User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  7
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Just got my D800 - Image heavy to show off high ISO and crops etc.

Who let the rabble in?
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffsta View Post
    Not a good advertisement for the D800. If it was that good, a quick sharpen, noise reduction, maybe the crop, then saved as a JPG, and they should have been all done.
    All which can be done in NX2 I think.
    I can't stand the user interface of Capture NX2. I use Capture One Pro for ease of workflow and the fact it has so many useful adjustments.

The thing is, there were 100 images to go through. As Capture One Pro doesn't recognise the RAW files of the D800 yet, I needed to open them up in NX2 first, then save them as 16bit TIFFS and then I could open them up as TIFFs in Capture One. Once in Capture One, I adjusted saturation, WB, highlights/shadows and sometimes colour balance if required, then saved back to TIFF like I would normally do from a RAW file.

I then open up in Photoshop as this is where my noise reduction program is a plug in as well as my sharpening plug in. In Photoshop, I use noise reduction and reduce to web size, sharpen and then save as jpeg.

You have to remember that apart from the step of converting the RAW's to 16bit TIFF so I can open them up in Capture One, everything else I do is the same for all my work and so it would have taken me almost as long.

Also, when I say it took 4 hours, I did a few other things in between, like have dinner.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lance B View Post

The thing is, there were 100 images to go through. As Capture One Pro doesn't recognise the RAW files of the D800 yet, I needed to open them up in NX2 first, then save them as 16bit TIFFS and then I could open them up as TIFFs in Capture One. Once in Capture One, I adjusted saturation, WB, highlights/shadows and sometimes colour balance if required, then saved back to TIFF like I would normally do from a RAW file ......
    Lance, you don't need a sledgehammer to drive a nail into an architrave ...

Instead of CNX2, use VNX2 .. same thing(processes, and processing ability), much more simple user interface.

If you only want simple editing even from CaptureNX2, you don't need to delve into the 'interface' at all.

Simple WB exposure, noise corrections are handled only from the (RHS) [Develop] set of tools there is the 'Camera Settings' and 'Quick Fix' tools set.

And you reckon these simple tools are hard to get used to in terms of interface??

Compared to all other editors these are the easy bits to adjust for, and convert to tiff.

CNX can be harder to get your head around if you want more detailed editing features such as brushing in edits or cloning.

I think you've used the wrong workflow process to achieve your desired goal.

A more simplified approach to your current dilemma:

Open ViewNX2.
    Choose each image you want to convert to tiff.
    Press convert button at the top of the page in the toolbar.(it's a simple toolbar menu items .. literally called convert files!)
    100 images should convert to tiffs in about 2 or 3 mins, on a reasonably modern computer .... but that is for 20Mb D300 files .. a set of 50Mb D800 file may take longer.

Using this method, you have your 100 tiff images to edit in Capture One before dinner.

Note too: as you use a Nikon program to view and edit NEF files, you need to be aware that all in camera processing on the raw file is upheld on the image you view on the PC .. which is completely opposite to all other raw editors.
    If you have sharpening turned on in camera still(as it is by default), you;re best advised to turn it off(zero it out, if you haven't).

Note too that even if you have NR reduction turned completely off in camera, it's still enabled in the Nikon software version of the raw file.
    Funnily(in my brief testing of D800 files) Nikon's in camera NR routine, is about spot on. You lose no detail in the detailed bits, and chroma noise in the non detailed bits(ie. the blur) is nicely controlled.

