Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: MR-14EX ring lite and filter

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MR-14EX ring lite and filter

Taking a look at the MR-14EX ring lite and I'm reading that you need to remove your filter to attach it? I'd be using it with a Canon 100mm 2.8 macro, but I'd really rather not remove my filter to use it each time.

If so, does anyone have any workaround solutions to allow both? Rather not reinvent the wheel

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What are you using a filter for. If its just a UV filter you dont need one.. Take it off and you will most likely get clearer images..

I shoot with Olympus Cameras.. Sometimes Canon and My iPhone SE 2020

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mary Anne View Post
    What are you using a filter for. If its just a UV filter you dont need one.. Take it off and you will most likely get clearer images..
    Because I like the added protection when I'm working with close subjects. I'm using a Pro1D, and didn't cheap out on the filter so the degradation is not apparent unless the filter is dirty.

Do you use the ring lite?

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I work a lot closer to subjects than my 90mm and 100mm macro lenses I have the MP-E- 65mm lens and dont use a filter on any of my lenses.
    Don't think a soft insect or flower is going to hurt any lens.

No I dont use a ring light I use the MT-24-EX Twinlite.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mary Anne View Post
    I work a lot closer to subjects than my 90mm and 100mm macro lenses I have the MP-E- 65mm lens and dont use a filter on any of my lenses.
    Don't think a soft insect or flower is going to hurt any lens.

No I dont use a ring light I use the MT-24-EX Twinlite.
    I don't always photograph insects and flowers, and I use extension tubes so the distance between the lens and the subject is sometimes very small (as you'd know). Personal preference, not a competition.

Anyway, digging deep into customer reviews I have found that the Canon 58C Macrolite Adapter will sit in place of a lens hood and the ring lite will screw into that, allowing me to keep my filter on.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fedgrub View Post
    I don't always photograph insects and flowers, and I use extension tubes so the distance between the lens and the subject is sometimes very small (as you'd know). Personal preference, not a competition.

Anyway, digging deep into customer reviews I have found that the Canon 58C Macrolite Adapter will sit in place of a lens hood and the ring lite will screw into that, allowing me to keep my filter on.

Thats good that you have found out what you wanted to know it certainly pays to research.
    I will look forward to seeing what you post on the Macro Forum when you get that ring lite up and on your camera then ..