Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Photographic gear breeding?

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Photographic gear breeding?

Hi all, since taking up this hobby I have noticed that photo gear has a tendency too breed.
    I started out with a D5000 poverty pack that included a $20.00 tripod and was quite happy then about a month later I spent $95.00 on another tripod and I was still quite happy.
    Then it happened not being satisfied with the kit lenses supplied for bird pictures I purchased a Sigma 150-500 lens and behold my 95 dollar tripod would not support the weight of said lens and camera without shaking so I bought a $450.00 tripod this has done the job admirably. But then I found my original purchase of a Lowepro Versapack did not allow Me to carry all the gear I wanted to so I a bought a Lowepro 450 Runner backpack, so dear reader you may think My problems had sorted themselves out But putting the two packs together I found a third camera bag a lot smaller than the two backpacks had mysteriously appeared.
    So My serious question is does camera gear breed on it's own.
    All the best,
    Muggins,
    AKA steve.
    Last edited by muggins; 30-04-2012 at 2:29pm. Reason: spelling

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find that my sox are dissapearing, and usually just one of a pair, and they seem to transform themselves into metal coat hangers!
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish the gear breeding didn't co-inside with the endangerment and decline of the brightly coloured plastic note....
    Call me Roo......
    Nikon D300s, Nikon 35mm 1.8 DX, Nikkor 50mm 1.4 Af-S, Nikon 18-200mm VR, Nikon 70-200VRII 2.8, Sigma 105 Macro, Sigma 150-500mm f5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM, Tokina 12-24mm, Sb-600, D50, Nikon 1.7 T/C, Gitzo CF Monopod

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only known cure is a credit card statement. Leave it lying around, let your partner find it and come to their own conclusions when they compare the cost of the last gift you got them with what you've spent on gear this month.
    Steve

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rellik666 View Post
    I wish the gear breeding didn't co-inside with the endangerment and decline of the brightly coloured plastic note....
    ..... especially those pretty bright green triple digit versions!
    (can never seem to hold on to them ones for long enough to maintain my gear breeding hobby! )
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by muggins View Post
    Hi all, since taking up this hobby I have noticed that photo gear has a tendency too breed.
    I started out with a D5000 poverty pack that included a $20.00 tripod and was quite happy then about a month later I spent $95.00 on another tripod and I was still quite happy.
    Then it happened not being satisfied with the kit lenses supplied for bird pictures I purchased a Sigma 150-500 lens and behold my 95 dollar tripod would not support the weight of said lens and camera without shaking so I bought a $450.00 tripod this has done the job admirably. But then I found my original purchase of a Lowepro Versapack did not allow Me to carry all the gear I wanted to so I a bought a Lowepro 450 Runner backpack, so dear reader you may think My problems had sorted themselves out But putting the two packs together I found a third camera bag a lot smaller than the two backpacks had mysteriously appeared.
    All the best,
    Muggins,
    AKA steve.
    Cheryle

He is!
    ><>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many have this same phenomenon occurring. I never dreamed that 2.5 years back when I bought my D300 + 18-200VR kit that I would spend the $ I have and own the gear I'm now holding. Sometimes when I look at my insurance paperwork (usually when I have just added something else of value!), and see what I have spent, it makes me stop and think about what else I could have done with the $ and I ponder what I would lose upon it's re-sale.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's known as GAS (gear acquisition syndrome) in some circles. 've often suspected my Pentaxes of breeding, but I've yet to catch them at it.
    Alive and still clicking - apologies to PSQ.
    Living and working in the Roaring Forties
    Assorted cameras of all sizes and shapes including Pentax K (the original), MX, Z1,K20D; 50mm 1.2, 35mm 2.0, 85mm 1.8

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeh, not only do they breed but they leave home as well, then you have to buy more expensive lenses to fill the empty holes.
    Lloyd
    Canon 5D2+40D+L+Σ+S100
    Never make the same mistake twice, there are so many new ones, try a different one each day
    Flickr

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    GAS is good, as long as you use the gear reasonably regularly. I know people who buy new gear, use it once and rarely use it again. I think everyone has done it (I have a lensbaby I rarely use).

Buying gear, in itself is not an issue, it's the buying gear that you don't really need or use...repeatedly!

I know of a guy (not an AP member) who has over $30K of Canon gear all in a couple of large Pelican cases. He gets the cases out every time I go to visit and talks about all his gear... I have never seen him take a photo with any of it..not once. Asking our acquaintances, they are the same, having not seem him take a single photo.

Buy the gear, and USE it... Gearheads to me are those that talk about gear all day, but never take photos (or put photos on AP).
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dr X Posure has noted several similar diseases with their own distinct symptoms:
    http://mansurovs.com/diseases-that-p...ers#more-27783
    He does suggest a number of treatments for cure, but I warn you some of the material within may shock :P.

Rick raises a really good point, GAS is so odd in the case of the non-photographing photographer. I don't understand it but I've seen it before as well. The other GAS case of interest is the - Still don't know how to use a camera but going to get pro gear because it will improve my photography - Its probably just as foolish.

Of course, some people may look at my kit bag and suspect that I am a sufferer, but I can assure you I use my gear .
    Last edited by Xebadir; 11-05-2012 at 9:28am.
    John
    Nikon D800, D700, Nikkor 14-24 F2.8, 24-70mm F2.8, 50mm F1.8D, 70-200mm F2.8 VRII, Manfrotto 190XB with Q5 PM Head,
    SB-900,600, portable strobist setup & Editing on an Alienware M14x with LR4 and CS5 and a Samsung XL2370 Monitor.

Stormchasing isn't a hobby...its an obsession.
    For my gallery and photography: www.emanatephotography.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by muggins View Post
    All the best,
    Muggins,
    AKA steve.
    LoL. I started out with a Canon 500D kit lens poverty pack 2+ years ago. I've been through 10+ lenses so far and now am stuck with 3L lenses, 2 FF bodies, 3 Film camera + lenses, 4 strobes and a whole lot more. Sucks on the wallet tho.

Account Closed
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's good to see that I am not on my own. I think I have made another mistake went to visit some relatives and packed my gear and put my P&S in with my D5000 and now it looks a bit heavier,randy little buggers them kodak point and shoots.Will keep posting developments as they happen.
    Thanks to all who have replied to this thread.
    All the best.
    Muggins,
    AKA steve

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahhhh.. The dreaded GAS.

Just wait til you've accumulated 'too much' pro heavy gear and decide its all a bit overkill and want something smaller and lighter.
    Then the process repeats itself all over again with another more compact system.
    Nikon FX + m43
    davophoto.wordpress.com

Account Closed at member's request
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish my gear bred. I've put my 70-200 and my 24-70 together in a case for ages in the hope they would mate and create a 14-24 but no luck yet. I've even tried buying them some filters to make it more romantic nothing has changed. Maybe one of my lenses is gay, or maybe they're both males, I've never found a way to identify the sex of a lens properly. At this point I'm guessing they're both male because they're both pretty consistent and they don't get moody at all. They also enjoy sport which is not as common for females. (I'll wait for the backlash on the final comments added for humour )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MissionMan View Post
    I wish my gear bred. I've put my 70-200 and my 24-70 together in a case for ages in the hope they would mate and create a 14-24 but no luck yet. I've even tried buying them some filters to make it more romantic nothing has changed. Maybe one of my lenses is gay, or maybe they're both males, I've never found a way to identify the sex of a lens properly. At this point I'm guessing they're both male because they're both pretty consistent and they don't get moody at all. They also enjoy sport which is not as common for females. (I'll wait for the backlash on the final comments added for humour )
    From personal experience though the gestation period is approximately three years.
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Account Closed at member's request
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    From personal experience though the gestation period is approximately three years.
    damn, and I thought elephants had a long gestation. I'm worried about what the stretch marks will do to my poor 24-70.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I had a case of GAS but that has fortunately passed. My bag is full and I don't want to be lugging around more stuff. Sure I would love a D800 and a couple of f2.8 zooms or fast primes but it's pretty hard for me to justify dropping that kind of money on what is merely a hobby for me.

I hope my gear doesn't breed since I don't have the room or money for the offspring.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't fool yourself, Lazyshooter, GAS strikes without warning, but in many cases, it shows itself as an urge to buy beautiful old, but working, equipment. Age doesn't matter, some of my cherished items are over fifty years old, and still being put to work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very true StanW, it will probably strike again. And yes I bought a manual focus AIS lens during my GAS stage

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast