User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  11
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kangaroo Island Holiday

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Ligurian Honey bee farm is also worth a visit, and you have to try their honey icecream too. This strain of bee is supposed to be the only pure breed of honey bee left in the world. In order to preserve it in it's purest form, you are not allowed to take any honey products or bees wax onto the island
    Last edited by aussie girl; 02-06-2012 at 12:00am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Geoff, just got back from a long weekend over on KI visiting my Dad. I visited Cape Willoughby, Windmill beach and Chapman river (Antechamber bay) and confirmed everything I said before. It is a STUNNING area for photography. When we got to Willoughby two very professional looking photographers were just leaving. They'd been there early and caught the morning sun. I took a stack of photos but I didn't have a wide lens and the light was sub-optimal (although not bad). See my post in the CC area (Landscapes) for an example. That shot was taken from the bluff here (-35.8477,138.127091) paste everything inside the brackets into the google maps search field.

On the road from Penneshaw to Cape Willoughby, just after the turnoff to the Chapman river there is an incredible photo opportunity, a mud flat covered with bright red and orange samphire, with pools of water behind it reflecting a backdrop of paperbark trees. WOW! I took some shots from the road but didn't wade in and get good shots. The spot is here (-35.796252,138.064799)

Champman river itself presents superb opportunities for photos. The river estuary reflects the paperbarks over hanging the water and in the morning or probably better, in the evening, the light would be perfect. I was there at midday (with a hungry toddler in tow).

I highly recommend that you have at least a day, but preferably two on this eastern end of the island. Too many tourists charge straight down the road to the Western end where the better known attractions are, and neglect the East. Big mistake.
    Last edited by jupiter618; 12-06-2012 at 12:53pm.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks mate...
    I do have plans to stay at Vivionne Bay for 7 days. Although it's on the south side it seems pretty central. I've put those coordinates into the GPS, so they are definately on the must see list.
    Every image of the Admirals cave that I have looked at, doesn't impress me much, so I want to see if I can do better. Won't have the kids with us, and the misses has a good book, so I'll be pretty much free to go nuts. I'll have 2 cameras, 6 lenses, 6 batteries and a stack of filters to play with. So look out KI, I'm coming.
    Geoff
    Honesty is best policy.
    CC is always welcome
    Nikon D3000 ... Nikon D90... Nikon D700 Various lenses, Home studio equipment and all the associated stuff
    Flickr

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I'm back.....
    Thanks to all for all the advice. Jupiter618. Went to Cape Willoughby, and you were right. Absolutely amazing. We were lucky enough to get a one on one guide through the light house, which even made it better.
    The Chapman River was a bit of a let down though. There had been floods which opened the entrance to the river. So it was as almost as dry as a dead dingo's donger.

Flinders Chase was also well worth the visit. The Remarkable Rocks opened our eyes, and the seals at the Admirals Arch really were fantastic.

The lighthouse at Cape Borda was alright, but Cape Torrens lookout was spectacular. While we were there, two Wedgetail Eagles and one Sea Eagle flew overhead...
    Seal Bay was another spot that captured our attention. Able to get within a few feet of the Fur Seals, really added to the adventure.

We stayed at Vivonne Bay for $100 a night in a house. There was absolutely no noise except the Currawong in the mornings, and the possum at night.

Overall a fantastic place to have a holiday. Although not this time of year. I didn't get any sunset/sunrise shots because of the cold, and the fear of wildlife. (Made evident by amount of the roadkill)

I'd like to thank Ms Monny for planting the seed.

Geoff
    Last edited by geoffsta; 10-07-2012 at 3:47pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad you have a great time over on KI. Maybe another time for a holiday when the weather is kinder?? Hopefully one day I can convince Hubby to pop over for a couple of days.
    Monika
    Equipment: Canon 60D, Nikon FE, Nikkor 50mm 1.8 lens, Fancier FT-662A tripod, 18-55mm kit lens, 55-250mm kit lens, 30mm 1.4 Sigma lens, LR4, PS Elements
    Check out my Flickr photos ... http://www.flickr.com/photos/missmonny/
    ... and then you can like me on www.facebook.com/PhotoByMB or see my shop on http://www.redbubble.com/people/msmonny

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found that 4 days should almost cover it. And with kids I think those would be pretty much full days. So much to see and do. With kids, the wildlife park is a must. Although I was so very saddened to see a Wedgetail caged up, after seeing so many in the wild.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Geoff, I've been busy and away from the forum for a while and didn't realise you'd been and returned. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your photos. Did you take a lot? I gather you had some wild and wooly weather? What a bugger. It's really hit and miss at this time of year. KI is definitely a different place from season to season. I like spring and early summer over there. Will you be posting more shots soon? Did you take any beach-scapes? I didn't realise flooding had broken through the dunes at Chapman river. Pity... did you see the coloured samphire on the chapman to willoughby road?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Geoff is a high country lad and I think he could handle it Show some more
    Canon 7d efs 15-85mm, Sigma 150-500mm. Nicon coolpix 5400

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Jupiter618, No I missed the samphire for some reason...

But the weather was pretty good. We were very luck in that sense. As we were driving it would cloud over. But every time we stopped the sun would come out, and we could have a good look around.
    The nights and mornings were extremely cold though. About 3 or 4 in the afternoon the cold would set in. And the Friday and Saturday were full on frosts.

We had a great time, and I would recommend to all to have a go at going there. What I did like the most is that you get a lot closer to things than you would at most other destinations. I never expected to share a boardwalk with a wild Fur Seal for example, or stand at the edge of the Remarkable Rocks over looking the ocean, without any safety fence.

And yes, the ferry is in my opinion overly expensive. But you only live once, and I doubt I'll ever get an opertunity like that again.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The weather was nice that week here too Geoff, well at least a few days were. Sounds like you had a good weekend away with good opportunities for photography. 14 gig of images to pp
    Last edited by Duane Pipe; 13-07-2012 at 6:46pm.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Duane Pipe View Post
    The weather was nice that week here too Geoff, well at least a few days were. Sounds like you had a good weekend away with good opportunities for photography. 14 gig of images to pp
    97 images processed, with still more to do. Not going to flood the site with them. Just going to pick one or two from different areas to show every couple of days. Just so others can view the area.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12