User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  12

View Poll Results: Left handed or right handed mouse use (choose as many as apply)

Voters
90. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am RIGHT handed

62 68.89%
  • I use a mouse with my RIGHT hand mostly

49 54.44%
  • I am LEFT handed

19 21.11%
  • I use a mouse ambidextrously

12 13.33%
  • I use a mouse with my LEFT hand mostly

7 7.78%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Left or Right handed ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm like quite a few have implied: things I do single handed I do left handed (mostly) but things I do involving two hands I do right handed, but I'm a bit mixed.
    For example:
    • mouse: right handed
    • squash: left handed
    • writing: left handed
    • (cricket) bowling: left handed
    • (cricket) batting: right handed
    • golf: right handed, needing both hands
    • eating (spoon or fork exclusively): left handed
    • eating (knife and fork): right handed
    • eating (fork/knife/spoon) confused, mixed and difficult more than any other activity, with the split betw left and right
    • surfing: if I did, right foot forward, ie probably left handed

There's a surprising mix here just seeing the variety. It'd be interesting, but not accurare with a relatively small sample size, seeing what genre and skill matches up between the combinations.
    Last edited by ScottM; 01-06-2012 at 12:15am. Reason: wrong first time with eating!

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is interesting, to me, is that out of 49 voters so far, 15 are left handed. But it is generally accepted that only about 10% of the world population is left handed. So left handers might be more inclined to be photographers as our percentages here are sitting at about 30% of voters.

... or that lefties often have a right to complain and will do so, while righties don't care enough to comment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dacar View Post

... or that lefties often have a right to complain and will do so, while righties don't care enough to comment.
    LOL. Lefties are always right. The left rational brain finds reasons, while the right creatively thinks it's right always :P
    Last edited by ScottM; 01-06-2012 at 12:19am.

Ausphotography Site Sponsor/Advertiser OzzieTraveller's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day Rick

My mouse-computing days started back in the late 70s - early 80s, and I soon found that the so-called ergonomic mouse gave me unwanted pains in the right wrist > so I tried left-handed mouse operation and have never looked back

In the 15 or so years I was running adult-ed computing classes, I always put the right-hand > left-mouse option to students. About 1/3 of all students found that, although they were right-handed the mouse in the left hand was comfortable. By default, it means that 2/3 found it uncomfortable ... but that's not the point of the exercise

Cameras-wise, I am constantly surprised that not a single camera on the marketplace is designed for left-handed use. Maybe okay for us, but I have had students with no right-hand who have had to turn the camera upside-down in their left hand to operate it - balancing it with the stump of a right arm ... !

Regards, Phil
    Of all the stuff in a busy photographers kitbag, the ability to see photographically is the most important
    google me at Travelling School of Photography
    images.: flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm right handed for everything except woodchopping. My father was a champion woodchopper, and I had a go at junior level. He set the standing block for right handed, and I failed miserably. He st it for Left hand, and I got a trophy for winning. (I only did it so I could beat my brother. He had been practicing for weeks.)
    Geoff
    Honesty is best policy.
    CC is always welcome
    Nikon D3000 ... Nikon D90... Nikon D700 Various lenses, Home studio equipment and all the associated stuff
    Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am predominately right handed but do a number of things left handed. My mum was a lefty so I guess it was just the way I was shown when I was little. I shoot (rifle) left handed and look through the view finder with my left eye as I am left eye dominant so I get smudge marks on the scrren too
    Jodie

Gear - Canon EOS 7D, EOS 6D, 24-105 F4, 70-200 F2.8L IS, Canon EF 100mm 2.8 Macro, Sigma 10-20mm, nifty fifty, EF2xII, 580EX, 430EXII, EFx2 III and a long wishlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    funny how we only determine if we are 'right or 'left handed by which hand we write with... i only use left to write but everything else i use my right.. i eat, text, point and hold my camera!
    Life is short, Keep snapping!
    CC always welcome
    Nikon D5100 | Nikon D7100 | Bits and pieces. | Some glass here and there.

Way Down Yonder in the Paw Paw Patch jim's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good point Andrew. Try this test:

http://www.anythingleft-handed.co.uk/lh_tests.html

I'm left handed but I came up exactly 50/50.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WOW!! thanks for that link jim.. those 1-10 points actually made me realise.. i do a lot more things with my left..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a theory that handedness is like water going down the plug hole in different directions each side of the Equator.

In the southern hemisphere we should all be left handed but as civilization started in the northern hemisphere, left handed was considered sinister. Go ahead look up your dictionary for sinister!

So there you have it! If you are an Aussie and are right handed you are the exception.

We lefties rule!
    RodW
    Brisbane south side

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I almost always uyse the mouse with my right hand though lately, sometimes while entertaining Charlotte, I've had to use my left :P
    Call me Dylan! www.everlookphotography.com | www.everlookphotography.wordpress.com | www.flickr.com/photos/dmtoh
    Canon EOS R5, : 16-35mm F4 L, 70-200F4 canon L, 24-70mm 2.8IIcanon L, Sirui tripod + K20D ballhead + RRS ballhead. |Sony A7r2 + Laowa 12mm F2.8, Nisi 15mm F4
    Various NiSi systems : Currently using switch filter and predominantly 6 stop ND, 10 stop ND, 3 stop medium GND
    Post : Adobe lightroom classic CC : Photoshop CC. Various actions for processing and web export

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right and right for me. Though I can see the RSI creeping in already so probably a good idea to have a go at the left hand...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad I'm right handed, my other hobby is using fountain pens...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12