Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else battling the bulge?

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone else battling the bulge?

As some of those who have been on meet ups with me will know, I need to lose some weight. Due to old Achilles ankle injuries and subsequent knee injuries, exercise has been hard. And in the last couple of years the fact that carrying anything heavy has been nearly impossible for me, resulting in severe back pain for up to 3 days afterwards.

Back in August my partner Warwick went to the doc and his BP was a bit high and doctor recommended lose some weight and get more exercise. Warwick grew up by the beach so swimming is as natural as breathing to him. After he had been going for a few weeks he suggested I come along. I was initially reluctant but I did go down just for a look and found the pool had kickboards you could use.

So! I am now up to 30 laps (1500m in 75-90 minutes) 3 days a week a mix of kickboard and breast stroke and back stroke. On the other 3 days a week I go I do 20 laps, 300m of walking in the water, and 15 mins of aerobic exercises in the water (jumps, running on the spot etc) – about 60-75 mins. And I feel great. I love walking but my weight gain (I was up to 120kgs on 1August 2011) and troublesome ankles meant just 15 mins of waking left me in so much pain I would hardly move for 3 days. I do all this exercise at the pool and have no pain afterwards. And this type of exercise – I do NOT ‘go for the burn’! – fits in with the Primal lifestyle, which I am aiming to get back to. My Primal Blog

I have even bought my own pair of flippers – the type that makes your muscles work harder, not the go faster ones – my own kickbooard, googgles and swim shirt. Who’d have thunk it?

I went back and revisited my food/weight loss diary from 2 years ago. In December 2010 (the last recorded measurements) I had the following figures:
    date – weight in kgs – bust – waist – hips – upper arm – thigh – base of neck – calf (measurements in cms)
    05/12/2010 – 121 kgs – 145 – 130 – 145 – 43 – 71.5 – 47 – 39
    01/01/2012 – 112 kgs – 131 – 119 – 136 – 39 – 68.5 – 43 – 39.5
    So I have lost 9 kgs and 44.5cm!

UPDATE: Weigh in today at the doctors before the dentist – down another 2kgs!

So I have now lost 10kgs or 8.33% of my body weight. And I do feel fantastic – the swimming is really strengthening my muscles and to be able to do normal things like walk upstairs, go shopping, carry bags etc without knowing I am in for long bouts of back pain is like a miracle. I wish I’d discovered swimming years ago! And I cam now do a full 50m lap of breast stroke and back stroke and 30m of freestyle – all with correct breathing. I’m trying to do a bit more freestyle each week.

So to any of you trying to lose weight I really recommend the pool.

I’m really pleased with the loss of 4cm from the upper arms – I am working hard on them to try and muscle the flabby old things! I don’t mind the calf measurement increasing, I’m doing so much kicking at the pool I reckon they’d have to! And I have dropped a dress size since the August restart (120kgs), plus I can now walk upstairs like a normal person instead of clutching the hand rail for grim death and gasping my way up! And my BP this morning was 124/80 pulse 68 – I’m very happy with those numbers.

But best of all, I can carry the camera bag up and down the steps at home with no effort at all! It has wheels so once I have it at ground level there are problems, but I used to have to wait until Warwick got home to get it up the stairs to the computer/recharge area.

So, I am feeling better and will keep updating this as the more people who know what I am trying to do the more honest it will keep me!

My aim is to lose 20kgs this year, I think that is an achievable goal.
    Odille

“Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky”

My Blog | Canon 1DsMkII | 60D | Tokina 20-35mm f/2.8 AF AT-X PRO | EF50mm f/1.8| Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM | Fujifilm X-T1 & X-M1 | Fujinon XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XC 50-230mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XF 18-55mm F2.8-4R LM OIS | tripods, flashes, filters etc ||

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    swimming is great for a full body work out and toning!

I put on 2kg alone over the Xmas and NY period. Really need to hit the gym harder than ever to tone up as I plan to get fat in HK and Europe next weekend LOL, Michelin Star restaurants are evil!

