User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  12

Thread: Aipp canon awards 2012

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aipp canon awards 2012

2012 Canon AIPP Australian Professional Photography Awards.......I was amazed at what won the landscape category.....a deserved winner, but not what I expected from a landscape category.

http://www.appa.aippblog.com/?page_id=2599
    Last edited by Kerrie; 31-05-2012 at 9:02pm.

Pentax K-r
    Da 15mm & 70mm Ltds, Fa 35mm f2, F 50mm f1.7
    Da*200mm, Tamron 90mm Macro, Sigma 28-105 f2.8

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Interesting. I have seen this trend toward more digital manipulation, in other AIPP awards (State level) and must admit that personally I am not that enthused by it.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, I'm just going to put it out there with 100% honesty.........I'm amazed......and not in a good way
    but then, that's just beccause I don't produce/like to produce/envisage producing images like that :P
    it would be good if the judges gave some kind of indication that texturisation is what they're looking for- that seems to be 'in' thing
    Call me Dylan! www.everlookphotography.com | www.everlookphotography.wordpress.com | www.flickr.com/photos/dmtoh
    Canon EOS R5, : 16-35mm F4 L, 70-200F4 canon L, 24-70mm 2.8IIcanon L, Sirui tripod + K20D ballhead + RRS ballhead. |Sony A7r2 + Laowa 12mm F2.8, Nisi 15mm F4
    Various NiSi systems : Currently using switch filter and predominantly 6 stop ND, 10 stop ND, 3 stop medium GND
    Post : Adobe lightroom classic CC : Photoshop CC. Various actions for processing and web export

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Fine Art Category seems more appropriate to landscape than the landscape category!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Other than science, environment and nature, there also seems to be a predilection to muted palettes with vibrancy dulled down. I suppose it was only a few years ago that selective colour was the flavour of the day, and now that is almost frowned upon as being to cliched. No doubt we will see people emulating this 'new' standard, till the world moves onto the next deigned 'processing methodology' that is the 'in' thing. Not a single bit of colour to be seen in a landscape winner.

I find the way everyone copies each other, based on the latest 'trends' to be really quite boring!
    Last edited by ricktas; 31-05-2012 at 10:59pm.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so true rick - it's good to know how to do all of those types of images but the skill is selecting when it's appropriate and for me, I still see 90%+ of my landscapes in colour and vibrance!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Forgot to enter this year, but then again - the same trends from last 2 years still prevails. A lot of texture and desaturated photos - predictable

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would hazard a guess and say that if you were a judge in the 2011 eos 5 comp and the prizes were a trip to your facilities in nz and tutorage by said canon ambassador photographer Jackie ranken then it holds no surprise to me that she would be a winner in 'a' category of canon comps!

I do like her stuff by the way but can certainly understand the general concensus in here!
    Cheers and Happy Shooting
    Cindy

Canon 7D, 50mm, 100mm Macro
    Olympus E-30, 9-18mm, 14-54mm, 50-200mm
    Photoshop CS5

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By amazed I meant they weren't what I would class a landscape. Not by far. If I sent someone out to bring back back a beautiful landscape photo and I got them.....I'd be disappointed.

If I sent them out to get some art work , well maybe they'd be getting closer.

But hey, I'm a Pentaxian What do I know

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For various reasons I didn't get to see a lot of the prints until the award dinner, certainly had a few "###???" moments at our table.