Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  5

Thread: Travel camera (good P&S)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Travel camera (good P&S)

Hi all,

My sister needs a new camera for an overseas trip, and I don't know anything about non-SLRs these days.

Cost is not especially an issue, but nothing too valuable or ostentatious (we don't want it getting stolen).

It needs to be fairly small physically, small enough for a pocket is good.

It needs a reasonably flexible zoom lens, but I think not one of those superzoom things as we don't want something too large and expensive-looking

Raw ability is not actually required but very much to be preferred.

I'd like to see it have decent higher ISO capability (so far as is possible in a P&S)

Anything else I need to mention? Brand doesn't matter, whatever is good. Tough build is good as she will be in the tropics during the monsoon season - hot, humid, rain every day. All advice welcome!
    Tony

It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got a S95 and it's pretty good little P&S for travel. The newer version has seen a lens upgrade so could be worth looking at.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We bought a Canon G12 for this purpose and have been generously rewarded. The wife likes it because it can be very simple and it allows me to teach her some basic 'manual' methods. JPEG & RAW files, good ISO range, sharp lens. I'd buy it again.

Nikon SLR user.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For a cost to benefit ratio, I think I've decided for my own purchasing(dollars being spent) on a Sony DSC TX10 waterproof compact.

Not for me mind you, as I can't use these compacts .. it's for my daughter's birthday pressie in a few months.

So for me either this or it's replacement at the time.

Images look good from it.
    It's waterproof to a few meters so daughter can play with it in the water of course.

I suppose for a travel camera, it kind of makes a bit of sense to have a slightly more rugged camera.
    Bumps, drops etc, the last thing you want while on holiday is to accidentally brutally murder your lil precious compact.

The other alternative was a Panasonic DMC TS3/FT-3 as it also had very good image quality.
    Last edited by arthurking83; 01-05-2012 at 11:07pm.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

can't remember
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yike! So many choices! It certainly looks as though there are some very nice units around these days. Thanks for all replies. I'm following up on them one by one. Lots to learn!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Forgot to mention the S95 goes in the pocket pretty well, while the G12 wouldn't, the new version would be even worse.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got a couple of P & S for light travel so here's a few thoughts.

I bought the Panasonic DMC TS3/FT-3 for my wife / snorkeling pics. I takes some great shots as Arthur mentioned and will handle the conditions you mentioned.

The G12 whilst taking great daylight photos IMHO was really poor at higher ISO night or poorly lit shots.

The wife just killed the G12 so I just (turned up Monday) bought a G1X as a replacement. My initial impressions are this will turn out to be a nice travel camera. It handles low light situations and the OOC JPeg shots are quite nice. I haven't really had the chance to learn how to use it properly or have a look at the RAW files I've taken over the last few days. Downside is it's borderline (not really) pocketable.

To the pocket size ones. The S100 is a ripper little pocket camera. Again the OOC Jpegs are nice. I probably prefer the Jpegs to the RAW files actually. Great details and nice colours.

The SX260 turned up on Monday as well and again has had little use. It's a superzoom and again the OOC Jpegs show nice detail and colours. I don't have a steady hand so at the long end I struggled. I was looking for something to add to the S100 as it's quite short on the zoom side of things.
    AKA Sean

Canon 5D MKII - 24-105L - 70-200 F4L IS - 70-300 IS USM - 28 1.8 - 35L 1.4 - 50 1.4 - 85 1.8 - 100L Macro - 200L 2.8II - Tamron 17-35 2.8 - Sigma 150-500 - 430EX - and a stack of other bits and pieces.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've used a few although not particularly recently, the last being a G12. I's written a review on it on Ausphotogtaphy but as a quick summary, good in good light but too slow for my liking. ISO good to 320 for my standards, unusable OVF but handy swivel LCD. The S100 would basically be a pocket version of a G12 with an updated sensor.
    G1X should improve on both low ISO and high ISO IQ but the increase in size start to pit it against CSCs, then options open up further.

I've also heard good things about Olympus XZ1 but don't have enough experience to comment (only had a quick play in the airport once).
    I still have a Sony TX5 (my wife's camera) and to be honest, there's a lot to like.
    It's small, rugged, waterproof to 3m, nice pics in good light straight out of camera. Just don't expect it to produce good results when condition start to get challenging. From memory, anything more than 1 stop above base ISO was poor IMO.
    Nikon FX + m43
    davophoto.wordpress.com

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Canon SX230 IS won a recent shootout as the best camera of this class. (flat pocketable camera with a lens approx equiv to 28-300mm).

My wife had an older Panasonic of his class of camera and I thought it was great.

If the SX230 is better than our old Panasonic, then I would recommend it!

can't remember
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm just about to order a Canon G1X for her because we like the large, clean sensor a lot, and the good control layout (much the same as a G12, apparently). Size is close to the upper limit but looks just OK. Lens range is good (we don't need huge zoom, prefer quality and reasonable size). Built quality sounds very good, and an optical viewfinder is very much desired.

Downsides are primarily the quality of the optical viewfinder (said by DPR to be not much good) and a number of small design & usability flaws withch will doubtless disappear with the next model. But she's going away shortly so we need to order tonight.

Is anyone going to say "don't do it! get a XYZ instead!" I really don't know much at all outside DSLRs, so let me know if I'm making a mistake.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm with you - I really struggle with compacts and have no idea how to use them, but seem to be much better with DSLR.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The G1X is what I would buy too.
    The reviews have been very good and I really like thatit has a good size sensor.

I'm seriously thnking of buying one for my wife (at least that's the excuse I'm going to use).
    You can pick them up for just over $600 grey.
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What are peoples thoughts about traveling overseas with a DSLR?

Cheers
    Banjo

D5100, AF-S 18 105, AF-S 10 24.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lot depends on how you are travelling. I took a DSLR and a couple of lenses to Japan in 2011 when I was getting around using public transport. It was heavy and cumbersome at times. On the other hand, if you are on a tour or have a hire car/friends who are driving you around, a DSLR would be the way to go. I am going to Vietnam and Thailand later this year - which is why I am checking out this P&S thread. I may take the 50D and I contemplating buying the 24-105 as a general purpose lens (most of my lenses are either primes or f2.8 so either lacking in zoom flexibility or quite heavy) and just use it for specific sites/events. However, my general experience when travelling around is that a DLSR isn't quick and easy to use in situations where you need to carry other items or the terrain is a bit challenging. (I hesitate to jump from rocks etc with a DSLR hanging around my neck).

So are there any updates on the P&S for travel? I like high ISO capability, raw images and good fps - so on the options listed, am currently considering the G1X.