User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  27
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 60D or 7D?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think there is no comparison between the two cameras the 60d is classified as an entry level camera does not belong to the professional class like the 7d. The 7d with its weather sealing and AF system makes it just incomparable to the 60d I own a 7d myself apart from it being a crop sensor camera I have no other complaints about it. I usually shoot landscapes and not sports or action shots. I also have a 5d mark 2 which I mostly use the 7d is the back up camera in my bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dwarak Calayampundi

Canon 5D Mark II, 7 D Lens Canon 24-105mm L Canon 16-35mm II L Canon 100mm Sigma 10-20mm Canon 50mm 1.8
    http://www.wix.com/dwarak/landscapes

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwarak View Post
    I think there is no comparison between the two cameras the 60d is classified as an entry level camera does not belong to the professional class like the 7d....
    While I agree about the 7D's excellence, the 60D is NOT an entry level camera. Far from it.

A rundown of the Canon range on the AP website is here.

Canon uses the number of digits in the model number to classify their cameras. The less digits the higher the classification.

The number '1' is a flagship professional model
    1 digit is advanced amateur 5D, 7D
    2 digits is intermediate amateur 60D
    3 digits is budget amateur 600D
    4 digits is beginner 1100D

And between the 60D and the 7D I think there are swings and roundabouts, it is not all one way traffic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwarak View Post
    I think there is no comparison between the two cameras the 60d is classified as an entry level camera does not belong to the professional class like the 7d. The 7d with its weather sealing and AF system makes it just incomparable to the 60d I own a 7d myself apart from it being a crop sensor camera I have no other complaints about it. I usually shoot landscapes and not sports or action shots. I also have a 5d mark 2 which I mostly use the 7d is the back up camera in my bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Most of the features (apart perhaps from the weather sealing) and the added extra cost of the 7D will do little, if anything for landscape photography over and above what the 60D will do.
    Mark

Canon 70D w/Grip l Canon 60D w/Grip l EF 100-400 f4.5-5.6L IS USM l EF 70-200 f4L IS USM l EF-S 15-85 f3.5-5.6 IS USM l EF 100 f2.8 USM Macro l EF-S 18-55 f3.5-5.6 IS STM l EF 50 f1.8 II l Canon EF-S 10-22 f3.5-4.5 USM l 430 EX II Flash l Rode Stereo VideoMic l Manfrotto 055XPROB + 498RC2 Tripod l Benro MP-96 M8 Monopod l Lowepro Vertex 200 AW Backpack l Lowepro Pro Runner 300 AW Backpack l PS CS5 Extended l Lightroom 4.3

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would think weather sealing would be a major consideration for landscape photographers.
    Keith.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've used my 60D in showers and on the wild coastline, and never had a problem in over 50,000 actuations.

For landscape, the flippy screen is a godsend as you can put the camera low down, and not have to grovel in the dirt to see it.

Picture quality is exactly the same too.
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh as for weather sealing... I stripped apart my 7D after it got splashed with salt water for the 2nd time. Found out there is not a lot of weather sealing in comparison to a XXXD series camera. There is extra bits, just not a whole lot.

Circuity was untouched but loads of salt and corrosion on the body internals. Mostly entered from both the strap hooks/anchor area.

I stripped it further but forgot to take pictures of the corrosion. I cleaned it all up with distilled water, dried it off and put it back together. Works brilliantly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Steve,
    I have both. I've had the 7D for two years and love it. I was looking for a 2nd body, becasue I was tending to change lenses a lot, and wanted to keep dust infiltration down. I decided on the 60D. I tend to keep my wide angle lens on the 60D and my longer lenses on the 7D. It's nice having the flip out screen to compose the landscapes, especially when you're getting down low or up high, or even just on the tripod, to swivel it to face where your standing.

I'f I had to buy one camer only, I'd go with the 7D every time, but I'm really loving the 60D for landscapes.

Cheers,
    Greg
    Cheers,

Greg
    "Photography can be an extreme sport!"

Canon: 7D + BG-E7, 60D, 580EX, 24-105 L IS F4, 100-400mm L IS F4.5-5.6, EF 1.4x III
    Sigma: 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX, 18-200mm f3.5-6.3 DC OS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you thought of a 5D or 5DII as most of your subjects are static & the centre point AF of the 5DII is adequate for your needs with superior IQ for landscapes.

Canon: 1DIII, 5DIII, 5D, 17-40, 24-70, 70-200 f2.8 L IS vii, 100 macro, 50 L, 50 f1.8 (Best value lens), 300 f2.8 L IS.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Tony, I got the 7D in the end and im loving it! Thanks for the reply
    Steve

Canon G12, Canon 7D, Canon 10-22USM, Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105L​, Canon 100mm Macro USM

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like very much the lens adjustment in the 7d. It does make a difference but my worst lens is only -5 on the scale.

James

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban lostdot's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i was in the same boat between the two cameras and decided to go for the 60d, couldnt see the pint in the extra when im not going to be able to afford l series lenses for a while, but that was my choice. the 60d has been an excellent camera, absolutly love it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've always assumed that my upgrade from the 450d would be the 7d but after doing a bit of research and reading posts like this and youtube, I'm wondering if the 60D (or 70D) might not be a better move. On paper the differences are, in my mind, minimal: focus points, extra processor, higher burst rate (I shoot single shot), flippy-around-screen-thing and size. I went to #elizabeth street camera shop# to try the two in my hands and think the 60d more comfortable for me. I'm not sure if that is because I'm used to the smaller size of the 450d or because it feels better.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lantern, if the 60D feels better in hand, that is a factor I would definitely take into account. Especially since you see little benefit for yourself in the 7D's extras.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lantern View Post
    On paper the differences are, in my mind, minimal: focus points, extra processor, higher burst rate (I shoot single shot), flippy-around-screen-thing and size. I went to #elizabeth street camera shop# to try the two in my hands and think the 60d more comfortable for me.
    As Arg said, if it feels comfortable
    I've found the "flippy-around-screen-thing" quite useful. High ISO seems Okay also.
    "Enjoy what you can do rather than being frustrated at what you can't." bobt
    Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 28-105, Sigma 150-600S.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123