Thread: Local purchase vs grey import - Canon 16-35mm

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by William W View Post

When previously I answered, I understood that you were harnessing opinions and that is why you started the thread.
    I also understood that you were unsure of whether the GST would be payable.
    And I also know that DWI and some customers previously have got around GST: but that fact doesn’t mean that GST is not payable on a $1499.00 imported item.

So for clarity, my opinion is still – “it is a no brainer”.
    You might prefer a more detailed Rationale:
    1. Past performance re GST / invoicing is not a guarantee of future performance.
    2. Lenses fail or need a claim of some sort: – I’ve had 1 canon lens in 15 (and one Canon camera body in six) . . . of course that’s no indication of any expected trend; the next toss doesn’t have those odds, anyway.
    3. Maximum “possible” saving is $200 . . . minimum known saving is $50.
    4. Point three to me is like betting 50 to win 150, that’s only 3 to 1 and still no warrantee. 3 to 1 odds to my way of thinking, is not a“good bet” in this scenario.
    5. Point three could be interpreted that I will be paying either $200 or $50 for the warrantee, and those odds are 2 to 1.
    6. I get a chance to spend in Australia.

On the balance of points 1 to 6, I would purchase that lens, here.
    As previously mentioned, opinions will vary: and yes I understood that it was your wanting to read those varied opinions, why you started the thread.
    Post #2 gave abbreviated rationale of the opinion and not intended to start a "Wages in Australia" discussion: however buying in AUS is part of my thinking - yes.

WW

Have you bought extensively from DWI before, with goods over $999AUD? Im just curious to know.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have bought two items from DWI.

BUT - My experience with the Company or my lack of experience with the Company, wouldn't have changed my answer and had absolutely no bearing on what I wrote.

Neither does any others' experiences with the company have any bearing on my answer, as I indicated.

The reasons are:

Neither I, (nor any other customer of the Company) have absolute control in the situation and my answer was predicated on variables which would be out of my control.
    Hence the question the OP posed is an evaluation of the "odds" -as I colloquially wrote.
    And IMO the odds in this case are: not favourable, which is also what I wrote.

As this discussion seems now to require even more detailed notation of my thinking and my rationale:
    The one point I did not previously make, is that it is quite specific that no matter what experiences I or anyone has already had with the Company; the Company does have control of the situation pursuant to the Company’s Position in regard to Australian GST and or other duties and taxes, and this position is clearly outlined in the Company’s Policy of TERMS and CONDITIONS.

“14. Pricing and availability

The price for the goods shall, unless otherwise agreed, be the price set out on the dispatch confirmation. The price for the goods quoted on the website shall be exclusive of all costs of carriage and insurance and applicable import Tax/GST and duty which the buyer shall pay in addition for further information regarding this please see the Australian Customs Web Site. Shipping and insurance costs are calculated at checkout.”

REF: DWI Website FAQ Para14(extract), op cit

WW

Last edited by William W; 29-05-2012 at 9:47am. Reason: typo