User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2

Thread: is it worth it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

is it worth it

aim trying to get a brand new canon 800mm lens but canon aus has told me about 3 months wait so
    i have seen one on digital rev so my question is is it worth buying from them they are a bit dearer that i have seen here i was thinking of the import duty which works about 1000+ has anyone else got a large lens for overseas
    and what did they have to do

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure about the local price, but B&H in New York have them in stock for US$13,899.00 + around $300 for shipping.

From reading the user reviews, it seems to get top marks and they are all in love with it.
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If you order through an AP advertiser. (Digital Rev and B&H are both site advertisers) please click through the link on AP and order. Doesn't cost you anymore, but AP gets commission, which all helps cover the costs of running the site etc.
    Last edited by ricktas; 26-04-2012 at 11:10pm.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Import duty is G.S.T..
    From Benny's post = $1390.
    If want it now, link to B&H though AP site sponsors so AP gets a little money back from you transaction!
    DigitalRev are also site sponsors, so if you go with them also link though AP.
    http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...te-Advertisers
    Last edited by Mark L; 26-04-2012 at 11:18pm. Reason: snap

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Note that GST may not apply at the actual purchase price. Customs has the right to determine what an item is worth. They have a large database and can compare the price paid, to their database. So if you buy something for $5K AUD, but on the customs database, the item is listed as RRP $6K AUD, they can charge you on that price.

However, I have found they are usually happy to just use the price noted on the item as the price paid.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks every one for your help and rick if i do order i will go thru the ap link

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Note that GST may not apply at the actual purchase price. Customs has the right to determine what an item is worth. They have a large database and can compare the price paid, to their database. So if you buy something for $5K AUD, but on the customs database, the item is listed as RRP $6K AUD, they can charge you on that price.

However, I have found they are usually happy to just use the price noted on the item as the price paid.
    And I thought bushranging was a thing of the past
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    And I thought bushranging was a thing of the past
    They do this to avoid the situation where an item worth say $10K is declared as being worth $1.5k (which happens). Customs can, at their discretion, reject the declared value and apply an Australian RPP price to the item.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DigitalRev claim "No additional cost" in their pricing and have a note on their front page that any duties are paid by them.....
    Also postage is included in their price for most items so it may at first look a bit more but could work out same if not cheaper by the time you add post etc from others.
    Last edited by CAP; 27-04-2012 at 10:00am.
    CC always welcome and appreciated.
    Tweaks welcome but please add how and why.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    They do this to avoid the situation where an item worth say $10K is declared as being worth $1.5k (which happens). Customs can, at their discretion, reject the declared value and apply an Australian RPP price to the item.
    I think this depends on who the seller is.
    Customs knows the sellers that are honest in their invoices and ones who purposely undervalue stuff.
    I remember getting a lens from a HK supplier, and having to go down to Customs to pick it up.
    When the package came out, the Customs lady said this seller was notorious for undervaluing their invoices, so I had to jump onto the internet to prove to her that the invoice price was the price I paid.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks guys i didn't go for the 800mm but i did order a 5d iii thru digital rev using the AP link
    CAP i gave DR a ring and they confirmed what you said thats why this lens was dearer as they already added the handling fees to it maybe a another time

Perpetually Bewildered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    Import duty is G.S.T..
    From Benny's post = $1390.
    OT, but just to clarify...

Import duty/tariff is not GST. Some items attract an import duty (typically 5%) which is additional to GST. Import duties don't apply to most general photographic gear.

GST is calculated on the whole cost of the transaction: item cost + shipping + insurance + import duty when applicable (yes a tax on a tax). Whilst GST payable on shipping generally won't be a lot (e.g. $30 in above case), the inclusion of shipping for calculation purposes can be significant. (e.g. item costing $750 with $300 shipping will be liable to GST).

[I ain't an accountant so if this is critical to you, seek professional tax advice.]

Cheers.
    Phil.

Some Nikon stuff. I shoot Mirrorless and Mirrorlessless.

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The other point to consider with top shelf items is who do you turn to for warranty is the product goes belly-up.
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

Fishy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Simply return it to the seller or his AGENT who might be in Aussie. There are a few repair places other than the brand names.
    Cheers Brian.

Canon 7D Kit lenses EFS 18-55 IS EFS 55-250 IS EF28-90 Canon EF 2xll Extender Sigma DG150-500 OS Speedlight 420EX. 580EX