User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  3

Thread: workflow

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

workflow

So, today we went out for a drive. I came home and went straight to the computer to upload the pics. I tweaked the pics in LR and then after a very small break (dinner), I looked at them again, final tweak and sent them off to the wide world web.

My question is this.....what is your workflow. Do you do all your tweaks within 12 hrs and are happy with that OR do you leave the images for a while, come back with fresh eyes, do a tweak or two, leave for a while etc etc until you feel satisfied that your fresh eyes have seen all they need to see????

I ask this because I feel I am too quick to give my pics the nod. I think I need to S. L. O. W. down the procedure and adjust the images over a period of weeks, not minutes. I know I have read about many great photographers who do NOT give their pics the final nod in less then a week or two or months. They say your fresh eyes will see if the pic is indeed worthy and you have less emotion attached to them (you still are fresh with memory how the place where you took the pic felt - still in awe, excited, moved from your experience while pressing the shutter button).

Love to hear your thoughts.
    Monika
    Equipment: Canon 60D, Nikon FE, Nikkor 50mm 1.8 lens, Fancier FT-662A tripod, 18-55mm kit lens, 55-250mm kit lens, 30mm 1.4 Sigma lens, LR4, PS Elements
    Check out my Flickr photos ... http://www.flickr.com/photos/missmonny/
    ... and then you can like me on www.facebook.com/PhotoByMB or see my shop on http://www.redbubble.com/people/msmonny

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent question Monika. I rush a little with bird shots, but lately have been taking a while to show them, sometimes I redo.

With my people shots, I download immediately, backup, look at them to make sure they are fine - usually process a couple, send to the client to check out. Then in a week will process and often I have changed my way of doing them. I find my first edits are not always right.
    Shelley
    (constructive criticism welcome)

www.shelleypearsonphotography.com

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So Monika, have you gone back to some of your photos that are months old and had another look?

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mark, I have....some from last year even, and I see them differently. I think not having that 'fresh emotion' attached to them really helps to see the image like everyone else would (well, to a degree...there is always an emotion attached to all your own images).

What do you do, Mark?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I often go and have a look through my archives. Looking back at past work is a good idea. One reason is, as you learn, you discover new processing techniques etc and your processing skills advance. When you look back over past photos, it is amazing how often you come across one, that is good and you appreciated it at the time, but with your processing skills, you think 'I know what to do with this'.

As for what I do when I get home, sometimes I upload and edit straight away, other times it can be days before I get to them.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography