Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Upgrading my gear

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Upgrading my gear

Hi All,

With my interest in photography growing recently I think it is time to look at upgrading my gear. Back in 2005 I purchased my Canon 300D while working at Harvey Norman Computers. This was my first Digital SLR Camera and have served me well considering it replaced a Canon Point and Shoot Digital Camera. Looking around the market I still like canon and can use my existing lenses so I have done some research on the Canon 60D.

So my question is for those who have the 60D what was your previous camera and do you think going from the 300d to the 60D is a big jump. I consider myself a hobbyist but would like to some advice from owners of the Canon 60D or Similar.
    Ross Morgan
    Margate, Tasmania
    Equipment: Canon 60D, 18-55 IS, 100-300, Tamron 18-200
    Visit my photographic website now at http://www.rossmorgan.tk
    Now also on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/rossmorganphoto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have not owned a 60D but seems to have a great reputation. Flip out swivel screen and movies is leaps and bounds over the 300D. Generally, newer technology in electronics is becoming much more affordable compared to the early 90's so could possibly be a much better deal than your original 300D. Going from a xxxD to a xxD is a very conservative and reasonable upgrade. You will love it, I'm sure

Roy

5D MkIII gripped; EF 17-40 f/4L; EF 24-105 f/4L; EF 50 f/1.8; EF 135 f/2L; 580EXII; Manfrotto 055XPROB & 308RC ballhead; Computrekker Plus AW
    My Photobucket / My flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Ross & welcome to the forum.......you'll love it here !!!!

I started my DSLR experience (moving on from my Canon Powershot point & shoot) with the 450D which included the twin lens kit. I upgraded to the 60D body about 8 months later & I have to say it has been money well spent . I'm only a relative newbie and I still only have a limited knowledge of the teminology, but this camera has helped me capture some amazing shots (well I think they are lol). In my humble opinion, you definitely won't regret adding the 60D to your kit.......I haven't
    I choose to capture my images with bodies
    I share my love using Canon & Sigma
    ** SUE **

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a newbie who went from a PowerShot G5 to the 60D. The broad types of functionality (and the swivel screen) were similar - I didn't find it mechanically to be a big stretch to learn. I have a loooong way to go on what it can do photographically though.

It's comfortable and easy to hold and I've been able to customise controls to do things the way I like so I think you'll love it. Have you had a play with one in a store yet?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZtj1o9oy4c&feature Watch the video. this applies to most things not just the product mentioned. Go with your heart and mind . you only live once !
    Waiting on a train

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went from a 400D to a 60D. The difference is amazing. ISO capabilities without being grainy will amaze you. The swivel screen is the best for self portraits and when you have to shoot from high or low angles.

I liked this about your photo.......To improve on it you could........Well done and keep posting

http://www.flickr.com/photos/roshoto/

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fenderstrat1963 View Post
    It's comfortable and easy to hold and I've been able to customise controls to do things the way I like so I think you'll love it. Have you had a play with one in a store yet?
    Good advise. If it feels good in your hands, and your budget is like mine, then it's a good camera.
    There's no point coveting something you can't have.
    I'm happy with mine.
    Lens are another story now.
    "Enjoy what you can do rather than being frustrated at what you can't." bobt
    Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 28-105, Sigma 150-600S.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 60D was my 2nd DSLR. I think it is a great camera to upgrade too. It has a fair few more capabilities than the entry level DSLR. Many that have now taught me alot, and aloud me to spend money on better lenses. Its not so much about the camera. I have added a grip to my 60D. Its a great step up and will allow you to get more from your photography. It has come down in price too so it may not be a huge budget burner! I have kept the 400D as a backup camera, as it is handy having another camera ready to go.
    Hayden

Canon Collector
    My Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not a Canon shooter, but from all reports the 60D is a beaut camera, and a good choice as you already have some Canon gear. Go for it - I'm sure you'll love it.

Please don't hesitate to provide me with CC! I'd love to hear your thoughts regarding any of my images. Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first digital SLR was a Canon D60, whcih was bought in the early noughties.
    A whole 8pmx, and the photos were pretty good. The screen on the back is the size of a postage stamp!
    I then bought a Pentax K-x, but couldn't find the types of lenses and accessories I needed, so I bought a 60D, mainly because of the swivel screen as I do a lot of tripod work (product shots and macro) where the screen has been invaluable.

The 60D takes great shots and is easy to use.

I went out last night with one my brother-in-laws to shoot some shots of Sydney Harour, and he has a 40D.
    Taking the same shot, using the same lens, the difference in quality was quite marked.
    Even he was suprised at how much more detail there is in the newer sensor of the 60D compared ot his 40D.

I think the 60D is great value for money and a great camera in its own right.

Having said that, I am saving up for a 5D3 right now though, but I will keep the 60D as a second body.
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Benny : A whole 8pmx !!

Thats all I shoot with Mind you the 30D is starting to limit me

The 60D is a good camera, My personal hate, And why I would'nt buy one , Is cause they have a plastic body, The older cameras and the 5D's have magnesium alloy bodies , But thats just my thought , Go for a 5DMkII
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He bought the 60D the day after posting.

Ross, how are you finding it?