User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Tele lens to get....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tele lens to get....

I have the 550d with kit 18-55 but am looking for a tele my main shooting is my girls at funparks at the beach and on our camping trips so was thinking of the 70-200 f/4L.. But was wondering is this overkill for only ever printing 8x10 or 10x12 or will the 55-250 kit lens be worth the buy as ive seen it on DDP for $178 compared to the 70-200f/4L in at $640..

Should i also have a preference in where i get my pics printed i dont mind paying a little more if the media they use is going to last and keep colours over the years as i dont want my girls looking at pics we had printed years ago to be looking at a faded print like all my childhood pics are..

Cheers.. Clawsie..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Clawsie, I reckon the humble 55-250 is a highly underrated lens. I had a good copy back in my crop body days and it produced some terrific images. It also gives a high quality bokeh that is far beyond its cost. The 70-200 is also a great lens and it has a constant F4 aperture as well. For funparks etc I would however suggect the IS version would be better, but it is also a lot more expensive. As you are just starting out I would recommend the 55-250 would serve you better until your experience outstrips it.

Here is a shot taken with it and a 450D

Here is another one, same 450D

As you can see, for the price there is nothing at all to complain about! It is cheap, light and gives good quality, what more can you ask? Happy decisions.
    Lloyd
    Canon 5D2+40D+L+Σ+S100
    Never make the same mistake twice, there are so many new ones, try a different one each day
    Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably lean towards the 55-250 for the IS, and it is a decent lens also. It is easy to upgrade from a $170 lens (sell on ebay for $150) and buy a different lens if you feel limited.
    1DIII, 5DII, 15mm fish, 24mm ts-e, 35L,135L,200L,400L,mpe-65mm
    Film: eos 300, pentax 6x7

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers guys am going for the 55-250 just hoping the focus is quick enough with girls on waterslides and rides.Nice shots there some really good colours and the Bokeh is good for me.
    Cheers ..Clawsie..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AF is not fantastic, but then again the 550D does not have a great AF system as well. I used mine for quite a while on my 500D and 7D before i upgraded. It is an awesome piece of glass for the price and never regretted the purchase.

If you don't seem to be getting focus, try setting your focus (AF-off) to an area they will be going past and as they zoom past, click! Also try not to zoom in too much on a moving suject as when it starts hunting, it's a real pain. I'm sure you'll get loads of wonderful shots! Enjoy your new purchase. Keep on shooting!

As for the 70-200L, as mentioned, buy the one with IS if you're going to hand hold the shots and track running/moving kids.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    O the dilema so was settling on the 55-250,was telling mate of mine was thinking of the L lens at $640 but through you guys recommend getting the 55-250 for the IS so he tells me why not look at the Tamron 18-270 its in my price range eliminates lens swaps and has IS all in the one package.... Has anyone had any use of this lens and would they recommend getting it.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you don't mind lens distortion, chromatic abberations and so-so colour and contrast, then the Tamron is a good buy.
    It's OK for snapshots, but you won't get great images, especially if you pixel peep.

If you want a lens with crisp details, great colour and contrast, go the Canon, especially the 70-200L.

Generally speaking, the wider the zoom range of a lens, the poorer its performance as they have to make so many compromises with the design.
    Going from wide angle to long telephoto in one lens is always fraught with compromises, unless you are prepared to spend BIG money, like on the Canon 28-300L lens which will cost you around $2500 grey and is BIG and HEAVY, and still has image compromises.
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennymiata View Post
    If you don't mind lens distortion, chromatic abberations and so-so colour and contrast, then the Tamron is a good buy.
    It's OK for snapshots, but you won't get great images, especially if you pixel peep.

If you want a lens with crisp details, great colour and contrast, go the Canon, especially the 70-200L.

Generally speaking, the wider the zoom range of a lens, the poorer its performance as they have to make so many compromises with the design.
    Going from wide angle to long telephoto in one lens is always fraught with compromises, unless you are prepared to spend BIG money, like on the Canon 28-300L lens which will cost you around $2500 grey and is BIG and HEAVY, and still has image compromises.
    Cheers looks like the 55-250 it is the 70-200L with IS wouldnrt be approved by the banker.....................

Fishy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The "banker" will find out soon enough when the credit card bill comes.?
    Cheers Brian.

Canon 7D Kit lenses EFS 18-55 IS EFS 55-250 IS EF28-90 Canon EF 2xll Extender Sigma DG150-500 OS Speedlight 420EX. 580EX