I wouldn't use CNX2 to convert raw files to tiff.
    In fact I barely use it for anything other than major editing.
    All my WB, exposure adjustments, and file ratings and keywording are done in VNX2.
    It's only when I want detailed specific editing of parts of an image is when CNX2 comes out.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

D750 Shines
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems like a marriage made in heaven.Oozing with Mega mega pixels with a brilliant camera to handle anything thrown at it.
    All is needed now is 5-10 Terabytes of storage and with your 500mm f/4 it wont be too long before another is needed.
    Congrats , I will make do with my D300/300s for a long time yet

cheers

Nikon D750,D500,Z6,Coolpix P7700
    Nikkor 300mm f/4E PF ED VR, Nikkor 16-35mm f/4 VR, Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8, Tokina 100mm f/2.8, Tamron 60mm f/2 , Tamron SP 24-70mm f2.8 VC Di, Nikon Z 24-70mm f/4
    FTZ adapator
    Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lance B
    As Capture One Pro doesn't recognise the RAW files of the D800 yet
    Does the D800 have a different format for the "NEF" file? I would have thought it would be no different to any other Nikon format, only a few extra bytes.?
    Last edited by geoffsta; 20-04-2012 at 6:49am.
    Geoff
    Honesty is best policy.
    CC is always welcome
    Nikon D3000 ... Nikon D90... Nikon D700 Various lenses, Home studio equipment and all the associated stuff
    Flickr

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All new Nikon DSLR's(and I suspect any compacts with raw format) have a very slight difference in the raw file from previous NEF formats.

If you are skilled with a hex editor, you can fool other software into thinking that a newer NEF is just a previous type NEF, but this is not guaranteed to work all the time.

That is, you alter the camera type bit info within the raw file itself with the hex editor, say D800 to D700 and the file will open.

Nikon software is the same, each time there is a new camera model released, a new version of Nikon's software is also released, to update the programs ability to handle these new raw files.

A. P's Culinary Indiscriminant
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    congrats Lance. Its looking pretty good. Mongo checked a couple of days ago and he is about 30 on a list of 120 waiting for one and they are only getting in about 4 a week - do the maths about when Mongo is likely to get one.

In the interim, would love to have seen some samples without noise reduction to see a true comparison and what can be expected of this new beast.

If Mongo bumps you in the park, he would love to try his 200-400VR lens on it for a couple of minutes just to test the AF speed on that body. The D200 has been very stretched to perform with any reasonable speed for this lens and quite a deal of focus hunting. It would be nice to know the D800 will bring out the lens' true potential when Mongo finally gets his copy.
    Nikon and Pentax user

Who let the rabble in?
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    Lance, you don't need a sledgehammer to drive a nail into an architrave ...

Instead of CNX2, use VNX2 .. same thing(processes, and processing ability), much more simple user interface.

If you only want simple editing even from CaptureNX2, you don't need to delve into the 'interface' at all.

Simple WB exposure, noise corrections are handled only from the (RHS) [Develop] set of tools there is the 'Camera Settings' and 'Quick Fix' tools set.

And you reckon these simple tools are hard to get used to in terms of interface??
    I have had NX2 for all of about 2 days and I have never used it before and I only got it so as I could convert the files to TIFF so as I could use a more familiar post processor, not realising this could have been achieved in View NX2.

Compared to all other editors these are the easy bits to adjust for, and convert to tiff.
    Well, that's an opinion. I like what I use now, Capture One Pro as I find this the easiest by far and I get the results I desire. I am not about to start learning a new software that I am not likely to use in the future. However, if that day comes, then I will crosss that bridge when I come to it, just not now.

CNX can be harder to get your head around if you want more detailed editing features such as brushing in edits or cloning.

I think you've used the wrong workflow process to achieve your desired goal.

A more simplified approach to your current dilemma:

Open ViewNX2.
    Choose each image you want to convert to tiff.
    Press convert button at the top of the page in the toolbar.(it's a simple toolbar menu items .. literally called convert files!)
    100 images should convert to tiffs in about 2 or 3 mins, on a reasonably modern computer .... but that is for 20Mb D300 files .. a set of 50Mb D800 file may take longer.

Using this method, you have your 100 tiff images to edit in Capture One before dinner.
    There is a similar tool in CNX2, but for some reason, I ended up with many of the files unreadable for whatever reason, so I did them one by one to make sure and they then worked. It may have just been a glitch at the time, but that is irrelevent as it happened and this is what caused all the time consuming. As I said, I didn't realise VNX2 could do these simple adjustments and do a conversion to TIFF.

