User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  12

View Poll Results: Left handed or right handed mouse use (choose as many as apply)

Voters
90. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am RIGHT handed

62 68.89%
  • I use a mouse with my RIGHT hand mostly

49 54.44%
  • I am LEFT handed

19 21.11%
  • I use a mouse ambidextrously

12 13.33%
  • I use a mouse with my LEFT hand mostly

7 7.78%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Left or Right handed ?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Left or Right handed ?

With my discussion on left handed gaming mouse becoming available next year and the members who are left handed but use their right hand for a mouse, I wondered if a poll would be interesting.

You can pick more than one to vote on, to give us an overall view
    Last edited by ricktas; 29-05-2012 at 7:21am.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish they would design SLR's for left handers so your nose won't leave huge smudge marks all over the screen!

My first SLR, an Exacta, was designed for left handed people, and it was a joy to use as I could keep my right eye open and get a general view while using my left eye to look through the viewfinder.
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i am a lefty. I doubt i could retrain myself to use a left-handed mouse tho.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    30 voters so far and it seems it is possible that 2 people aren't either right or left handed or don't have hands and another 2 that don't use a mouse?

In all seriousness, I sometimes wonder about this. For those lefties out there, don't you just get used to being a leftie and using stuff as it has always been, or how it was when you learnt it. Like driving a car, the gear stick is always on the left (here anyway!) or using a normal keyboard that always has the number pad on the right. Don't you just get used to it?
    Mic

Photography is the art of telling stories with light.

www.michaelgoulding.com

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by etherial View Post
    30 voters so far and it seems it is possible that 2 people aren't either right or left handed or don't have hands and another 2 that don't use a mouse?
    Must be the 2 Mac users on the forum.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

In all seriousness, I sometimes wonder about this. For those lefties out there, don't you just get used to being a leftie and using stuff as it has always been, or how it was when you learnt it. Like driving a car, the gear stick is always on the left (here anyway!) or using a normal keyboard that always has the number pad on the right. Don't you just get used to it?
    It depends, I can use a mouse with both hands, keyboards do not worry me, but I play cricket, tennis, golf with my left, left foot kicker. There is zero way I can write with my right hand..it looks like the scribble of a two year old.

I prefer to use my left hand for a mouse, but can use my right just as proficiently. I cannot use my wacom tablet pen in my right hand..has to be my left.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a lefty, but have always used my mouse with my right hand, mainly so I can take notes with my left hand.
    I can play cricket and golf either way but usually right handed, but used to kick balls with my left foot, although I can kick right footed, but not as well with my right foot.
    I used to play guitar right handed, but that was because my first teacher pointed out that finding left handed guitars is not always easy so it was easier to learn to play right handed from the beginning.

When I'm in China, I get a lot of funny stares when I'm eating in restaraunts as I use the chopsticks in my left hand, which is a big no-no over there.

I prefer changing gears with my left hand, although I've driven a number of LHD cars and can change gears with my right hand without much thought, although the first time I drove a manual in Europe, I was frightened that I might open the door when changing gears.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But I bet driving with the gear stick in the other hand or using a dSLR that was mirrored left to right would be weird?

Way Down Yonder in the Paw Paw Patch jim's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For those lefties out there, don't you just get used to being a leftie and using stuff as it has always been, or how it was when you learnt it. Like driving a car, the gear stick is always on the left (here anyway!) or using a normal keyboard that always has the number pad on the right. Don't you just get used to it?
    Mostly you do, but some things are more challenging than others. Me, I tend to have trouble with scissors (because they're moulded to fit the fingers of your right hand, and cut painfully into your flesh when used left-handed), screwdrivers (because they require a combination of power and dexterity that I can't quite manage with either hand, and cameras (because I can't help inadvertently changing the focus point with my nose).

But that's all I can think of. Mostly it's a non-issue.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am a lefty as well, but use a mouse with my right hand. I can also write with my right hand if necessary and do many things with my right hand. This is because when I went to school way back in the middle of the last century you got whacked with a cane or ruler for sticking a pencil in your left paw! It was like a game of cat and mouse with the teacher, as soon as his back was turned or not looking I'd quickly switch the pencil back to my left hand
    Lloyd
    Canon 5D2+40D+L+Σ+S100
    Never make the same mistake twice, there are so many new ones, try a different one each day
    Flickr

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What is interesting, to me, is that out of 49 voters so far, 15 are left handed. But it is generally accepted that only about 10% of the world population is left handed. So left handers might be more inclined to be photographers as our percentages here are sitting at about 30% of voters.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    What is interesting, to me, is that out of 49 voters so far, 15 are left handed. But it is generally accepted that only about 10% of the world population is left handed. So left handers might be more inclined to be photographers as our percentages here are sitting at about 30% of voters.
    Or just maybe 10 right handed voters tried to use the mouse with their left hand out of sheer curiosity as to the difficulty of it all and clicked the wrong box by mistake.

Regular Visitor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am a lefty as well, I play all sports right handed except for snooker & darts, write Left handed, use a knife and fork left handed, play guitar left handed etc but use a mouse right handed as mentioned above I can jot notes down with my left at the same time. For me it all had to do with what you had when growing up e.g. RH golf clubs, RH fishing reels and just got used to using them. Being Left handed when I went to school was also frowned upon with a cane across the back of the hand if caught but thankfully that was abolished after the first couple of years
    Regards
    Wayne

CC Always welcome as its a great way of Learning

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, all us lefties coming out of the closet ... So to speak.
    I'm left handed in the majority of things with my arms, but passable with my right if needed. Weird thing is I'm right handed in the lower body, ie ball sports, surfing stance etc.
    People think its weird when playing racquet sports like tennis or squash. I don't play back hand shots I just flick the racquet to the other hand play a regular shot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never thought about that Art, I'm the same, I stand on a surfboard as a natural foot, But I used to be a Goofy foot till I realised it's all righthand waves around here , I also remember the days we got in trouble for writing L/Handed at school, Mind you it was a problen in the Ink Well days , Thank goodness for blotting paper
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm right handed but sometimes use the mouse left handed when I need to take notes, my handwriting is bad enough without trying to write left-handed, I can use either eye at the viewfinder as I had to last week with an injured right eye, I don't have any problems as I always close the other eye anyway.
    Keith.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    I think it's actually closer to 20% of the population that are left handed.

Left handed people are clearer thinkers and more artistic than right handed people, hence more of us are into photography.
    That's my excuse anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I consider myself right handed but left handed at cricket and golf.

William – if I stand on a surfboard with the right foot forward am I a natural foot or a Goofey foot?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennymiata View Post
    I wish they would design SLR's for left handers so your nose won't leave huge smudge marks all over the screen!
    I'm a right-hander and my nose still leaves huge smudge marks on the screen!! Hmmmm......don't like the way this reply is going.....[GASP!].... that must mean I've got a huge schnozz!
    5D MkII Gripped | EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II | EF 24-70mm f/2.8L | EF 50mm f/1.4 USM | EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro | Extender 2x II | 580EX II & 430EX II Speedlites
    Wanted: The list is long.......so very long........(sighs)
    Oldies but still goodies: AE-1+Program | FD 28mm f/2.8 | FD 50mm f/1.4 | FD 70-210 f/4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Being left handed is the final stage of evolution. Some of us have made it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast