Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    I'm not one to normally question someone's purchasing habits
    Sound advice I think.

Just saying in anybody's hand $200 is better than nothing - expecially when the budget is being stretched...
    Last edited by kobeson; 30-05-2012 at 4:06pm.
    Cheers, Daniel
    5D III | 35L | 85Σ| 100L | 50/1.8 | 600EX-RT | Di622 II

facebook

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kobeson View Post

Just saying in anybody's hand $200 is better than nothing - expecially when the budget is being stretched...
    As already said:

The 'gamble' of whether to attempt to extract this $200 saving is entirely yours, and it's a simple matter stating that it may come at a cost of some kind.

I haven't interpreted any of the advice/opinions given so far that could be construed as abrasive, derogatory, nor out of context.

It's actually quite a big deal this notion of buying online from overseas, and if we don't temper this method of purchasing with any sense of calmness or balance, it may end up not being an option for purchasing at all at some point in the future.
    It may end up becoming the only method of purchasing goods!

A not so impossible future scenario could be one where it's just no longer viable to be a storefront retailer any longer as the majority of the population is purchasing products from overseas, and online!

While this may sound like an idealistic world initially, I personally would rather have the option of going into a store to peruse the goods I may be interested in purchasing.

Close the retailers and then the importers disappear.
    Get rid of them too, and you have no local backup or support services. Having this consumer item repaired(even under warranty) may end up costing too much in terms of shipping relative to the value of the item.

.. etc, etc

What would then hold back the online retailers from then bumping up their prices to the point where the (now long gone) local importers and retailers were selling these goods for in the first place?
    I see a situation where it'd be easier for the online retailers to form maffioso syndicates, or cartels, where they all 'agree' to price scheduling as they see fit, without any possibility of reigning in, as they don't answer to any local consumer laws re: price fixing.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't buy this item from any online source(DWI or other) because this sale will break Canon Aus's spine and send them broke, but just as a general thought..

We simply have this ... almost automatic ... preference for purchasing goods from online sources simply because we save ourselves some money. But I don't think anyone has really stopped to contemplate the possible damage it may eventually do the process of purchasing good from online sources(especially from overseas!), where the government will eventually lose out on A LOT of GST revenue if current trends continue through to the long term future.

How many governments have we known that sit idly by and watch revenue streams slow disappear into nothingness?

Some future government action will almost certainly intervene to 'brick wall' this stampede to purchase online and from overseas.

Poor 'ol Harvey Norman has been twiddling governmental ears for a long time now, and they probably have no clout in amongst the upper echelons of a Labour government(hence their inaction)...

but them and their stash of millions ... appropriately donated towards a future Liberal Party's election campaign ... may end up one day changing the way we purchase via offshore e-tailers

I think I've already said(and this is to not sway your decision.... but in this instance the amount of money saved here, I don't think is worth taking any chances(in terms of problem goods and the hoops required to correct the situation).
    if the amount saved was more like in the $500 ... even $400 range for this level of expense, then my choice could possibly change too.

And the funny thing is too.. sometimes it's actually a nice feeling going into a store, and getting a discount just because you have a wad of cash waving in the air(or not!!) to entice the sales person to take it(my reduced offer), rather than leave it!!

Go in with cash!! $1600 of it .... get the $1700 price down to $1600 ... CASH!!! .. see if this helps any. Don't go in with a nice shiny new gold or platinum coloured credit card .. they cost the retailer money.

.. anyhow, just some thoughts (on the state of the economy)
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Fishy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ".. anyhow, just some thoughts A not so impossible future scenario could be one where it's just no longer viable to be a storefront retailer any longer as the majority of the population is purchasing products from overseas and online!"

Back in '65 when I was a young apprentice chef a lot of the goods were ordered by 'phone, sight unseen including fresh meat,fish,vegetables and equipment. Today this is already being done by the general public via "farmers fresh market" and other stores. Coles/woollies do orders online and deliver to homes with the goods being unseen at time of purchase. My point being it is a matter of WHEN not IF retailers close up their storefront shop. When is the last time you entered a bank? You can buy a house without physically going to look at it.(done that) Bought the 7D site unseen. It maynot be in my lifetime for a complete take-up but it will happen. And to finish, delivery from HK etc has been WAY quicker than delivery from Australian sites. So it will boil down to price and one hand and service delivery on the other from any retailer here or O/S. JMHO
    Cheers Brian.

Canon 7D Kit lenses EFS 18-55 IS EFS 55-250 IS EF28-90 Canon EF 2xll Extender Sigma DG150-500 OS Speedlight 420EX. 580EX