Note too: as you use a Nikon program to view and edit NEF files, you need to be aware that all in camera processing on the raw file is upheld on the image you view on the PC .. which is completely opposite to all other raw editors.
    If you have sharpening turned on in camera still(as it is by default), you;re best advised to turn it off(zero it out, if you haven't).
    Yes, I did know this, as it is the same system with Pentax converters when I used Pentax cameras.

Note too that even if you have NR reduction turned completely off in camera, it's still enabled in the Nikon software version of the raw file.
    Funnily(in my brief testing of D800 files) Nikon's in camera NR routine, is about spot on. You lose no detail in the detailed bits, and chroma noise in the non detailed bits(ie. the blur) is nicely controlled.

I wouldn't use CNX2 to convert raw files to tiff.
    In fact I barely use it for anything other than major editing.
    All my WB, exposure adjustments, and file ratings and keywording are done in VNX2.
    It's only when I want detailed specific editing of parts of an image is when CNX2 comes out.
    Thank you for your tips about using VNX2 to convert to TIFFs, I will try this in future as I didn't realise it could do all these functions.

Who let the rabble in?
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cupic View Post
    It seems like a marriage made in heaven.Oozing with Mega mega pixels with a brilliant camera to handle anything thrown at it.
    All is needed now is 5-10 Terabytes of storage and with your 500mm f/4 it wont be too long before another is needed.
    Congrats , I will make do with my D300/300s for a long time yet

cheers
    Thank you for your kind comments, cupic!

Who let the rabble in?
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mongo View Post
    congrats Lance. Its looking pretty good. Mongo checked a couple of days ago and he is about 30 on a list of 120 waiting for one and they are only getting in about 4 a week - do the maths about when Mongo is likely to get one.

In the interim, would love to have seen some samples without noise reduction to see a true comparison and what can be expected of this new beast.

If Mongo bumps you in the park, he would love to try his 200-400VR lens on it for a couple of minutes just to test the AF speed on that body. The D200 has been very stretched to perform with any reasonable speed for this lens and quite a deal of focus hunting. It would be nice to know the D800 will bring out the lens' true potential when Mongo finally gets his copy.
    Thank you for your kind comments, Mongo.

See my PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Lance for these first pics : they look convincing for me.

I've just picked up mine today. I'll try to do some night shots tonight after work...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <Begin Rant> Sigh. Seems like I am going to have to wait until after the weekend for mine to arrive, so you guys can have fun over the weekend . Very annoyed at my source, I will say that much (normally I am tolerant, but when for no particular reason you delay sending it and the result is a over weekend shipping - that bugs me). So now I will be going to a perfect location to test out the camera with a range of wildlife (including king parrots sniff) and landscape photographs on offer...without the camera I was looking forward to testing (and this is annoying as atm I am working nearly every weekend, but this one am going somewhere ). As per usual I will have my camera in the middle of the week but be unable to take any damn pictures with it for days because my work schedule at the moment starts before the sun rises and finishes after the damn thing sets. 2 pet peeves - Winter and Weekends for shipped goods. <End Rant>. At least I will have it long enough to work out how to operate it prior to the US though...unlike the droves of people still sitting on lists.
    Last edited by Xebadir; 20-04-2012 at 6:16pm.
    John
    Nikon D800, D700, Nikkor 14-24 F2.8, 24-70mm F2.8, 50mm F1.8D, 70-200mm F2.8 VRII, Manfrotto 190XB with Q5 PM Head,
    SB-900,600, portable strobist setup & Editing on an Alienware M14x with LR4 and CS5 and a Samsung XL2370 Monitor.

Stormchasing isn't a hobby...its an obsession.
    For my gallery and photography: www.emanatephotography.com

Who let the rabble in?
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sar NOP View Post
    Thanks Lance for these first pics : they look convincing for me.

