User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  22
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feeling invaded (CISPA discussion)

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Feeling invaded (CISPA discussion)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CISPA

The Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act (CISPA) is a United States proposed law introduced on November 30, 2011 by U.S. Representative Michael Rogers (R-MI) and 111 co-sponsors.[1][2] It was passed in the House of Representatives on April 26, 2012.[3] Prior to the amendments offered during final passage of the bill that would address many Adminstration concerns, President Obama threatened to veto the bill.[4]

The law grants The American Government unlimited control over the whole world-wide web, even other countries since VeriSign and ICANN control the full IP range on The Internet. And this seeks to enforce any country accessing The Internet to submit to the will of The United States Government (refusal means having that countries IP addresses suspended or terminated)

Team America anyone?

Does this make anyone feel safer?
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought it had been toned down and moved away from esp as it is an election year......

Not happy Jan...
    Call me Roo......
    Nikon D300s, Nikon 35mm 1.8 DX, Nikkor 50mm 1.4 Af-S, Nikon 18-200mm VR, Nikon 70-200VRII 2.8, Sigma 105 Macro, Sigma 150-500mm f5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM, Tokina 12-24mm, Sb-600, D50, Nikon 1.7 T/C, Gitzo CF Monopod

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ignore it. Yanks think that their laws are global laws. And also don't worry about the internet being controlled by the US. Its not, unless you are trying to access US based websites. I'm old enough to remember the world before the internet....even before computers. Trust me...life was much less complicated and you could enjoy your own privacy.
    In the early 1960s we had the internet in the lounge room....it was called the Encyclopedia Britannica, and I'm here to tell you, it was much more detailed than any online version.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm just grateful to them for inventing computers and the internet.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NoSideshow View Post
    Ignore it. Yanks think that their laws are global laws. And also don't worry about the internet being controlled by the US. Its not, unless you are trying to access US based websites. I'm old enough to remember the world before the internet....even before computers. Trust me...life was much less complicated and you could enjoy your own privacy.
    In the early 1960s we had the internet in the lounge room....it was called the Encyclopedia Britannica, and I'm here to tell you, it was much more detailed than any online version.
    WOW..Just WOW. I sit here shaking my head!
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Limiting access to the internet is only going to eventually hurt businesses reliant on the net, and I'm sure there are more of these business models in the USA than anywhere else.

So their ability to choke the internet is going to ultimately cause their own economic downfall!

I'd be willing to call their bluff if I had the power too!

Here's a possible scenario.

Some Chinese scammers get found out by the US department for controlling the internet.
    Chinese government refuse to shut down access to this particular scammer/hacker network, possibly due to the fact that it's a government initiative to begin with.
    This US department of draconian totalitarianism decides to block China entirely from internet access and what happens to relations with their largest trading partner?

Great thinking 99.

Get rid of the internet entirely and start up a new one from scratch .... and let the yanks to their own devices in their own little connected world.

This is basically what's happened to the GPS system, where the Europeans planned their own sat navigation system to disassociate themselves from the vagaries of US security fears.
    Even tho the US defence forces haven't used SA in the GPS system for years, there's still no guarantee that they will again.. diluting the accuracy of the GPS network.

While the internet servers may be controlled by US services, the actual physical comms systems are not.
    Is there any reason a new network of servers can't run another concurrent network connection blocking access to US resources as a form of retaliation?
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Tech Admin
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NoSideshow View Post
    Sigh!

Some things that mean this law affects us directly:

• We are hosted in the USA (as are many sites)
    • The USA controls IP addresses - that affects EVERYONE
    • The USA controls the DNS - that affects EVERYONE

As for Encyclopaedia Britannica being more detailed than online resources ... for a start EB has its own online version that has more content than its book version, let alone another few million web sites.

Edit:
    We are currently having issues due to being wrongly blacklisted by M$ live/hotmail. Imagine being globally blocked?
    Last edited by Kym; 27-04-2012 at 5:32pm.

Tech Admin
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @AK InterWeb V2 is being built now ... http://www.internet2.edu/

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    (Anybody for a Flat Earth meeting?)
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I`m packing my bag and heading back into the cave......
    Graeme
    "May the good Lord look down and smile upon your face"......Norman Gunston___________________________________________________
    Nikon: D7000, D80, 12-24 f4, 17-55 f2.8, 18-135, 70-300VR, 35f2, SB 400, SB 600, TC-201 2x converter. Tamron: 90 macro 2.8 Kenko ext. tubes. Photoshop CS2.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Graeme, do you want my tin foil hat?

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recommend making your own tin foil hat - you never know whether a borrowed one has been tampered with. There are plenty of howto sites on the Internet... Oh, wait,,,
    Steve

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fenderstrat1963 View Post
    I recommend making your own tin foil hat -
    No way!!!!!

I just googled the company brand of tin aluminium ( NOTE, not aluminum ) foil that we have in the cupboard and it is made in China from Australian aluminium ore.

There is now way I am risking my heads protection to a company with only a two star ancap rating!!!!!!!

Thank god for good old Uncle Samuel, the net ( it wasn't available in the paper edition of the Encyclopaedia Britannica as the relevant pages appear to be stuck together with a dead cockroach ) and being able to access such valuable data, without it I may have been subjected to a damaging neutrino attack, grown two heads and been called a Tasmanian.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dunno if this Yank threat to access to the Internet is a real worry to me, and I don't really care about Encyclopedia Britannica
    If I need info on anything I'll just ask The Wife SHE KNOWS EVERY BLOODY THING.
    Cheers
    Darey

Nikon user, Thick skinned and wanting to improve, genuine C & C welcomed.

Photographs don't lie ! - Anonymous Liar

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darey View Post
    If I need info on anything I'll just ask The Wife SHE KNOWS EVERY BLOODY THING.
    Please ask her if tinfoil is linked to alzheimers or premature senility as my hat seems to be blocking reception from the wireless router.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I @ M View Post
    Please ask her if tinfoil is linked to alzheimers or premature senility as my hat seems to be blocking reception from the wireless router.
    Funny, mine is picking up everything, most of it is not in English. Even think I tuned into the under-wire bra of the old dear down the road.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I&M,
    I went to ask the missus but I forgot what to ask her before I got to her.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kym View Post

unlimited control over the whole world-wide web
    Holy crap. I had no idea things had advanced so quickly. Well, I better be off. I've got to time travel back to the 80s and save Sarah Connor.
    I'll be back.

p.s.
    I'll try to score some mint vinyl whilst I'm there.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I wonder what the implications of the US blocking a country's internet would be?

I wonder if they have seen what happened in the middle east in recent times (Egypt, Lybia, etc) and how the use of social media and mobile tech helped rally the public in those countries. Maybe the US sees that the next wars are going to be fought by the people, not by the governments and they are worried.

Oh and it would not all be about OIL would it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    I wonder what the implications of the US blocking a country's internet would be?
    Imagine all the kids out playing in the streets.

BTW - Encyclopedia Britannica is now only produced in digital form, no more paper versions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast