User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  14

Thread: Motorcycle riders, please be careful ... really REALLY careful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Motorcycle riders, please be careful ... really REALLY careful.

There just isn't anything much between you and any hard objects when you ride a motorbike.
    The 23 year old son of my best mate has tonight lost his life from an accident that, in a car, would barely have spilled the driver's coffee.
    Witnesses say it was at generally low speed. Turning left off a country road onto another road, for reasons the Police have not been able to ascertain, he has ended up going off the road and hit a pole. Even a helmet can't always prevent brain trauma. When they swell up, there's nowhere for the swelling to go. He never regained consciousness, but his family had to watch him losing the battle for a day and a half.
    So totally devastated tonight it is beyond comprehension. I watched that kid grow up, took him camping, 4wding, abseiling, and went rock-climbing with him every week for quite a while. He was even quite a budding photographer.

If you ride a motorbike, please take "carefulness" to all new heights. 23 should be the prime of a person's life, not the end of it.
    RIP Stewart. Gone so senslessly, and way too early. You're already missed mate.
    Canon EOS 60D ..... EFS 18-200mm f/3.5 - 5.6 IS - 430 EXII Speedlite - "eBay special" Remote Control Unit - Manfrotto 190XPROB w 804RC2 head.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Extremely sad to hear this kind of story.

having been into bikes myself at a young age and then my first job working as a courier for a few years before my accident has left me pretty much scarred badly too.

Too many accidents to count .. even on a Cray supercomputer, but I reckon I'm lucky coming out of it all with only 'a little' damage.

Partly, the problem when riding motorbikes is that it's hardly ever the cyclists fault ... we're just not seen!

It seems that at the moment of getting the right leg over the seat, your clothing turns invisible or something.

Anyhow, sincerest condolences to you and your friends ... a very sad day indeed.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Agree, a very sad day for you, your mate, his family, and all who knew Stewart.

Whilst it would seem that speed was not a factor here, I shake my head every time I am overtaken (when I am at the speed limit) on Tasmanian roads by motorcyclists. I don't think I have ever over-taken a motorcyclist in my life (if I can, I cannot recall it).

There is just not enough protection on a bike, whether the rider is at fault or not.

RIP Steward
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Condolences to Stewart's family, friends and yourself. Unfortunately, the joy of riding a motorcycle over-rides the danger which may also be a part of their appeal. At 19yo I survived being hit by a car turning right in front of me but my bike did not. I wish that Stewart had been as fortunate.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am very sorry to read about Stewart. My husband rides a bike and I did to as a young woman.We never gave danger a trhought. Have always worn the best safty equipment but as you say with something like this nothing can protect you.

RIP Stewart and condolences to your family and friends.
    Manfrotto 334B Automatic Monopod with Manfrotto 496RC2 Compact Ball head with RC2 Quick Release. Lowepro Bags (2) Joby SLR-Zoom Gorillapod.

Olympus Pen EP5 Olympus Zuiko 14-150mm f/4.0-5.6 Zoom Zuiko 14-42mm
    A huge wish list....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm very sorry to hear it. My sincere condolences. As a motorbike rider of 20+ years I know first hand how vulnerable you can be. Please be careful.
    Please don't hesitate to provide me with CC! I'd love to hear your thoughts regarding any of my images. Thanks!

Account Closed at member's request
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you really want to do your bit to help motorcyclists, take time to check your blind spots, concentrate while driving and don't use your mobile phone. There is a term used called SMIDSY. "sorry, mate, I didn't see you" it's what motorcyclists encounter when someone hasn't bothered to look properly before doing something like pulling out or changing lanes. I can spot the motorists not concentrating a mile away and I can often see that they are going to pull out before it happens. Unfortunately some of the newer motorcyclists don't have this experience.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My sympathy's are with you and the family,I have lost a brother, a friend of my brother, also a friend of mine,not to mention the numerous accidents that I have been involved in,the last one five years ago,breaking ribs,pulling collar bone from the joint also splitting the crash helmet,at the age of 64,so I realised it is too dangerous,and time to use only the car.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Again, my condolences and sympathy to you and the family involved. RIP Stewart

I too have been an avid motorcyclist for 20+yrs and seen too many things you never want to see, ever. I had a similar experience when a friend of mine hit a stobie pole in suburban Adelaide in the rain in 2007. Unfortunately even at the 50klms he was travelling was enough impact in the drivers door that he suffered severe brain trauma and passed away 4 weeks later.
    Make every day you best effort.
    Last edited by knumbnutz; 30-04-2012 at 11:17am.
    A Birth Certificate shows that we were born.
    A Death Certificate shows that we died.
    Pictures show that we lived!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/knumbnutz/
    http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/neilmorgan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    such a loss for one so young. I have had bikes (not now anymore) and have come off through no fault of my own and it certainly upsets you and those close to you. I have an old mate who crashed a couple of years ago ...had his wife on the back.....she didn`t get to go home either. So I can sympathesise.
    Graeme
    "May the good Lord look down and smile upon your face"......Norman Gunston___________________________________________________
    Nikon: D7000, D80, 12-24 f4, 17-55 f2.8, 18-135, 70-300VR, 35f2, SB 400, SB 600, TC-201 2x converter. Tamron: 90 macro 2.8 Kenko ext. tubes. Photoshop CS2.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Terrible to hear this sort of thing, and my heart goes out to the family of the rider.

I've lost a few friends on bikes.
    When I was getting my L plates, many years ago, there were no restrictions on the power of a bike that a L or P plater could ride, and 3 of my friends, coming from well-to-do families, got them each a Honda 750 (it had just come out then) as soon as they got their L plates.
    2 of them were dead within a week, and they hadn't even turned 17 yet.

My ex-assistant was an A grade motocross racer and had riden bikes since he could walk, and even with all of his expertise and experience, wouldn't ride a motorbike on the street - EVER!

I remember hearing an interview with a NSW Transport minister some years ago, and he said that if bikes didn't have the history behind them, that he would never allow them to be registered for road use.
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both my parents are riders, I got my bike L's but decided cars were for me.

But I always do have this concern when they're out riding or on their riding trips. Especially when there are a lot of times that there is no phone reception at their destinations.

May Stewart RIP.

Decided to "shave" my signature ;]
    Now mostly shoots with: Canon 5D MK3 & Canon 24-70 f/2.8/50mm f/1.8 (also have a 550D with a variety of lenses/goodies and a Sony Nex-5N)
    PP with: Lightroom only, Photoshop is merely a 9-5 work tool for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MissionMan View Post
    If you really want to do your bit to help motorcyclists, take time to check your blind spots, concentrate while driving and don't use your mobile phone. There is a term used called SMIDSY. "sorry, mate, I didn't see you" it's what motorcyclists encounter when someone hasn't bothered to look properly before doing something like pulling out or changing lanes. I can spot the motorists not concentrating a mile away and I can often see that they are going to pull out before it happens. Unfortunately some of the newer motorcyclists don't have this experience.
    +1
    1DIII, 5DII, 15mm fish, 24mm ts-e, 35L,135L,200L,400L,mpe-65mm
    Film: eos 300, pentax 6x7