User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Pretty places to photograph?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pretty places to photograph?

Does anyone know of any pretty places around the Geelong/surf coast area that would be good for photographing kids and families?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you taking clients to a location to photograph or do you want to do 'street photography' of random kids and families?
    I'm not from Geelong but I know that Eastern beach would be a great place for street tog in the summer. Not so great this time of year. If you're taking client portraits anywhere along the eastern beach/steampacket gardens or botanic gardens. You might need to check for rules for photography in the botanic gardens though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess it really depends on the type of shots you are after and what your definition of pretty is... do you prefer the beach, bush, formal gardens etc. It would make it easier to give suggestions if people know what you are doing.
    Jodie

Gear - Canon EOS 7D, EOS 6D, 24-105 F4, 70-200 F2.8L IS, Canon EF 100mm 2.8 Macro, Sigma 10-20mm, nifty fifty, EF2xII, 580EX, 430EXII, EFx2 III and a long wishlist

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll be taking clients there for shoots.

Any kind of interesting spot would be good, I don't mind beach, bush OR gardens!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Geelong has a fair bit to offer, photographically speaking (or I'd still live there )
    You could try:
    Botanic gardens
    Eastern Beach
    Johnstone Park
    Cunningham Pier etc
    Further out - Dog rocks, any of the beaches, Steiglitz historic park etc

The list if parks are fairly extensive and quite a few have rotundas in them.

Also, there are many old heritage buildings, wineries and blue stone bridges like Fyansford/Batesford but you'd need to organise permission from the appropriate authorities first. Some of the National Heritage buildings such as Barwon Grange are availble to hire for weddings and functions but are also available for photography only - there is still an hourly fee attached (around $100 p/hr).

I think in reality you are only limited by imagination (and the horrid southern weather )
    Last edited by FallingHorse; 31-05-2012 at 4:20pm.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks I'm in Ocean Grove, so not that far away but really don't know Geelong at all!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NatalieM View Post
    Thanks I'm in Ocean Grove, so not that far away but really don't know Geelong at all!
    In that case ... you don't even have to leave home for pretty places I used to live in Barwon Heads many years ago

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jodie's summed up some great options, there's heaps of nice spots down Eastern beach way, thought it would be good to pick a time when there are less people about as it's a popular spot. The botanic gardens is really nice, though I'm not sure about rules on photography - I know you need a permit for wedding photography there. If you're in Ocean Grove, how about just along the beach?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also ... if you are familiar with Red Bubble site on the web, they have a member group named "Geelong Throng", you could try asking in their forums or surfing through their pages of images - bound to be some inspiration there too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had an interesting photo session just by parking at Queenscliff early in the morning, taking a few photos there then catching the ferry across to Sorrento, had a good lunch at Sorrento more photos then back to Queenscliff via the ferry where I managed to take the photos that I missed on the way over, all in all a very good day
    Mike