I've just picked up mine today. I'll try to do some night shots tonight after work...
    Congrats, mate. Great to hear! I look forward to seeing your results, too.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Howdi Lance.
    Great pics for an Aussie, lol.
    NX2, has its place. Give it some time to gel. Rumours are NX3 has Nik filters built in. Don't know how true it is but.
    I use NX2 with VNX, Photoshop with bridge and Aperture. I used Capture One for a bit and it is a great software but I have too many as it is.

Cheers

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even with NR the detail in these is pretty impressive.

Regarding the green LCD, Nikon are saying this is actually more accurate than previous bodies, not a defect

http://nikonrumors.com/2012/04/21/ni...-d3sd700.aspx/

Thanks for your work here Lance. Jolly NAS is kicking in again

Cheers
    Leigh
    Last edited by TEITZY; 26-04-2012 at 9:38pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought this was a funny reply from what I read at rumors regarding the D800, mainly the phone call..

Posted on the 24th of April too..
    Call to local main Nikon dealer in Singapore
    Do you have D800 in stock?
    No
    Can you tell me when you will have some in stock?
    No
    Can you tell me when Nikon say they will be shipping next batch?
    No
    Are there production problems with the D800 that nobody is talking about?
    Silence……….

There are two kind of production problems. The kind where you cant build enough which is a good problem but you should be able to forecast based on demand from your dealers and predict a date even if its 3 months out. And then there are the kind of problem where you halt production because yu dont want to give yourself a big recall problem down the line……
    Last edited by Chris G; 27-04-2012 at 1:31pm.
    Photographer & Retoucher at L'Obsession Secrète

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    now i have to save up for a d800 .
    great photos to. cheers.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, I'm jealous now, have to get a D800, but it'll be years to save up
    AKA Andrew P.
    Gear: Nikon D7100, Nikon D90, Nikon 18-105mm VR, Nikon 70-300mm VR, Sigma 150-500mm APO DG OS, , Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM, Tamron 90mm Macro Di, SB400 speedlight, SB700 speedlight, Nikon DR-6, Panasonic FH20, and all sorts of stuff

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lance B View Post
    There does seem to be a very slight green tinge to the rear LCD, but I am actually thinking this is an auto WB issue as the photos did need a tad bit of WB correction. I will have to investigate this further. Maybe a firmware upgrade to fix this very minor issue (if it is indeed an issue).
    I am seeing between a minor and large amount of green cast in the rear lcd depending on the subject. I don't think it is a white balance "problem" as the images I have taken with a set white balance are showing correctly on the pc ( in fact the "standard" wb seems a lot more accurate than the D700 ) but they still show a green cast on the rear lcd. An image I posted here is very colour correct from the camera when on the pc yet the camera display shows the rocks to have a greenish tinge, the dirty whites in the water have a green cast and her socks appear to be almost lime green.
    I don't know whether it is a major "issue" as I rarely use the rear lcd to check colours to a large extent, others may want to do so but in the long run I feel that there will be a firmware update to address the issue.
    Last edited by I @ M; 29-04-2012 at 1:47pm.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I @ M View Post
    I am seeing between a minor and large amount of green cast in the rear lcd depending on the subject. I don't think it is a white balance "problem" as the images I have taken with a set white balance are showing correctly on the pc ( in fact the "standard" wb seems a lot more accurate than the D700 ) but they still show a green cast on the rear lcd. An image I posted here is very colour correct from the camera when on the pc yet the camera display shows the rocks to have a greenish tinge, the dirty whites in the water have a green cast and her socks appear to be almost lime green.
    I don't know whether it is a major "issue" as I rarely use the rear lcd to check colours to a large extent, others may want to do so but in the long run I feel that there will be a firmware update to address the issue.
    Andrew if its not WB issue and just the LCD as you say, the D800 has a hue adjustment for the screen..

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris G View Post
    Andrew if its not WB issue and just the LCD as you say, the D800 has a hue adjustment for the screen..
    Haven't looked that deeply yet but it appears from a quick read of the bible that the hue adjustment is available for live view only.
    It also resets itself after the camera is turned off but that setting can be recalled by a few button pushes.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast