User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  6

Thread: 5D Mark II Error 30 Battery Related

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

5D Mark II Error 30 Battery Related

This error message has come up twice in the last 6 months...it reads that I should turn off and remove the battery. It does not allow you to continue shooting.

On both occasions the camera was in hot condition...but not extreme.

On the most recent time I borrowed a battery from a fellow Canon shooter and it still wasn't resolved...it did work a short time later with another battery. Could it be the battery contacts?

Is it a contact issue? What should I do..take it to have the contacts both camera and battery cleaned???..

I am about to go away and I need it to be reliable...but I will definitely be taking a back up.

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Error code 30 is a shutter related error. It has been very comon on Canon cameras for a number of years now. You would think that they would have got their act together and fixed their quality control issues.

I know people that have perservered with it as their camera was a grey import or bought second-hand but having to take the battery out to reset the camera is a pain. If your camera is under warranty (or even if it is a local purchase with a receipt and out of warranty), get Canon to fix it. Canon should fix this issue out of warranty for locally bought stuff as this is a defect rather than wear and tear.
    Cheers

PeterB666

Olympus Pen F with Metabones Speed Booster and Laowa 12mm f/2.8 or Voigtlander 10.5mm f/0.95 or Nikon D800 with the Laowa 12mm f/2.8. The need to keep in touch with the past is a Nikon Photomic FTn or Nikon F2A and a Nikkor 25-50mm f/4 AI

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that...I have an extended warranty on the camera...have just spoken to them..sounds positive..but we will see when the camera comes back. It is locally purchased. Thanks for sending me in the best direction.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen error 30 that is lens related. I got it on my 10d, but only with 1 lens, and usually at the same focal length.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to get the error 01 message often on the 5D Mk11 and it refused to go on
    Told me to use a Canon lens so I bought a Canon macro lens and left the Tamron 90mm macro for the 40D no problems there.
    Though the 40D used to get some error message then died, it was only about six months old Canon fixed that.
    Continuous use on Live View will heat up the camera also as I do that often for very close up macro when I cannot see through the viewfinder

I shoot with Olympus Cameras.. Sometimes Canon and My iPhone SE 2020

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a listing of Canon digital camera error codes...

Canon camera error codes (Canon Australia)

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought that I might finish this 'story'. I had an extended warranty so I took the camera to the shop. They were very helpful and my camera was sent to be assessed. I was please as to where it was being assessed...a very reputable camera repairer locally that is accredited by all the international brands.

They contacted me directly to find out more detail about the fault and when it occurred. This was about 4 weeks after I had taken the camera in. Then I received a message to say the it would be a further 3 weeks for the parts required to be available.

I now have my camera back...as to whether the fault appears again...it is unlikely based on past history to be in winter in Melbourne.

All up I was without my camera for 8 weeks but I have it back and the shutter has been replaced at no financial cost to me.