I really should hit the pool and beach more though instead of the usual gym, soccer training, bike riding and runs with the dogs. Swimming would give me a more comprehensive work out.

but good on ya Odille, keep up the motivation

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    while i dont need it myself my wife and i did the whole swimming thing for a few months and the weight just fell off her. that was just 1 hour for 3-4 times a week.

that said my pants are trying to tell me something after xmas....

keep up the good work! its obvioulsy doing wonders for you!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well done Odille, that is really commendable. Health is so important, you don't realise it until you or someone you love is affected. You have set a realistic goal and from your post, I think you can do it.
    Shelley
    (constructive criticism welcome)

www.shelleypearsonphotography.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great work Odille. It must feel great to be doing something proactive, and it really will help you when trying to get those shots you want.

Di
    D300s and D60. Nikkor 35mm 1.8 & 50mm 1.8, 18-55mm & 55-200mm; Sigma 10-20 F4-5.6; Tamron 90mm, Elements 8
    ...........................................................................................C&C is always welcome......................................................................

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Odille, as you have already worked out, teh pool is a great way to get fit and stay fit. It is one of teh most time effective wys to get a good overall workout - one thing to note though, its not that good for getting rid of midriff fat, you really need another excerise that works more on your core muscles to finish the job. Fitness is all about consistency and it looks like you have achieved that, be patient and be religious about teh pool sessions!
    Some Nikon stuff... gerrys photo journey
    https://plus.google.com/+GerardBlacklock
    No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well done.

I have been dieting before christmas, together with some exercise, and I find it very hard. however, the results are well worth it. Back to the hard graft again now!

You must be very pleased. Obviously the pool work gives you the exercise without the extra strain on the body.
    Regards, Rob

D600, AF-S 35mm f1.8G DX, AF-S 50mm f1.8G, AF-S 24-85mm f3.5-4.5G ED VR, AF-S 70-300mm F4.5-5.6G VR, Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM
    Photos: geeoverbar.smugmug.com Software: CS6, Lightroom 4

Ausphotography Addict
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone. Once I get under 100kgs I can start to walk again, maybe 3 mornings a week, see how I go. I have signed up for a month of Pilates under one of those offers online, I have until March to take it up and the classes are twice a week - so I'll get 8 or 9 lessons for my $19.00. I've always wanted to learn how to do Pilates properly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good for you, Odille. It's hard work, but so worth it. I've just got stuck back into running on a regular basis now that my motivation to do stuff is coming back, and I'm really looking forward to not being chained to a desk all day after the 20th. It's going to be a great year!
    Michaela

Comments and critique always welcome and appreciated.

My photos on Flickr
    Canon 5D Mk III | 7D | Assorted Canon Lenses

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great effort.
    I heard on the ABC this morning about a bloke who over about 2 years has gone from 120 to 78 I think it was, partly due to putting it out on facebook and getting a lot of support from people. He aims to be 74 kg by April.
    Did it with diet and exercise.
    http://blogs.abc.net.au/queensland/2...=612_breakfast
    The age of entitlement isn't over, it's just over there where you can't get to it.
    When several possibilities exist, the simplest solution is the best.
    "There are no rules" Bruce Barnbaum, The art of Photography
    Graham

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Odille I admire what you are doing as I know how hard it is, I also admire that you can write about it I feel that helps too.
    Keep up the good work and keep us posted on how you are going..

I have been doing it for 10 weeks now, eating healthy and excising its a 30 minute walk for me 40-42 times around the outside of the house.
    Thats just under 3.5 Kms and it burns my lunch off in the cooler late afternoon. I have lost 9.1 kgs in that time and are hoping to loose more.

