Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  3

Thread: GIMP 2.8 released for Windows

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GIMP 2.8 released for Windows

GIMP 2.8 has been released - at least the Windows version - and it has some striking improvements. A full review is available at ars technica, or you can just download it for FREE and try it out for yourself.

For those who can't afford fancy post-processing software, GIMP is as good as you can get for FREE. New features in Version 2.8 include: "layer groups, a single window mode, canvas-based text editing ... and a layout overhaul to make the whole experience much easier and more user-friendly", at least according to PetaPixel. My early tests show there is much more improvement than that, and the good news is that 16-bit and 32-bit image processing with GEGL should also be available this year.

At 75Mb v2.8 is a bit heftier than 2.6, but it's still way lighter than Adobe Lightroom, PSE or CS6 ... especially on the pocket. Enjoy!
    Waz
    Be who you are and say what you mean, because those who matter don't mind don't matter and those who mind don't matter - Dr. Seuss...
    D700 x 2 | Nikkor AF 50 f/1.8D | Nikkor AF 85 f/1.8D | Optex OPM2930 tripod/monopod | Enthusiasm ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Enjoy indeed... I'm a big GIMP fan (on Linux though )!

Please don't hesitate to provide me with CC! I'd love to hear your thoughts regarding any of my images. Thanks!

Ausphotography Addict
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eberbachl View Post
    Enjoy indeed... I'm a big GIMP fan (on Linux though )!

Ever use Puppy Linux? I had a little to do with that in another life.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No - never tried it. I've been a bit of a Ubuntu evangelist for about the last four or five years. I'll check it out just for fun!

Last edited by Eberbachl; 08-05-2012 at 11:03pm.

Ausphotography Addict
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eberbachl View Post
    No - never tried it. I've been a bit of a Ubuntu evangelist for about the last four or five years. I'll check it out just for fun!

And that's what you'll get ... a whole lot of fun in a tiny package. Some recent versions are compatible with Ubuntu apps as well e.g. Lucid Puppy 5.25. I was project leader for 2.15, 4.2 and 4.21 and had some input into Lucid series, but that was a loooonnnnnggggggg time ago in Linux land.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have never used GIMP, instead I have used paint.net which is also a free photoshop alternative. There are plenty of tutorials on the web for it as well.
    Last edited by znelbok; 09-05-2012 at 7:54am.
    Mick

Nikon D600 & D80, 24-70 f2.8 Nikkor, 50mm f1.4 Sigma ,18-135 Nikkor, Kenko Extension Tubes, SB-700 and a few little bits and pieces