User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2

Thread: Is it still worth upgrading to a 5D2 now that the 5D3 is out?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it still worth upgrading to a 5D2 now that the 5D3 is out?

I need some advice on my current ciurcumstance.

I bought a 550D + 18-55 + 55-250 + 50f1.8 in mid 2010, and have since clocked up 26,000 clicks. I also added a Canon 10-22 (14 months ago), Sigma 30 f1.4 (10 months ago) and a Canon 100L f2.8 macro (4 months ago). I am getting close to upgrade time and want to move to full-frame.

I had been keeping an eye on the 5D3's rumour progression, and love the look of it - but such a hefty price tag, and with my wife on maternity leave for our first child, it is impossible for me to even think about buying a 5D3 anytime soon. This is my main caveat, the lack of petty cash to splash.

So with the recent price drop of the 5D2, it has me thinking. Would buying a brand new camera which has 3 year old technology be a silly move now? Or shouid I be more patient and wait 12 months to see if the 5D3 drops a bit, and we have more money to spend? I kinda think buying old technology is sometimes not a good move, but does the 5D2 challenge that mentality?

With my current gear lineup, I would trade up the Sigma 30 for a 50 and keep the macro lens - this would leave me with only 2 lenses, and neither of them are very wide or very long, so I would be missing a lens or 2. So this would also impact either waiting for a 5D3 or buying 5D2 sooner.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In an ideal world, I would keep my 550D + 10-22 + 100L macro, and sell the rest, but then I began to wonder what kind of cash would I likely get if I was to sell my current gear?

- 550D has 26k clicks (would obviously bundle with the 3 cheap lenses below)
    - 18-55 hardly used
    - 55-250 used a bit more, but still great condition
    - 50 f1.8

- 10-22 is 14 months old
    - Sigma 30 is 10 months old

All lenses have no scratches, as they have had UV filters on since day dot on all of them. Never dropped or anything, I treat all them well.

I just wonder if I were to get rid of it all, how I would go buying a 5D2 + 16-35ii + 70-200f4 IS? Would selling off my 550D be worth it?

Decisions, decisions...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Decisions decisions decisions! Don't you just love camera gear? Seriously, I thought about hanging off till the 5D3 came out to upgrade from my 50D. At the time there was still no firm date for the 5D3, so I decided what the heck, I could wait for ages for the new one to be released so bit the bullet and brought the 5D2.

That was roughly 6 or 7 months ago, so I would not have had long to wait for the mk3. Do I regret it? Certainly not. I got the Mk2 for a great price and I sold all my EF-S gear. I invested in L glass, plus a Sigma 50 and 85 prime. The 5D2 is still a really good camera that delivers great images. The only thing that may make me consider an upgrade in the future to the Mk3 is the low light capability. Even the better focus arrangement on the new one does not tempt me, because I have no focus issues with the Mk2.

Maybe consider buying the Mk2 kit, which includes the 24-105L glass. It is a very verstile lens that delivers great images on the 5D2. I personally feel it is a bit underrated. It is certainly not my favourite lens in my line up, but it is my most used lens by a country mile. Good luck with your decision whichever way you go.
    Lloyd
    Canon 5D2+40D+L+Σ+S100
    Never make the same mistake twice, there are so many new ones, try a different one each day
    Flickr

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply!

How did you find the increase in low light capabilities from your 50D to the 5D2?

Would I notice a significant jump still from the 550D to the 5D2? I am pretty happy with the 550D up to 800 without any noticeable noise, and 1600 if I want some nice grain in there - I wonder what the equivalent of ISO 800 on my 550D would be on the 5D2? And ISO 1600 on my 550D, would that equate to 6400 maybe?!? How many stops improvement from 550D - 5D2 I guess I am asking?

Regarding the 24-105, I am more interested in an ultrawide zoom and a tele zoom rather than a wide-mid zoom - the 24-105 and 24-70 don't interest me as much as a 16-35 + 50 + 70-200, and possibly a 35 prime later on

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I second the 25-105 kit with the 5D2. The extra 1 stop control or there abouts extra of ISO is pretty useful and the IQ of a FF vs a CROP is just different.

