Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  4
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beginner lens choices for Nikon D90

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The earlier f/2.5 version of the 90mm Tamron is a very well respected lens, but only has magnification ability (natively) of 1:2 .. ie. not true 1:1 macro.
    So your small objects won't fill the frame as well as a true 1:1 macro lens will.

It's still a great lens apparently. I don't know how good the AF version is, but I know that they are quite slow and clunky.
    The original 90mm f/2.8 version of the Tamron was screw driven on Nikon bodies, but the later model had a change of focusing drive to a lens mounted motorised system.
    (this was primarily for the cheaper AF-S only Nikon bodies, below the level of the D90/D7000).
    I have no idea if this new in lens af drive is better or worse than the original lens, but the original lens focuses well enough if a bit slow.
    Note that almost all AF macro lenses may not focus as fast as an equivalent non macro lens of similar type.
    Macro lenses tend to have 'more accurate' focus gearing, where the gearing requires more turns to move the lens elements the same distance. This is turn dictates af speed!

There are many features available to you on a D7000 compared to the likes of a D3200(cheaper end body) that you could use to advantage once you learn how to use them.

as an example: D7000's CLS capability, which simply means that you can use a Nikon(or even other brand) external flash remotely and wirelessly, whereas with the cheaper camera body, you'd have to invest in (sometimes clumsy) accessories to achieve the same result.
    In many macro situations, the ability to have flexible flash setup can mean getting the shot or not.
    Yeah you can use an external flash on the camera body .. but once you experience the Nikon wireless system, you may also love it. It just gives you options not otherwise available to you.

I would forego more megapixels for more 'real features' any day of the week in a camera body.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to everyone for contributing to this thread so far, have appreciated and read every post!

I'm starting to narrow down my choices to the below;

Nikon D7000
    Nikon 35mm f/1.8 DX
    Tamron 90mm f/2.8 macro

Would the 35mm be a good starting point for portraits / everyday street photography - everyday lens?

Apart from the Tamron is there any other options within a similar price range / eg a 50mm prime with some extension tubes that would be good for insect/flower macro photography? Or is the Tamron going to be the best option within the price range?

Thanks again

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want to do macros of insects, a 50mm lens with tubes means you are going to have to have the front of the lens virtually rubbing the insect.
    They won't hang around under those conditions, unless they are dead, so go for the 90mm Tamron.
    If you are going to do flowers with the 50 and a tube, you'll find it very difficult to get any light on it.
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

D750 Shines
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As Reflected above my beginners guide to save a few coin for latter acquisitions
    50mm f/1.8 Nikkor portraits
    Macro Tokina 100mm f/2.8
    an landscapes Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 as with these 3 disciples a sturdy Tripod and co would be a huge advantage
    Good luck

cheers

Nikon D750,D500,Z6,Coolpix P7700
    Nikkor 300mm f/4E PF ED VR, Nikkor 16-35mm f/4 VR, Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8, Tokina 100mm f/2.8, Tamron 60mm f/2 , Tamron SP 24-70mm f2.8 VC Di, Nikon Z 24-70mm f/4
    FTZ adapator
    Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For macro... I would also throw out two very fine mf lenses...
    Nikkor 105 f4 ai/s (1:1 with PN-11 tube)
    Nikkor 105 f2.8 ai/s

MF can be a challenge at first, but it does produce results...
    Cheryle

He is!
    ><>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am reading this with the same requirements.

Two questions come to mind

What does a macro lens offer - is it just the ability to focus closer to the front of the lens? if so can this be resolved by using macro tubes (which i have and can focus inside the lens).

@ Mary Anne - how close were you to the spider and other subjects in these macro's?

As for the 3200, I dont htink this camera will save in RAW, only jpg so it may not be the best solution.
    Mick

Nikon D600 & D80, 24-70 f2.8 Nikkor, 50mm f1.4 Sigma ,18-135 Nikkor, Kenko Extension Tubes, SB-700 and a few little bits and pieces

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @ Mary Anne - how close were you to the spider and other subjects in these macro's?
    The Spider was 29cms from my face and that image was cropped 100%
    With the close up flowers Mick most likely the Minimum Focus 29mm,.
    Bigger flowers or more than one flower no idea how far, I just move back till they fit into the frame the way I want them too.

I shoot with Olympus Cameras.. Sometimes Canon and My iPhone SE 2020

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are in a bit of a budget and you are just getting started, why don't you consider the D7000 and grab it bundled with a kit lens which will get you started. Then, maybe grab a 35 mm DX lens so you have the standard field of view and low light ability. Instead of a 50 mm f1.4 get the AFD f1.8 version which is almost as good and you can get them for <$100 used and under $200 new. You'd get these two lenses for under $300 and have a capable kit which would keep you busy for 12 months.

From there, you could wait until you get a clearer idea of what you want to do and buy the lenses in stages according to your preference whether it be macro, wide or tele.
    RodW
    Brisbane south side

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12