Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  15
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Nikon upgrade dilemma

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the images Lance..very nice mate ...when you say the IQ drops off as the distance to the subject increases ..is that the same for the 1.4tc..or where you referring to both TC
    Cheers and my name is Steve

OMD Em1...Now with two lenses !

http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_tompsett/
    http://tommo.smugmug.com/

Who let the rabble in?
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommo1965 View Post
    thanks for the images Lance..very nice mate ...when you say the IQ drops off as the distance to the subject increases ..is that the same for the 1.4tc..or where you referring to both TC
    Thank you for your kind comment, Steve.

It happens with both, but because the 1.4x TCII has very little impact on IQ anyway, the drop off in IQ at distance is less as well. It's not a big deal and you'd be hard pressed seing any issue.

If you are shooting soccer or some sort of field sports, then you won't be disappointed. I have used it for this and it works very well. The main ting with this sort of thing is to maintain a fast shutter speed to stop blur and that may require cranking up the ISO and the D700 has such good high ISO capabilities that this won't be an issue, especially if you use a good post process noise reduction program like Noiseware Professional (which I use).
    Last edited by Lance B; 19-07-2012 at 3:37pm.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    funny you should mention High ISO..as last week was the first time I used the auto ISO to keep the shutter speed to 1/1000....crikey it was good...I don't think it went past ISO 1600 but certainly saved me a few times as the clouds where rolling by....

I shoot weekend Footy for my sons team..trouble is the ovals are so damn big..the centre Tap is miles away....soccer would be a breeze in comparison as the pitches are lot smaller...

I think in a ideal world a D300 with a 300F4 for the centre Tap and the d700 with the 70-200 for everything nearer me..Ill see if I can pick up a 1.4 at reasonable cost ..if it don't work out Ill should be able to recoup me loss..
    Last edited by Tommo1965; 19-07-2012 at 4:38pm.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueywa View Post
    I thought I had an 'as new' D700 on fleabay only (11,200 activations) but someone with no idea what the new ones are selling for beat me and paid toooo much for it.
    Patience will pay off Im sure, ha-ha ha.
    Enjoy yours Steve.

not sure if you sorted a D700 yet..but I noticed that team digital on lord street east Perth have a D700 with grip for a good price..aint got a clue what its like though...but worth a look Id say

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just got a D800 and am going to sell the D700 and grip and spare batt on ebags soon.

The D700 is one grouse camera, you cant go wrong with it, it does everything well, - flash system, AF, tracking, fps is ok, high iso etc.

I hope the D800 lives up to expectations !
    A Birth Certificate shows that we were born.
    A Death Certificate shows that we died.
    Pictures show that we lived!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/knumbnutz/
    http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/neilmorgan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reading this with envy.. have a D300s, love it to bits but feel its time to move onto FF. Love to get a D700 (have friends with them and used one, thats enough for me).
    Seen a few on Gumtree, personally they had been treated not so good, put my cam on GT with a 24-70 Sigma.. not even a bite for $1,700.
    Darn they make it hard to upgrade (wife will kill me if I sell a Kidney). Very mouth-watering though to get a D700 (maybe I shouldnt have read this thread LOL
    Cheers

Wazza
    ---------------------

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got $900 odd for my mint D300s on ebay..they are still selling for $800 or so....the siggy will see around $300-400 if its the older F2.8

so all up around $1200 to $1300 for the lot...

having said that, used D700 have dropped too..the one here in Perth at a retail outlet comes with a Nikon grip too..all for $1490...but I haven't seen it so it could be crap http://www.teamdigital.com.au/blog/pre-loved-equipment/

low shutter bodies on ebay are selling for around $1600

but yes I do understand the dilemma..used camera gear by nature is a losing circle of grief

the benefits of the d700 are more headroom in the ISO area...but in good light and low ISO.. there's not much between them...
    Last edited by Tommo1965; 08-08-2012 at 12:50am.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Picked up the final piece of my missing jigsaw today..a nikon
    24-70 f2.8....cash in my pockets don't last long !

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Picked up the final piece of my missing jigsaw today..a nikon
    24-70 f2.8....cash in my pockets don't last long !
    I feel for you mate, I really do.

The anguish and heartbreak in your post really tears at my heart.

Now stop posting wordy drivelly stuff on here and produce some bluddy pictures with the new gear FCS.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cheers Andrew..its painful but inevitable...got some cash from a PJ on Friday..gone by Saturday LMAO

I've a shoot with three other Togs in a couple of weeks in Perth ...we are hiring a studio and around 8 models MUA and HS will be available throughout the day ...to be honest Im crapping me pants a tad...but once into the breach we venture yet again ...hopefully Ill do the others, myself and my gear justice...Ill post up some pictures when the dust settles....any advice for a total studio newb mate

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    any advice for a total studio newb mate
    Wear very absorbent underwear.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yep had that one already..plus a box of tissues for me tears ...

lets face whats the worse that can happen..Ill waste my time..everyone elses..quite a bit of money..plus thousands in gear I cant use...all in all...no pressure

nah..she'll right mate ...{false bravado now}

EDIT

just had a thought..perhaps I can film it like a episode of Photo finish....watch the big man break at the end ..should be good viewing ....LMAO
    Last edited by Tommo1965; 11-08-2012 at 8:25pm.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123