800ISO on the 550D = 800 on the 5D2.
    After the 800ISO mark things will start to change
    1600 on the 550D = somewhere below 3200 on the 5D2
    3200 on the 550D = 6400 or less on the 5D2
    6400 on the 550D = 12800 on the 5D2 or something like that.

If i recall there is samples on the digital picture where you can compare them. Take a look at the webbie.

Interesting that you mention that combo. 16-35L, 50L, 70-200 f2.8 II . That's my normal move around kit that i bring for holidays and events, but now that my shooting style has changed a little, it's 16-35L + 50L most of the time. 70-200 only comes out if i foresee myself using it for sure. It's too darn heavy to be walking around with the whole day.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would buying a brand new camera which has 3 year old technology be a silly move now?
    Absolutely not. Well, not if the camera you are buying is a 5D II.

Or shouid I be more patient and wait 12 months to see if the 5D3 drops a bit, and we have more money to spend?
    I don't see any compelling reason to wait for the 5D III unless you need the main thing the Mark III has which the Mark II does not - a proper modern focus system. The focus system in the 5D II is about as good as the system in your 550D - in fact, it's almost identical. If that does what you want, the 5D II is a brilliant camera. For landscapes and other static subjects, it's a wonderful step up from where you are. If you want to do a lot of sport, though, the 5D III would be better, and if you need reach and good AF for birds and wildlife, then look at either a 1D IV or a 7D instead.

Given your lenses, you'll have a heap to spend as there is only one amongst them (the 50/1.8) which will work on FX. You will need to replace nearly everything!

My first-choice suggestion is to go for that fantastic Canon combo, the 5D Mark II with the 24-105/4L IS lens. That's equivalent to a 15-65/4 IS on your 550D, and the picture quality will blow your socks off. The difference in viewfinder quality and build quality is amazing too. This is just a really, really nice combination to use and in fact I cannot imagine a better combination for walkaround this side of a 1D X. Cost is quite reasonable as these things go.

Meanwhile, you keep the 550D and get some more mileage out of your excellent 30/1.4 and 10-22 lenses. When the budget improves a bit in the future sometime, you can look at more full-frame lenses to complete your set.
    Tony

It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tannin View Post
    My first-choice suggestion is to go for that fantastic Canon combo, the 5D Mark II with the 24-105/4L IS lens.
    ..... then I read the two posts immediately above, both recommending the same thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Judging from the lenses you own an improved auto focus system does not seem essential. Land scape is the obvious one, and differs between people but for macro work I find my self on manual focus a good 90% of the time anyway.

Selling you 10-22 should be able to provide funds for a used 17-40 which would be about 1mm narrower than your current wide angle lens.

So my solution from your point of view would be Sell the 550D with the kit lenses, keep the 50, despite it being worth peanuts and looking/feeling like a toy I'd imagine it'd still go pretty well with your newly bought full frame 5D MKII, the focal length would be comparable to that of the 30mm on your 550D and the depth of field would also be pretty similar despite it being a bit slower than the sigma because of the larger sensor on the 5D.

Unsure on what to do with sigma, I guess depends on what kind of style you shoot in and whether you'd find yourself needing the wider prime.
    Canon 60D - 24-105 F4 L - Sigma 10-20 - Kit lenses - 50mm F:1.8 - Tamron 90mm F:2.8 Macro - 430 exII _ Extension Tube Set

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I cant offer advice about the canon cameras mentioned, as I use Nikon..but I can offer some insight into upgradites as I had it too.

I wanted a D800..and in some respects I still do...who doesn't want the latest and greatest....but I also want new lenses and unless I get 6 numbers on lotto I cant have both..so I revisited the need for a upgrade.. I wanted better High Iso that's it really..so a used D700 winged its's way to my door.
    my D700 is easy two stops better than my D300s..and not only that its better IQ even in the lower ISO..not by much but it is there non the less, plus I prefer the larger view finder ...so Im well happy with a 3 year old camera

I think if you have all the lenses you ever want, and all the other bits and bobs..getting the latest body is a no brainier...but when you have to spread the money further because your still building your Kit..then a good used body is the way to go..I say go for a used 5d2 in good condition and save the left over money for lenses
    Last edited by Tommo1965; 17-05-2012 at 10:08pm.
    Cheers and my name is Steve

OMD Em1...Now with two lenses !

http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_tompsett/
    http://tommo.smugmug.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From a Pentax point of view I believe that the 5D II will remain a sort after camera for some time to come. It I believe is one of the benchmarks for a FF sensor. If the quality of the images are good enough for professionals then it must be good enough for amateurs (not judging either one). You would find that they would still be in kits even if it is just a back up body.
    These of course are just my opinions.
    Mat.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] K-x, Sigma 18 - 125, Vivitar 100 - 300, RICOH KR10Super & KR10M (film), Filters, Tubes
    Flickr, RedBubble, Facebook

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In answer to your question to me Kobeson, I cannot tell you how much better the low light capability will be between the 550D and the 5D2 as I have never owned a 550D. I have however owned a 450D and a 50D and the 5D2 blows the 450D right out of the water and is still a lot better than the 50D. I can shoot on ISO800 with the 5D2 with no noise at all. It starts to get noisy from 1600 upwards, but not enough that you cannot fix it. I don't shoot at really hight ISO's though, if I need higher I revert to flash instead. Just be aware the 5D2 does not have a pop up flash either, so you will need to buy a good speedlite.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 5DMKII is ALWAYS going to be a fantastic camera. Just because it's not the latest new kid on the block doesn't alter that fact.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies, some really good advice from all of you

I am strongly considering it, but will let my funds increase a little before taking the plunge.
    Cheers, Daniel
    5D III | 35L | 85Σ| 100L | 50/1.8 | 600EX-RT | Di622 II

facebook

Ausphotography Regular Brian500au's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are some great buys of the 5DMII on the used market at the moment - sub $1500. Might be worth considering.
    www.kjbphotography.com.au

1DxII, EOS R, 200-400 f4L Ext, 100-400 f4.5-5.6L II, 70-200 F4IS, 24-70 F2.8 II, 16-35 F4IS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are so cheap at the moment, I am seriously considering buying another as a spare body..........

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, it is very tempting - I really should stop reading up on the mk iii and watching review videos lol it just looks so damn good!!

70D and 7D mk ii rumours heating up also now...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have both, I didn't read the whole post so I'm not sure what you shoot. What I like is the way you can have auto ISO and the MkIII does it better but the MkII is a great camera. I'm not sure what else has auto ISO in the Canon range. This is good for low light photography and the mkIII has better high ISO processing.

Also a criticism of the mkII (not my criticism) is the AF is the same as the original Canon 5D about ten years old whereas the MkIII has better AF. So if AF is not important then go for the MkII. The mkIII also has focusing modes for moving targets (like children?)

Whatever your decision, it will go out the window once the child arrives unless you can convince her that you want to compile a photo diary of the child's growth over the years.
    Last edited by darylcheshire; 22-05-2012 at 11:36pm.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by darylcheshire View Post
    What I like is the way you can have auto ISO and the MkIII does it better but the MkII is a great camera. I'm not sure what else has auto ISO in the Canon range.
    Hi Daryl, actually the 550D has auto ISO already, but I never use it to be honest! I hear the 5D3 has more flexibility though in this regard.

Hmm, still eyeing off the mk iii's........

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great glass is what you want, that is where your investment should be and it seems you're well on your way to doing this.

I am a Nikon user so I have to come from a general point of view.

In reality you will always be offered new cameras, be it Nikon or Canon. To me a camera body is like a car, over time it will lose a lot of value. It's nice to have a new camera, sure.

But it's awesome to have brilliant glass. Pro lenses can really push your limits and enhance your photography. Thats my opinion anyway.

I have heard a lot of good things about the 5DII, so if you feel like this camera can increase ISO capabilities or it now matches your increased knowledge of photography then by all means go for it.

What ever you decide just remember that good glass holds it's value much better than a camera body.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Photography is a science but capturing an image is art.
    www.frangipaniphotography.com.au
    Blog
    lanny@frangipaniphotography.com.au

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have decided on the 5D3, I just think right now a purchase of 4 year old technology might be something I regret down the line - this will be only my second DSLR purchase ever, so I want it to be one that lasts me a long time.

Thanks for the replies!