Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: direct setup for basic stuff in manual mode on Canon 7D

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

direct setup for basic stuff in manual mode on Canon 7D

Hi,
    I'm not sure if here is the best section or if it's the Canon gear section.
    Mods, please move if you think it's best elsewhere.

In the aperture priority mode, is there a way to set stuff like a minimal shutter speed (just like there is a max auto ISO) ?
    It kind of annoys me when it sometimes (inconsistently) doesn't bump the ISO up enough, and as a consequences makes very long shutter speeds. Av mode has already done a weird thing such as f/2.0 , ISO400, 1/13sec. ?? This doesn't make sense. On other times it will bump the ISO up ...

I'm also trying to figure out a fast way to set AF modes... Still reading the documentation, its pretty poor.
    It would be so easy if the joystick could just control what AF point I'm using ...

Firmware is 1.25 and I have reset all the settings to be sure I had nothing messed up.
    Last edited by patrickv; 08-05-2012 at 7:17pm. Reason: had the back dial locked

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Patrick, no, you cannot set the camera to give you a minimum shutter speed when in AV mode, I cannot explain why the camera would not increase the ISO, when set to Auto ISO, above 400 ??

As for your question about AF modes, do yuo mean AF modes as in Single Shot, AI Focus, AI Servo, or do you mean the focus points and different options with-in that, AF Assist, AF Zone etc.

If talking about the AF Modes - Top Panel - Little Button Says AF-Drive - Depress that button and scroll the front control dial to change from Single Shot - AI Focus, AI Servo, simple quick and easy

If you are talking about the AF Point/Zone selection - Back of the camera, top right hand edge - Little button with a heap of squares on it - depress that button - and then either use the joy stick or a combination of front and rear control dial to select desired focus point, the Multi Function button, right next to the shutter button is then used to select your AF Zone - Single Point, Spot, AF Assist, Your groups of AF Points etc.

You will need to activate some of the options from within the Custom Functions before they become available to you
    Smoke Alarms Save Lives, Install One Today
    I shoot Canon
    Cheers, Mark

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can understand the frustration with it making inconsistent decisions in AV mode with respect to ISO settings.

I find the best way to go is simply to set an ISO value that is likely to give me the best shutter speed and stick with that. With the 7D I am sure you will be ok at 800 and probably 1600.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the help. The weird stuff only happened with the 100mm f/2.
    This camera has a few design quirks, but as I get more comfortable with its operation, I'm starting to like it.