Thread: Computer Repairs

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Computer Repairs

Hi, does anybody in the Adelaide area know of a good computer repair store. Please take Harvey Norman out of the equation as we have
    received poor service from them.

Thanks

Ruski

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gooday Ruski No idea in SA. Personally i have had no problems dealing with any Professional corner store.
    Last edited by Duane Pipe; 16-05-2012 at 6:39pm.
    Canon 7d efs 15-85mm, Sigma 150-500mm. Nicon coolpix 5400

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you post the details of what your problem is you may find that some of the very computer savy folk on this forum may be able to help you.
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is defo in need of repair. Harvey Norman had it for three weeks without once contacting us. When we went in there to get it back because we were so fed up with them they did tell us it needed a new motherboard,think that is what he said and it would cost $300. Just need to find somewhere else to get the work done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What are the symptoms Ruski? I run a computer repair business in Melbourne, and although I obviously can't help you with the repair, I'd be happy to give you a second opinion based on your description of the symptoms.

I agree with you that holding onto someone's computer for 3 weeks with no communication shows a total lack of professionalism.

Cheers,
    Jaycee

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ruski
    how olds the computer
    and if the motherboards $300
    you might need to weigh up your options if its time for upgrade
    cheers macca

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The computer is three years old and was six weeks out of warranty when it went wrong. When we turn the computer on we get nothing just a black screen. We did try before this happened to save some data and return the computer to factory settings but this did not work. We are a bit unsure as to whether to get it fixed or not because of the cost but it is only three years old.

The computer is a HP Pavillion desktop Jaycee and yes Harvey Norman were very unprofessional.

Ruski

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruski View Post
    The computer is three years old and was six weeks out of warranty when it went wrong. When we turn the computer on we get nothing just a black screen. We did try before this happened to save some data and return the computer to factory settings but this did not work. We are a bit unsure as to whether to get it fixed or not because of the cost but it is only three years old.

The computer is a HP Pavillion desktop Jaycee and yes Harvey Norman were very unprofessional.Ruski
    When you say that you "get nothing justa black screen", do you mean there are no sounds or lights anywhere on or from the computer? If so, Id say the problem is either the motherboard or the power supply. $300 to replace the motherboard sounds reasonable if you do choose to pay, but a power supply should be much cheaper than that.

Considering the computer is only 6 weeks out of warranty, and assuming you haven't damaged it in any way, I would suggest you demand a replacement or repair from the retailer or manufacturer per you statutory warranty. The statutory warranty basically says that something must be fit for the purpose it is intended for a duration of time which a "reasonable consumer" would expect them to be. I would argue that any reasonable consumer would assume that a computer should not totally stop working 6 weeks out of warranty.

Obviously the retailer and manufacturer will most likely try to reject your claim (Apple is the only one I know of who routinely offer replacements out of warranty even if you don't ask), so it's best to be armed with the relevant legislation and be willing to take it to the ACCC or small claims court if needed. See the following links for more info:

http://blogs.abc.net.au/queensland/2...am=612_morning

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-06-0...rights/2749924

http://www.consumer.vic.gov.au/shopp...ty-has-expired

http://www.accc.gov.au/content/index...romItemId/ACCC

I hope that helps.

Cheers,
    jaycee

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't want to throw a spanner in the works for your advice, Jaycee, but would it help if Ruski called HP direct?
    Here is the contact page from their website.
    http://www8.hp.com/au/en/contact-hp/contact.html
    Am.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    I don't want to throw a spanner in the works for your advice, Jaycee, but would it help if Ruski called HP direct?
    Here is the contact page from their website.
    http://www8.hp.com/au/en/contact-hp/contact.html
    Am.
    That's not throwing a spanner in any of my works! lol

I suggested he contact the retailer or the manufacturer (i.e. HP) as they are the two entities who are in a position to help. It's my understanding that the statutory warranty is a contract between the consumer and the retailer from whom the product is originally purchased, and it's my experience that the conversation will be easier in person at a retail store, than on the phone to a call center in Asia, but either approach is worth a try before forking out $300 repairing it himself.

Even if Ruski decides to contact HP directly, I think looking at the above links and knowing his statutory rights is a good idea (a good idea for all of us consumers in fact).

Cheers,
    Jaycee

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your advice. To be honest i can't see us getting anything out of Harvey Norman and we don't really want to go back there. We sent them an email about the service we received and we have not had a proper reply to that except about filling in a survey form for them. I replied to that saying i wanted a proper response from them but as of yet have heard nothing. Lets be honest all they are interested in is getting your money,thats why twenty salesmen jump on you when you enter the store but when there is a problem you cannot find anyone.

Anyway thanks again for the advice now we have to decide which way to go.

Ruski

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes that's the whole purpose of the legislation and the consumer advocacy groups i linked to - they take up the case on your behalf and can force the retailer to honour the statutory warranty or impose fines and other legal penalties if they refuse (assuming of course that they agree it is reasonable to expect a computer to last more than 6 weeks longer than the warranty, which i think they will).

Another thing to check - did you pay by credit card? Often the credit card companies automatically extend the warranty for you via an included insurance. It may be worth asking your bank if that's the case.

Anyway, good luck whichever way you choose to proceed.

Cheers,
    jaycee