Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  22
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Indian Myna and my moral dilemma

D750 Shines
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are destructive and of no use ,kills the native chicks and birds don't come back.Have no pity or remorse as they have shown themselves to have non either
    They are in my cross-hairs
    cheers

Nikon D750,D500,Z6,Coolpix P7700
    Nikkor 300mm f/4E PF ED VR, Nikkor 16-35mm f/4 VR, Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8, Tokina 100mm f/2.8, Tamron 60mm f/2 , Tamron SP 24-70mm f2.8 VC Di, Nikon Z 24-70mm f/4
    FTZ adapator
    Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cupic View Post
    ...Have no pity or remorse as they have shown themselves to have non either
    They are in my cross-hairs
    cheers...
    Oh, they are so pointedly remorseless, aren't they!!! How dare they be like that.
    It would make you cross, and you do need cheering up.

Why can't they see that as an introduced species they have less right to be here and destroy local habitats than the rest of us introduced species have and do.
    They will assuredly understand, as they have - and just choose to thwart - the human capacity to feel remorse.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    ^That's fair enough and amusing Am.
    However, I'd shoot them on sight. (bugga, I don't have a gun. Therefore some one with a gun should shoot them on sight!)
    We'd be better off without them. The same as they think they'd be better off without any other birds of any kind near them. They just take active steps to achieve their goal.
    Cane toad of the sky.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well it must be brickbats for Kym. Look what he just let lse:
    {[("(shoo!)(SHOO!)(Shoe!)")]}

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The program they ran in Canberra wouldn't have worked as well if it hadn't been widespread - as each person took up doing it, others in the area also did, and it spread. You won't likely have a long term effect doing just your own yard. It was lots of yards doing it that made the difference.
    Definitely use the mouse poison only for what it was intended. Using it for birds or other species, has potential to get you in trouble. I get the sense from what you've written, that you wouldn't do it anyway, and that it was a spur of the moment in desperation. I can definitely understand that level of frustration.
    I believe that the Canberra program are happy to help other States as well. Definitely get in touch with them for advice. From the TV article I saw on them, it was one person as frustrated as yourself, that pretty much got started, and it spread from there.

As for the morality of it, unfortunately to be really good stewards of this planet, we have to sometimes undo the damage we have previously done. It's not the IM's fault, and they're only doing what comes naturally to them, but we aren't talking about making them extinct, we are talking about removing them from an area they don't belong for the sake of those that do belong. Maintaining the correct balance might mean making hard decisions. Doing it humanely is the right decision.
    This is just my 5cents worth (can't give my 2cents worth. We only have 5cent pieces).
    Canon EOS 60D ..... EFS 18-200mm f/3.5 - 5.6 IS - 430 EXII Speedlite - "eBay special" Remote Control Unit - Manfrotto 190XPROB w 804RC2 head.

Still in the Circle of Confusion
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having given this problem some serious thought over the last few days, I've realised that it is not in my make-up to cause what is probably a slow and painful death to any creature, albeit an acknowledged pest, predator and killer of our native birdlife.

Perhaps, as Ezooliel alluded to, a visit to the local council may be a good starting point.

The proliferation of the Indian Myna is a problem, and a problem that we created by importing them in the first place, so it is up to us to find a humane solution to address the imbalance that we have caused.

Thank you all for your thoughtful replies. I'll post the outcome of my visit to the council.

Cheers

Kevin
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    with indian/ australian relations at an all time low i would say gentle diplomacy is the key to solving the problem. If you dont speak hindi I have someone on my staff that will translate for you

in all seriousness tho trapping is the best way to go. poisoning will get other birds and animals, electrifying the water bath will do the same. a cage trap will work and then release other birds and snap the necks of the minahs. interestingly canberra has completely erradicated the species from within its borders i believe. maybe following what they did (whatever that was)

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trublubiker View Post
    ...a visit to the local council may be a good starting point... ...I'll post the outcome of my visit...
    Kevin
    Very civic, Citizen Kevin.

Quote Originally Posted by ving View Post
    with indian/ australian relations at an all time low i would say gentle diplomacy is the key to solving the problem. If you dont speak hindi I have someone on my staff that will translate for you

in all seriousness tho trapping is the best way to go. poisoning will get other birds and animals, electrifying the water bath will do the same. a cage trap will work and then release other birds and snap the necks of the minahs. interestingly canberra has completely erradicated the species from within its borders i believe. maybe following what they did (whatever that was)
    After all that, just re-make a James Bond movie, Live and Let Live.

