Thread: Sony A55 v Canon 60D question.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sony A55 v Canon 60D question.

Hi all
    I am new to photography, so please be gentle with me
    I am thinking of buying a Sony A55 for a few reasons, the main one being it is small and light enough for me to use. I have done some research on the Nikon D7000 and Canon 60D, I had almost decided on the Canon when I was shown the Sony.
    I have read the Sony's quality isn't quite up to the Canon. Is ther really much difference?
    I will be using the camera for portraits (of my granddaughter mostly), landscape, travel photos, macros (not a huge amount) and will be joining a camera club so will be experimenting.
    Thanks for any feedback
    Ros

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi again.

You will get lots more answers here, including the odd brand battles. But DO NOT expect anything definitive, because ultimately the choice will be yours.
    Do take note of what people say on here because THEY USE these cameras.

Apart from that, have you looked at any reviews in your research? I hasten to say that you must consider carefully what the saleperson said and try to determine why.
    It could be a genuine effort to help, or it can be to clear stock, etc. Already you have indicated an uncertainty between Canon and Sony, and the Nikon d7000 was in the mix.

If you haven't already, ALSO see DP Reviews tests (among others) here are links to their individual reviews on each model:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonyslta55/18

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos60D/20

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond7000/22

Though there's heaps of reading, not all may be relevant straight away. In particular, take note of the sections labelled "Conclusion and Samples".
    In reading that, also consider why the reviewer might have said it and how it compares with what you may have read and seen here and elsewhere.

I cannot help at all specifically, but I have noticed that there's a price difference between the models.

Just a last general statement which I think is important: Image Quality (IQ) is a very important factor in choosing a camera.

Good luck/reading.
    Am.
    Last edited by ameerat42; 23-05-2012 at 5:37pm.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All 3 are good cameras, but they have their differences.

The Sony is smaller than the others, and lighter too, but you really have to try the LCD viewfinder in different lights to see if you like it.
    Some people love it, others hate it.
    The Nikon and the Canon have optical viewfinders, which means you are seeing directly through the lens, and with the Sony, you are looking at an LCD display, which may have a bit of lag when moving the camera around and be difficult to see the image clearly in very bright light.
    If you are after fast focussing, the Sony may not be for you either, as it does take a little while to get focus, where the Canon and Nikon are almost instantaneous.

If you are just looking at getting a couple of general purpose lenses, then the Sony is fine, but if you are going to build a system of lenses and various accessories for various uses, then the Nikon or Canon would be the way to go as they offer a much bigger variety of lenses and accessories than is available for the Sony.

If you intend on taking lots of videos, then the Sony has the advantage of auto focussing while videoing, whereas the Canon and Nikon work much better using manual focus.

You need to look and feel the cameras, and read all the reports before you can make an educated opinion about them, but for casual everyday use, any of the cameras will do a good job and take great pictures.
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Mark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can not give much advice on which to choose as I do not have experience with many brands.

In relation to the A55 I would probably look at the A37 and A57 as these are 2012 models (second generation SLT) and the A55 is 2010 model.
    Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nowadays, all the expensive cameras are awesome. Canon and Nikon have the biggest set of lenses and user base. Sony is an outsider with nice stuff. Technically Sony don't make DSLRs, they make DSLR-like cameras, with a semi-translucent mirror that doesn't move. It allows cool stuff like continuous autofocus during video, less clic-clac audio noise / no mirror movement and wear. It also means you don't have a "real" optical viewfinder, which may or may not be fine, and it eats up 1/3rd of the light since the semi translucent mirror is always there.

Apart for "big stuff" like full frame vs crop sensor - which is many cases doesn't even matter anyway, the only real difference between the cameras will be the handling, and that's all personal taste.
    How does it feel in your hand? Do you like the menu system, the viewfinder, the focus system, the flash setup, the buttons?
    Go in a shop, hold them, walk around the shop and take pictures, try to do some manual setting, is it easy/instinctive for you?
    Last edited by patrickv; 23-05-2012 at 7:16pm. Reason: specified it was audio noise, not image noise