User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Blackrapid FastenR-T1 Dimensions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Blackrapid FastenR-T1 Dimensions

I'm after the dimensions of the Blackrapid FastenR-T1 (FR-T1) to see if it will be suitable for use with my (non manfroto) tripod quick-release plate.

I'd like to know:
    A. Shank length (the distance between the base of the head and the start of the thread).
    B. Head height (how "tall" is the head).

Here is a very basic diagram of the 2 measurements I am after.

I'm hoping someone has one of these and a vernier caliper or accurate ruler who can help me.

Thanks, JP.

Account Closed at member's request
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jp2k5 View Post
    I'm after the dimensions of the Blackrapid FastenR-T1 (FR-T1) to see if it will be suitable for use with my (non manfroto) tripod quick-release plate.

I'd like to know:
    A. Shank length (the distance between the base of the head and the start of the thread).
    B. Head height (how "tall" is the head).

Here is a very basic diagram of the 2 measurements I am after.

I'm hoping someone has one of these and a vernier caliper or accurate ruler who can help me.

Thanks, JP.
    I just bought one today to attach to an arca swiss clamp for an R7 strap. I'll see if I can get the measurements but I don't think I have an accurate ruler, only one of those school rulers.

Unfortunately I don't have the arca swiss clamps yet, I bought them off ebay but I can try remove the one I have off my ball head when I get home. Are you trying to work out whether it will attach securely to an arca swiss clamp?
    Last edited by MissionMan; 19-04-2012 at 1:11pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It doesn't fit the base plate that came with my Benro tripod, but I got another style of arcaswiss plate from Peak Designs in the US for about $25 that works very well with the black Rapid/Quick Rapid straps & the Benro (and the Peak Designs system that lets me attach the camera to my backpack for Bushwalking)

Peak Designs now seem to be sold by B&H.

The Quick Rapid strap is almost identical to the Black Rapid and the 3 I bought for my kids at Christmas cost $13.95 each postage included.
    Last edited by Boo53; 19-04-2012 at 1:13pm.

Account Closed at member's request
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found some dimensions on a forum on the web. Can't post the link as I don't have enough posts yet but this is what they had to say. That said, if you do want to mount an Arca Swiss plate, all indications on the web are that you don't attach the R-T1 to a plate, you attach it to an adapter/clamp that stays permanently on your blackrapid strap and then leave your current plate on your camera. I apologise in advance for not posting to link to the original image but I can't post URL's. If you do a search for blackrapid arca swiss in google and then select images you'll get a link to a couple of articles that tell you how to do it.

*removed. do not post photos that you do not own copyright to, on AP*

Here are the dimensions though:

Great images and info, thanks. Note the emphasis I added to your post.

The problem is that the new fastener has a 'spacer' on it that makes it so that the bolt doesn't seat in far enough into that counter-bore that you call out. Therefore, the nice, slick nickel plating is in direct contact with the tripod receiver and allows the plate to slide even after the lock lever(s) are snapped into place.

If you take a measurement of the bolt head on the original fastener of the 488RC2 plate there, you'll find that it's .196in (5mm) high. When the bolt is seated into that counter-bore, the distance from the surface of the plate to the top of the bolt head is .157in (4mm). This leaves, roughly, .028in (.711mm) of clearance between the bolt head and the tripod receiver if the overall depth of main the cutout is .182in (4.66mm)

On the T1 fastener, the bolt head is ALSO .196in (5mm) high, but there is an additional 'spacer' on top of that [seen in the op image] that is another .039in (1mm) high and it's this spacer that slips into the counter-bore. This leaves the entire .196in (5mm) height of the bolt head sticking above the plane of the qr plate's surface.

If you then factor in that the main cutout under that plate is .182in (4.6mm), you have .014in (.355mm) of the T1 fastener extending past the cutout and giving "slip" to the whole unit when it's mounted. .014in (.355mm) is a very minute amount, but when compressing a nickel plated surface down onto another, hard surface like this it's enough to cause slippage.
    Last edited by ricktas; 19-04-2012 at 7:04pm.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a fairly cheap/generic tripod and its quick-release place is very similar to the Manfrotto design. Looking at it, I think it will be OK, but just want to make sure with some measurements before I proceed with the purcahse.

Regarding the Quick Strap vs BlackRapid strap, I have been pondering for a few days as to which way to go. I'll leave that decision/discussion for another thread.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For all those interested, I found this picture on the Japanese BlackRaid site. Maybe they should put it on the US site.....

*removed - do not post photos you do not own copyright to, on AP *

Thanks all for your help.
    Last edited by ricktas; 19-04-2012 at 7:05pm.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I took delivery of the FastenR-T1 last night and went to install it on the QR plate of my Optex OPM1093G.
    All I had to do was remove the old screw, drill the hole out slightly to accommodate the T1 and it all went together and works perfectly.

P.S. if anyone needs to reference the dimension which were on the photo that was deleted in the above post, just seach the Japanses BlackRapid site.