I shoot with Olympus Cameras.. Sometimes Canon and My iPhone SE 2020

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    good you are getting into the swimming Odille....and feeling much better for it. I have to lose some fat....er should I say this? ...hmmm....weight then . Swimming I have done years ago and I sure felt better from it. You really have to be dedicated and stick to whatever regime you adopt. We are moving in a couple of weeks and I will get back on my pushy a lot more....and I can walk to the pub too ...so that walking will help too.. Must combat the bulge as well and as you get older the harder it is. So again...good on you.
    Graeme
    "May the good Lord look down and smile upon your face"......Norman Gunston___________________________________________________
    Nikon: D7000, D80, 12-24 f4, 17-55 f2.8, 18-135, 70-300VR, 35f2, SB 400, SB 600, TC-201 2x converter. Tamron: 90 macro 2.8 Kenko ext. tubes. Photoshop CS2.

Ausphotography Addict
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mary Anne View Post
    Odille I admire what you are doing as I know how hard it is, I also admire that you can write about it I feel that helps too.
    Keep up the good work and keep us posted on how you are going..

I have been doing it for 10 weeks now, eating healthy and excising its a 30 minute walk for me 40-42 times around the outside of the house.
    Thats just under 3.5 Kms and it burns my lunch off in the cooler late afternoon. I have lost 9.1 kgs in that time and are hoping to loose more.
    Good on you Mary Anne, that is a great weight loss in the time.

Ausphotography Addict
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by old dog View Post
    good you are getting into the swimming Odille....and feeling much better for it. I have to lose some fat....er should I say this? ...hmmm....weight then . Swimming I have done years ago and I sure felt better from it. You really have to be dedicated and stick to whatever regime you adopt. We are moving in a couple of weeks and I will get back on my pushy a lot more....and I can walk to the pub too ...so that walking will help too.. Must combat the bulge as well and as you get older the harder it is. So again...good on you.
    I felt it was getting to be 'Now or never' Graeme, I will be 59 in May and then looms the big 60. I do want to get much fitter by then and to do that I have to get some of this blubber off!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have gone to the pack immediately after hitting 60....would you believe 50.....well how about 40...... It`s getting tougher every year. The mind is young but the ol body hurts a bit...but mostly only when I move. I think I better get back to swimming too as the pool is only 5 mins away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great work......swimming is my favourite exercise. Keep at it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well done Odille , Keep it up , So now I'm looking for the sexy lady in the Yellow Van , I have the Mike Wendon pools just around the corner from me , But so is the Alley , Keep up the good work - Bill
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good on you!
    It's hard to get started, but once you get into the swing of things,it comes more easily.

I lost over 20kg is just a few months about 18 months ago, and the only change I made was to stop eating sugar, white bread and cakes/biscuits.
    It sounds hard, but I just said that to myself that I can no longer eat this rubbish, and it worked for me, but I know it can be very hard to do so.
    I still don't eat sweets, I drink my tea black, although I do allow myself 1 spoon of sugar in my coffee (I tried it sugarless for 6 months and couldn't stand it), and to be frank with you, I don't even miss it anymore and if I do eat something very sweet (very rarely if I have to) it tastes horrible to me now.
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Ausphotography Addict
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    Well done Odille , Keep it up , So now I'm looking for the sexy lady in the Yellow Van , I have the Mike Wendon pools just around the corner from me , But so is the Alley , Keep up the good work - Bill
    Don't hold your breath just yet, Bill, the sexy lady will be incognito for a while yet!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great work I am starting my plan next week after i see my GP. I have quite alot to lose also. I will get one of the kids to take a few pics so I will be able to see my progress further down the track. Keep it up Odille you will loose your 20kgs before you know it.
    Last edited by mrsgrumblebum; 07-01-2012 at 2:05pm. Reason: spelling errors
    Cheers Debra
    Canon 50D l G11 l Sigma 17-70 l Sigma 70-200 l Sigma 10-20 l Canon 50mm 1.8 ll l
    Canon 60mm macro l Canon 100mm Macro lS l Canon 17- 85 l Canon 24-105mm l Speedlight 580 EX ll + other bits n pieces
    ||Tamron 18-270mm

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast