1:
Digital scan I received from the processing lab

Ok, not a particularly splendiferous image by any means(that much I can accept), but a snap is a snap and I want my snaps to look at least half decent

... so

2:
my version captured by the D300, slide copy adapter and Nikon75/4 EL

By no means perfect, but a lot better. Processing was my basic batch job, no tweaks, WB differences are either mild or wild so I left it as is, from the batch process neg to print conversion in CNX2 I made.

Both of those images are the same negative, the lab obviously cropped a little too and my image is the uncropped version showing the edges of the slide copy adapter in all it's glory.

3:
D300 and Tammy 28-75/2.8 @ 28mm version of the 'same scene'(well, as the same as I could reasonably capture it anyhow.

looking at it now the D300 image is a bit more contrasty, which is a lot easier to adjust compared to the film image.

Apart from the slightly darker exposure rendering I tried on the negative, I also used the grad to burn in the lower part of the image to better balance the shadows with the sky.
Look carefully and you can not only see a bluer sky, but more detail in the shadows of the table .. etc the camera and stuff in my print version.