Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: Canon 600D or KISS X5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Canon 600D or KISS X5

Hi All.
    My wife has just started getting interested in photography and I was thinking of getting her a Canon 600D. I just noticed on eglobaldigitalcameras that they have the 600D body for $619 but they have the KISS X5 body for $543.
    Now I know that the KISS X5 is the Japanese version of the 600D but is there any significant differences between them as the $76 price difference makes me think there is some difference?
    As for the lenses a mate is going to flog us his twin kit lenses for cheap as he has just bought the 5D MKII and already has the 24-105L and 70-200L lenses.
    Any info you can give me would be gratefully accepted.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe that it is identical, Peter, except for some minor configuration things:

1: the default language is Japanese. You have to fiddle around with the thing more-or-less blindfold looking for the language selection menu and set it to English - but you only have to do it once. (Hint: have another camera handy to compare it to. If you have (say) a friend's 40D handy you can use that to work out what to look for on the all-Japanese menu and it's dead easy.)

2: the supplied power cables might not be the right ones. You might have to spend $5 on an Australian-style power cable. But probably not.

3: You may or may not get all the documentation in English. Who cares? You can download all that stuff anytime you want anyway.

That's it, so far as I know.
    Tony

It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tannin View Post
    I believe that it is identical, Peter, except for some minor configuration things:

1: the default language is Japanese. You have to fiddle around with the thing more-or-less blindfold looking for the language selection menu and set it to English - but you only have to do it once. (Hint: have another camera handy to compare it to. If you have (say) a friend's 40D handy you can use that to work out what to look for on the all-Japanese menu and it's dead easy.)

2: the supplied power cables might not be the right ones. You might have to spend $5 on an Australian-style power cable. But probably not.

3: You may or may not get all the documentation in English. Who cares? You can download all that stuff anytime you want anyway.

That's it, so far as I know.
    Thanks for the comments Tony.
    I figured there couldn't be too much different.
    A friend has the 600D so if I could go and see her I should be able to find the English language part of the menu from looking at hers.
    Cheers.