I am interested in getting a Panoramic camera. Been looking at a few options and still cannot decide if I should spend a lot of money or not.
Just a little background, I have a Cannon 550D which I brought with the twin lens pack. Since then I have created some panoramic photo with stitching through PS and other panoramic software. Unfortunately I am not satisfied with the results.
Some reasons why I don't like stitching:
1. It is very hard to take a panoramic photo at night, unless you turn up your ISO.. in which case I do not like..
2. While taking your frames, sometimes people can walk in and out.. which when stitched makes it hard. Yes this can be removed by photoshop, but I do not want to edit my photo as much.
3. With a digital camera, you only have the bulb option which means if you let go of the shutter button, the photo is saved.. Sometimes I want to open and close shutter to either get a different affect or avoid people running in and out.
4. Mainly also because I do not like alot of post processing on photos, therefore I want something which will allow me to take panoramic photo and just print it if possible.
With that being said, I have had a few good outcomes with stitching, but then when I saw this guy who did panoramic photos (He took photos for my wedding) I was just stunned.. amazed at how clear, and how clean the photo is.. Then there I saw it.. fotoman panoramic camera..
Which led me to this want of a panoramic camera. I understand having a film camera will be a challenge at first but I believe it will be rewarding.
So from my research I have found a few cameras/reviews... however I want some personal experience from people.. let me know how good or why I shouldnt get a particular camera.
The list from my preferences are:
1. Linhof Technorama 617 - $1795 (Body Only) ... I figured this is way too expensive.. but I researched and this is like one of the better camera, but the lens will cost me another 1.7k or so...
2. 617 Art Panorama Camera with Nikon SW 90mm f4.5 - $1.2k - I am definitely considering this one. Its really down my ally as it comes with lens and also some cokin filters.. and a ground glass and focus lupe.
3. Lomography Sprocket Rocket 35mm Panoramic Camera - roughly $100... its a cheaper option, it looks like a good starter on film camera... but I am sure once I have this for couple of month I might want to upgrade from it.
4. Gaoersi 617 SHIFT 6X17 Large Format CAMERA - $900 dollars.. that apparently only has the body no lens.. and i think it fits with a Nikkor lens 90mm .. which will again cost me another 1.2-1.6k for the lens.
There are other brand like holga and daiyi.. i think.. Either way from what I gather, all the body is basically just a black box which is light proof and allows the docking of lens and film. The lens is basically where the money is.. Some body also offer the shift option which allows you to shift your back 20mm up or down so you can get better view. This is apparent in the georsi and a more expensive model of linhof.
Most of these use the same film (120mm) and of 6x17 frame. I would love to hear your advise on this.. Also if you have any other options which I can take for example which lens I could buy on a digital camera which would give me a similar result. If possible I would go down the digital path for panoramic taking.. as I would not need to develop films. But from what I know there are not other options at the moment for digital except for stitching.. or if your rich enough to buy the following:
1. Seitz 6x17 digital.. 160mgpxl digital camera.. going around $35k in the US
2. getting the Giga camera then cropping the photo.. again expensive!
Just in case people are interested to find if there are digital panoramic camera out there!!!!
So yes please give me advise, tips, comments anything I can use!!! I am planning to buy it this weekend.. short notice I know =[