User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  5

Thread: Colour Checking/Rendering Intent

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Colour Checking/Rendering Intent

Just checking some different colour settings called rendering intent that can be set in PS , The top one is Relative Colorimetric output and the second is Perceptual

Thoughts anyone ? On my monitor the colorimetric version looks darker by just a tad that Perceptual , Both jpegs were taken from the same tif file that was Perceptual
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm struggling to notice any difference, esspecially with the open/close...... open/close scenario.
    Anyway you can stick'em together in another edit and post as a single side by side?
    CC always welcome and appreciated.
    Tweaks welcome but please add how and why.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    William.
    I didn't try to struggle, and took them both into Photoshop. I pasted the first in a new image, then copied the 2nd and then pasted it over the first.
    I did a Ctrl-Z a few times and even switched the 2nd layer on and off.

The ONE THING that stood out was that the watermark changed position slightly. (And that was the only thing.)

(So that's what it's all about. I thought.)
    Am.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    William,
    The relative is slightly darker across all the colours from black through to almost white. I cant see anywhere in the scene where the white is greater on the perceptual though. I'm not sure that I have seen many of your scenes with a narrow colour range, which is I believe a prime reason to use Relative Colourimetric Intent. There are probably other reasons to use it though
    Kieran

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even on my pathetic monitor, I see a very slight difference in saturation(better in the upper image) in the red and green channel.

Upper RH corner in the upper image has slightly more saturated red sections in the clouds, and in the brown sand in the lower LH corner too.

Also the green water in the depression of water in front of the building has a touch more saturation in the top image.

If I had to put a single value on them in terms of difference(this is going by my experience with my preferred software tho!)

.. I think the upper image has about 5-10% more saturation/contrast. It's probably closer to 5% tho.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You also have to remember that what we see posted on the net, is via our web browsers and THEIR colour management. Some browsers can be colourspace aware, but that does not mean they can read the rendering intent, so we may not be seeing what you are seeing at home, on your colour managed desktop. By inclusion of viewing on the net, we are adding another factor into this equation that makes it more complex once again.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kieran View Post
    William,
    The relative is slightly darker across all the colours from black through to almost white. I cant see anywhere in the scene where the white is greater on the perceptual though. I'm not sure that I have seen many of your scenes with a narrow colour range, which is I believe a prime reason to use Relative Colourimetric Intent. There are probably other reasons to use it though
    Kieran
    Kieran, and Arthur, I'd have to agree that the top one has a better look to it as well

@ Kieran, What do you use ? I think I may change it(PS) back to Colorimetric

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    William, "I use" this forum and all threads to learn. Do you remember Hogan's Heroes. Well I am photography's answer to Sergeant Schultz...."I know nossink..."
    i simply googled the different colour intent to find out what you were talking about.

I was surprised that my little mac notebook screen could see differences when others couldn't. I have been calibrating it once a week since starting on the forum to get used to the adjustments. Perhaps I have got it to a stage where it isn't too bad.

From my little google effort last night it seemed that selecting different colour intent was more an issue of being able to get the same colours out of your printer than what appears on the screen. I may be a useful thing to see whether colour intensity and bright-dark scales when posted on the forum get back a range of results depending on the upload settings and the browser settings of a range of members

By the way, I really like your daily uploads. One per day will get me through any Melbourne winter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The relative has a bit more contrast. The blacks are a bit deeper, the orange on the rocks is a bit more vibrant.

I prefer the top - but that's on an uncalibrated, cheap work monitor, so I can't really judge if it's overly saturated.