Think of all the bad Karma from the little mynas. They'll give you a hard time at the pearly gates for sure.
    m.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Came across this interesting article with a Google search.

http://www.abc.net.au/science/articl...08/2044900.htm

If you are fortunate enough to not presently have a Myna problem, be aware that they are coming, soon.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very interesting. That's a clever trap!
    Disposing of the dead birds in a domestic situation would pose a problem, though.
    Note they were introduced to control insect pests. Sounds familiar.
    Am.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I've just had an interesting (not) chat to a staff member at the local council.

It would seem that the council is well aware of the Myna problem,to the extent that they have decided that the problem is out of control, and have therefore put it in the 'too hard basket'. Not a very municipally responsible attitude in my view.

They purchased about a dozen 'Tidemann' traps a few years ago, and will lend them out on request. Disposal of the trapped birds is your responsibility. How you do that is up to you. Carbon dioxide poisoning and neck wringing were mentioned as possibilities.
    How bloody ghastly is that? I couldn't wring a birds neck, but I guess that begs the question that I may want to sit back and let others do the unpleasant, but necessary, dirty work.

I know that allowing the uncontrolled spread of these birds is as wrong as using inhumane methods to remove them.

So, what to do, and why am I getting the distinct feeling that I maybe about to grasp a tiger by the tail?

Cheers

Kevin

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    Very interesting. That's a clever trap!
    Disposing of the dead birds in a domestic situation would pose a problem, though.
    Note they were introduced to control insect pests. Sounds familiar.
    Am.
    Yes Am, I've seen them referred to as flying cane toads.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trublubiker View Post
    ..... Disposal of the trapped birds is your responsibility. How you do that is up to you. Carbon dioxide poisoning and neck wringing were mentioned as possibilities.
    How bloody ghastly is that? I couldn't wring a birds neck, but I guess that begs the question that I may want to sit back and let others do the unpleasant, but necessary, dirty work.......

The council's response does sound a bit pathetic. I am aware that vets are required to euthanise feral animals - one of the downsides of working in that field. I suppose it is worse to do the same for healthy but otherwise unwanted pet animals and that also happens too frequently.

I do sympathise with the bird in that (as others have said) they did not ask to come here and it is only their innate instincts which makes them so undesirable but sympathy does not mean I want them around either. Unfortunately, to help eradicate pests someone has to do the "dirty work" and if your part is to trap the birds for others to euthanise then at least you are doing something which is obviously more than some others including your council are prepared to do.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Give back to our youth what we had. The right to own a Slug Gun
    Canon 7d efs 15-85mm, Sigma 150-500mm. Nicon coolpix 5400

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Kevin, there are probably a lot of people in your area thinking what you are. Maybe write a letter to the editor of some local newspapers. "Does anyone else think these birds are getting out of hand, council's useless, what can we do?" type of thing.
    Hopefully it sparks someone else to grab the tiger by the tail. You can then support them etc
    Wonder if Mr Tinkler reads the local paper.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Myna Mornay perhaps?

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Imagine living in a society where a governing group of individuals does not permit YOU do have food, water nor peace nor shelter.

These are essential human rights.

The governing group is declining your basic human rights.

In order for one group to survive, a decision needs to be made.

There are two buttons on a table.

BUTTON A: the governing body is terminated.

BUTTON B: If you press the other, you are terminated.

Will you choose?

HINT
    : Your moral obligation as a human is to act in defense of those in need.
    "Nature photography is about choosing a location, crawling through dirt, being bitten by insects and occasionally taking a great image". - Wayne Eddy.

Canon 5D MkIII, Canon 7D, 17-40mm f/4L,
    24-105mm f/4L
    + Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS +400mm f/5.6L + Canon 1.4xTC + Canon 100 EF f2.8 USM + 430-EX

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by enduro View Post
    There are two buttons on a table.

BUTTON A: the governing body is terminated.

BUTTON B: If you press the other, you are terminated.
    I tried both options - as a mental exercise - and nothing happened, though I did get confused.

What should I do?

Could it be that AP is running a bit slow (on my computer at least) this morning.
    ?Am.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post

What should I do?

Am!!

You obviously can't see the 3rd option(as you don't have admin privileges!! )

BUTTON C: Terminate Am!!

Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    ^

Please don't.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast