User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2

Thread: Q: Brand name or aftermarket lens hood?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Q: Brand name or aftermarket lens hood?

OK, I'm buying an 18-200 for my wife to take away travelling and I am a big one for using a lens hood with provides some protection for the lens especially when hanging at your side on the r-strap.

Question:
    Would you buy the genuine branded hood for around $50 or a cheap copy for less than $5?

I've got genuine Canon hoods for my L lenses, but I've got no experience with the copies.
    Mic

Photography is the art of telling stories with light.

www.michaelgoulding.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally wouldn't give it a second thought. It's just a random piece of plastic, no special engineering goes into it. Actually, I consider that paying anything more than $5 for it would be a total rip off...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ What Patricky said. This place - http://stores.ebay.com.au/Phoebe-G/C...=p4634.c0.m322 - has provided me with very low prices and prompt delivery of various items several times in the past. (My thanks to the long-forgotten poster here who originally put me on to them.)

You are welcome to have a look at the hood I got for Belinda's 15-85, Mic. It isn't quite as strong and robust as the hood on my 24-105/4L, but it's close enough for practical purposes. It tends to rotate itself as you put it in and take it out of the camera bag if you don't keep an eye on it, and this can cause an annoying vignette at 15mm, but this is the exact same behaviour I get with my 10-22 and its Canon factory hood.
    Tony

It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same as above, all aftermarket except for my 70-200 as it came with the lens. I get mine from dealextreme when I'm patient enough to wait for delivery...
    Tania

CC always welcome http://www.taniafernandesphotography.com.au/
    Canon 5d iii, Canon 7d, 50 f/1.8 II, 85 f/1.8, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS, 100 f/2.8 USM Macro

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    from me for PhoebeG. Bought odds and ends from their store, quality fine, service and delivery well above average.
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone, you have confirmed my thoughts on these. I've ordered a cheapie, hope it and my new lens turns up soon.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well the cheap lens hood arrived, I splurged and bought one of the more expensive ones at $10 delivered because it had the velvet flocking inside. It is identical to my genuine ones that came with my L lenses. Even down to the printed labels on it including "Made in Japan"

Thanks everyone for the advice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ordered an after market hood for my old 10-22 (which I no longer have), only to discover it was a REALLY tight fit. Having said that, not sure if it was the after market hood or the lens causing the issues, as it was the worst lens I have ever owned for getting filters on/off. Great lens, but I suspect it may have experienced some rough handling before I received it.