Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  32
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Change to next week's Photo of the Week theme

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Change to next week's Photo of the Week theme

The mods and I have been reading and discussing a couple of threads on the site

This one about 'cheating' in competitions and this one about whether competitions are good or not

We have decided to give you the chance to show us, and the other members what you have been talking about.
    So the theme for the POTW that will open this Sunday evening for entries (22nd April 2012), will be changed
    and related to your posts and comments in these threads.

The Photo of the Week theme will be
    Photographic 'Cheating' : A composite of two or more photos

Looking forward to seeing what everyone comes up with, for this one
    Last edited by ricktas; 20-04-2012 at 4:07pm.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL.................the masses have spoken..........will they like the outcome
    This will be interesting indeed.
    Cheers and Happy Shooting
    Cindy

Canon 7D, 50mm, 100mm Macro
    Olympus E-30, 9-18mm, 14-54mm, 50-200mm
    Photoshop CS5

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started reading this and I thought that the basis of the idea was that a member would load two images. One virtually straight from the camera, and the same image stacked full of all the software tricks that one could muster to try and win the comp.

But on reflection, it would be hard to police. I have never tried a composite image, apart from a panoramic. So this maybe a chance to start.
    Last edited by geoffsta; 20-04-2012 at 6:17pm.
    Geoff
    Honesty is best policy.
    CC is always welcome
    Nikon D3000 ... Nikon D90... Nikon D700 Various lenses, Home studio equipment and all the associated stuff
    Flickr

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffsta View Post
    I have never tried a composite image, apart from a panoramic. So this maybe a chance to start.
    I'm with you Geoff.
    I might cheat and enter an image that may look like a composite of images!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry.....but being new I need to ask.....

What is a composite image? Or are you required to load 2 separate photos - raw no pp, then pp shot? Is composite 2 or more images made into one?

Pentax K-r
    Da 15mm & 70mm Ltds, Fa 35mm f2, F 50mm f1.7
    Da*200mm, Tamron 90mm Macro, Sigma 28-105 f2.8

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    A composite photo is one single photo that is made up by merging/blending 2 or more photos into one.

For example taking the sky from one photo and adding it to a second scene. Or taking people from one photo and placing them on an entirely different background, etc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm trying to find the thread that will tell me how to enter competitions... can you help me out?
    I welcome comments and critique. Say it like it is.. I'll appreciate your input. Suggestions on how to improve are always very welcome.

You are free to edit my images as long as the results are posted in the thread you took the image from and nowhere else.

www.facebook.com/teacophotography
    www.teacophotography.com.au

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was thinking about entering a composite, but post-comp posting the original and those it also included. Maybe a generic thread where anyone could post similarly after the final vote?
    Teaco: towards the top of any page is a Competitions link. This will show for example as "Competitions 2,1" where 2=number of open comps you can enter, and 1=number you can still vote on. Click that link and it'll show them all. At the top is the main entry area. Click the radio button for which comp to enter, then an optional title below, a filename box (with Browse button), and below it an 'Upload' button. This comp isn't open yet, so try in a couple days. (I think it's Sunday from memory that comps open?)

A. P's Culinary Indiscriminant mongo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by teaco View Post
    I'm trying to find the thread that will tell me how to enter competitions... can you help me out?

Teaco, if you go to the home page (although it also appears on other pages as well) you will see a list of forums and activities along the very top line of the page. Go to the very top left and you will see "home" as one of these options. Two spots to the right of "home" you will see "competitions". Click on that and follow the rest.

However, Mongo notes you are a very newish member and he is not certain whether you are not seeing the "competition" option because you may not be yet eligible to enter until you have been a member for a loner period ?????
    Nikon and Pentax user

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mongo also cannot find where to enter this particular comp ???

Sorry all - just realised it will not be available until tomorrow night !
    Last edited by mongo; 21-04-2012 at 10:13am.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have a look after this weeks comp is complete. Starts Sunday 22nd 8:30pm>

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everything your need to know about comps...

http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...on_Information
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thank you all for the info.

keen learner of new tricks.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    challenge time alright. have to learn how to merge two different pics.......Photoshop and youtube will be my friends....
    Graeme
    "May the good Lord look down and smile upon your face"......Norman Gunston___________________________________________________
    Nikon: D7000, D80, 12-24 f4, 17-55 f2.8, 18-135, 70-300VR, 35f2, SB 400, SB 600, TC-201 2x converter. Tamron: 90 macro 2.8 Kenko ext. tubes. Photoshop CS2.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm... this is an interesting topic for competition. Stretching the limits a fair bit and venturing more into editing/compositing/digital painting/extensive touch-up kind of territory... time to put the thinking hat on!

Edit to add>> I should also ask - are we 'cheating' with the goal of trying to hide the fact that we're cheating (ie., creating a realistic image) or is the idea to go all-out and make something that is just plain impressive?
    Last edited by mugget; 21-04-2012 at 2:54pm.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is a very good subject for a comp. However, Mongo has the following reservations/questions:-

how will any viewer know what elements have been joined and thus able to judge how good each entry is ???? that is, how good the end result is compared to the 2 or more images were used in the first place ?? Sure, each entry will be judged by what people see and like but that would be the case for any normal contest (subject to fitting into the rules of that comp). They still may have no idea that may help them decide the earlier question Mongo posed.

It would be nice to see the several images used. It would also be nice to see them with the finished product at the time of posting for judging. However, understandably, this may make the competition too complicated to run.

Can we please not have irate or defensive responses to what Mongo has just raised - it is just something to think about and maybe refine if it is felt there is a need to do so.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How will any viewer know what elements have been joined and thus able to judge how good each entry is ?
    Good Point Mongo. !!!
    My 52/2011 Challenge

I shoot with Canon And Olympus Cameras

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Given the 'final product' is being judged it really does not matter how it was constructed.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kym View Post
    Given the 'final product' is being judged it really does not matter how it was constructed.
    I agree with mongo. Yes it's the end product that we judge. But like a Maths exam, the teacher likes to see the process that went into getting the end result. Without it, the student fails.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kym View Post
    Kym, Mongo does not disagree - at least in part, as he has already acknowledged in his earlier post. This is a very interesting and desirable comp theme that you have come up with and Mongo is all for it. However, there are differences with this comp. In most comps we have a theme and we are judged by how well we meet the theme AND how good the final product looks and appeals.

In the intended comp., we must first of all make sure we meet the theme and get the best looking and appealing image. However, how well we meet the theme can only best be judged by the "before and after" images in Mongo's opinion. To give a quick example, anyone could meet the theme and maybe win it by posting a fantastic single image with only a pebble from a second or subsequent image blended into it. In Mongo's view, this would not meet the true spirit of the comp. and the winner in that case would really be winning on the strength of essentially the fantastic single image for all intents and purposes rather than what might be considered a true and substantial composite.

One of the ways around this is to have a rule that the final image cannot be composed of more than, say, 60 percent of one of the original used (cropping not included) OR must be a "substantial" composite OR some other type of definition(s) to better define what we are looking at at the time we view and judge the entries. It is tricky defining this and finding the right balance. Defining it too far may also have negative effects.

Sorry that Mongo has no answers about this - only some suggestions for consideration.
    Last edited by mongo; 21-04-2012 at 7:25pm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast