that is where I am based, so it would be great to get some users from other states adding locations.

As I said still only early days so I would love to get your feedback and some location posts!

Cheers Brad
    Cheers, Brad

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Terms and conditions page = 404! We couldn't find the page!
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol good start

Just checked it here and it loads ok.

Which T&C Link arer you clicking on Andrew, the one in the footer or the one when you upload a photo?

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any of them Brad, also registration attempt gives ---- Fatal error: Call to undefined function registration_email() in /home/photoloc/public_html/wp-content/themes/GeoPlacesv4/library/functions/widgets/login/login.php on line 48

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I @ M View Post
    Any of them Brad, also registration attempt gives ---- Fatal error: Call to undefined function registration_email() in /home/photoloc/public_html/wp-content/themes/GeoPlacesv4/library/functions/widgets/login/login.php on line 48
    Haha stop finding problems

Leave them with me, just cleared the cache and i can see the t&C error, was mucking around with it this morening so a link has gone somewhere

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mercho View Post
    As I said still only early days so I would love to get your feedback and some location posts!
    Quote Originally Posted by mercho View Post
    Haha stop finding problems

Ummmmm, you asked for feedback

Despite the error, registration seems to have worked, I received a confirmation email.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOVE IT!!!!!!
    Cheers and Happy Shooting
    Cindy

Canon 7D, 50mm, 100mm Macro
    Olympus E-30, 9-18mm, 14-54mm, 50-200mm
    Photoshop CS5

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haha just stiring Andrew, its great your picking these things up!

T&C's should be working now.

Not sure why the registration is throwing an error. When you do it not using the sidebar its ok, and even though it throws up the error it still registers, so i might get rid of that login widget!

Thanks again mate

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Attempting to edit profile = You are not allowed to access this part of the site ------ http://www.photolocations.com.au/wp-admin/profile.php

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah editing the profile gives a bit more backend access than im willing to give at this stage i think. Ill get rid of that option i think...

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright, you should now be able to edit your profile using the "Edit Profile" button in the top right once you have logged in

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds good, will check it out. Thanks
    "I press buttons and hope for the best!"
    Check out my Flickr page

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just had a brief look at the website. Very helpful Will have a proper look when I get a chance
    Live Fast Die Fun

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright, login box and editing profile should now all work ok. There are new links in the top right to do this now.

Added a bit more content too.

Thanks for the feedback, upload some new locations!

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great idea, Brad! Registered and tested ok with me. Haven't tried to add a location yet, but will do soon.
    Waz
    Be who you are and say what you mean, because those who matter don't mind don't matter and those who mind don't matter - Dr. Seuss...
    D700 x 2 | Nikkor AF 50 f/1.8D | Nikkor AF 85 f/1.8D | Optex OPM2930 tripod/monopod | Enthusiasm ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great idea, have registered with no problems
    Cheers
    Sandy

New to photography and loving the challenge

Canon EOS 7D , EF-S 18-135mm lens, EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM , EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 IS II, Sigma 10-20mmf4-5.6 EX , Extension tubes.
    Fujifilm finepix S9500

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would love to do what I can on the Victorian side of things.........because I think sites like these are THE greatest idea!
    Kudos to you Brad..............when I get back from Holidays, I will start contributing.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to see the registration side of things is working ok! Thanks for registering and testing it out!

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Brad

I think it's a great idea in principal and I hope it takes off and becomes a great resource. I don't mean for this to sound too critical but I think the following would improve the site.

As is, there is too little information about each specific location. It doesn't really help much so if it doesn't help then why will people use the site? I want to know phone numbers, address, who the relevant authority/owner is, possible costs or restrictions, etc etc. Some of the locations may be in State or National Parks so there will be various restrictions, for example. I'm not saying that everyone else wants that but at the moment all there is is a picture, a brief description and a fairly vague (tbh) location guide. Not everyone who contributes would be able to supply a long list of details but I think you should at least make these fields available and allow people the option to add the info if they have it. Maybe that's too hard.

Film production people could potentially be interested in such a guide too but the info needs to be there to be helpful. Is there anything out there like it?

Also, I would want the info in one place, on your site, and not just linking to facebook half the time. I may be the last person without a facebook page, but I doubt it (there must be a few of us in third world countries).

JJ

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the detailed reply JJ, I can definitely see where you are coming from. Regarding the detail, there are a fair few that i have just added with no information so there is at least one place for each state, but ill see if I can add options for more detail for new locations.

The address is already part of the add location form, you have to set the location on the map, when you load the page there is a little box on the right hand side that you can use to get directions to the site. Ill add an owner/contact field to the add location form as well as a cost field, they could be very useful for certain spots

Not sure where your referring to about the facebook links? There is a social media plugin that displays a small link at the bottom of each page, and on the about and contact page there is a facebook feed in the side bar, but thats about it?? You dont have to click on them to get the info?

Thanks for the feedback

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast