So I have a small home studio that I use for commercial videos (presentation on websites and stuff). It's basically a room in my home where I've set up a big 3m x 6m white backdrop and three 5500K pretty powerful continuous soft boxes.
It's awesome. Since it's made with economy bulbs it doesn't heat much at all either. I've also done a few photo shoots and they turned out very well. But there are two things I don't like about it for still photo:
- My is limited, the most I can down my 100mm and still keep decent / is about f/3.2
- Since the is continuous and kind of intense, the people have their personal completely stopped down, and we all know that slightly dilated pupils look better
I'd like to experiment with flash. I'd like at least three heads and ability to make some soft/diffused .
I have been doing a lot of research, read some articles all over the net and watched videos on youtube.
From what I gathered, here is what I should look for :
- Manual or E-TTL : either go e-ttl for ease, go manual and buy a
- Radio trigger : some kind of remote thing that plugs into the side of the camera
- Solid enough stands including one "boom" one.
- The manual solution seems pretty cool as it's a lot cheaper and it feels like I'd a lot more with it.
- Have a modelling bulb on the flashes
Here are two examples that I found on ebay.
(I copy pasted the description as to not put links - this is not an ad ^^)
What do you think? Do these kits make sense for that price?
I'm not looking for a pro setup, just something that I can use for a while and with.
I do realize that going manual means I would have to add a , but it's not like I'm a pro who needs to optimize his shooting times because he shoots daily to pay bills and can't bother to spend time fiddling with settings. I enjoy experimenting and .
Anyway here are the two packs:
$428 inc. shipping:
[/QUOTE]4 x 200W Flash Strobe (Ref. Y348)
4 x 50W Modeling Bulb
4 x Stand (190cm H)
1 x 50 x 70cm (Soft box) (Ref. SL5070)
1 x 60 x 60cm (soft box) (Ref. SL6060)
2 x White umbrella (33")
1 x Snoot Honey Comb with 4 Color Gels (Red, Yellow, Bule, White)
1 x Barn door with 4 Color Gels (Red, Yellow, Bule, White)
1 x 16-Channel Wireless Radio Trigger Unit (Transmitter + Receiver) (Ref. Y234)
3 x Extra Receiver for the Trigger (Ref. Y234R)
1 x Carrying Soft Case for Flash & Stand
200W Studio Flash
Power Range 200W
Power Control Variable
Guide No. 40GN
Recycle Time 0.5-3s
Angle of illumination 55 degree
Triggering Photo sensor, Sync Cords, Test Button, Wireless Trigger
Power Sources AC 240V OR AV110
Continues Lamp 50W
Color Temp 5500K
Accessories Includes Power cord, Sync cord, Modeling lamp[/QUOTE]
and another one for $295
- 3 x 180W Strobe
- 3 x 75W Modeling Bulb
- 1 x AU plug cable & sync cable
- 3 xStand
- 2 x Soft box
- 2 x 84cm(33") umbrella
- 1 x wireless Trigger
- 1 x barn door
- 1 x Carrying Bag (72 x 25 x 25cm)
- This is a complete package for setting up your own lighting system. Our kit combines the strobes and 2 soft boxes with top qualitystands. This is a great set designed to work with any digital or film camera system. With this setup you are ready for fashion shots, product shots, or pack it all up as a travel set for those weddings or location shots.
the flash has au plug with fuse . (Fuse: 5A )
Flash Output Guide Number
Flash Time Power Control Recycle Time Color
Model 180W 45 1/2000
1/8-1/1 stepless 0.5-2s 5400K
sizes: 50cm x 70cm
Wireless Radio 2-Channel Trigger:
1x transmitter + 1x receiver
(one receiver can trigger 3 flash )
fits sizes:70mm~98mm diameter
4 color gels
sizes: 33" (84cm) diameter
color : balck/silver & white soft