Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  3

Thread: Wet weather protection for 5D MK II

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wet weather protection for 5D MK II

Hello

Recently was lucky enough to have a few spare days while on business in Munich and Italy. Unfortunately, it rained every day apart from one, on which it snowed! As we were in Munich during the Easter period, nothing was open, so I had trouble trying to locate some wet weather protection for my camera. I know the camera is reasonably weather sealed and I am now fortunate to only own L lenses (yay!), but I am still paranoid about exposing my camera to water.

I made a dodgy rain cover from a plastic bag, but splashed on the front of the lens ruined a few photos. The dull, lifeless conditions did not help either, so I resorted to some HDR work to make the best of bad conditions.

I am now trying to find a decent weather cover for the camera, so that I am better prepared in the future. I have seen a few on websites, but would appreciate if anyone could share their experience with this particular body. I am using the following on the camera:

* Battery grip
    * 17-40
    * 24-105
    * 70-200 f4 (not the 2.8 - am not quite that lucky!!)

Thanks in advance.

Troy

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The cheapest - garbage bag (with appropriately cut holes) and rubber bands

There are several type of 'storm covers' available for cameras.

The other option is an umbrella.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might find the Think Tank Hydrophobia 70-200 Rain Cover to be suitable for your needs.

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/produc...ain-cover.aspx

I have one of these.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the suggestions..... The plastic bag/garbage bag worked, but was not very durable. I will take a look at the Think Tank, as I assume you must be happy with it?

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep the lens hood on to avoid drops on the lens - as this spoils the shots - and use an umbrella. Any other "protection" greatly hampers the handling of the camera. The 5D2 can handle "rain" as long as it does not get soaking wet and gets a wipe every so often. I had one (now have the Mark III ) and used it in wet weather and never had a problem. With the 24-105 there is no problem. Some other lenses may be more vulnerable to rain.
    But with the umbrella grip in the hand that grips the camera I manage to keep things reasonalby dry and ready to shoot.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The umbrella is the most sensible option, but was hard to handle if carrying a tripod as well. As the weather was dull, I was shooting bracketed shots for HDR, so trying to handle a camera, tripod and umbrella is a stretch. It is the best and cheapest protection. Regardless, we did not take an umbrella with us and did not manage to buy one until after the Easter break. An umbrella will travel with me now, but I would still like some weather protection on the camera itself.
    With the plastic bag, I screwed it on under the lens hood, which helped a little.