User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  7
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Just got my D800 - Image heavy to show off high ISO and crops etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I @ M View Post
    Haven't looked that deeply yet but it appears from a quick read of the bible that the hue adjustment is available for live view only.
    It also resets itself after the camera is turned off but that setting can be recalled by a few button pushes.
    Oh isn't that where the problem is? Live view / LCD .. And you say what, it resets after the cam has been turned off.. lol
    Photographer & Retoucher at L'Obsession Secrète

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris G View Post
    Oh isn't that where the problem is? Live view / LCD
    It may well be as well, but what I am seeing is the LCD when reviewing a still image just taken without live view.

And you say what, it resets after the cam has been turned off.. lol
    According to the book, yes, haven't actually tried it yet.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh I'm with you now "preview image" has a green tinge / colour cast..

Does the live view present the same thing? , I mean like you say the images are fine when transferred onto the computer..

Regardless it's good to know as I tend to use Kelvin temps and the mix colour in depending on what I'm looking for, meaning if If seen a green tinge I would auto think that my temps are out abit

Who let the rabble in?
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Howdi Lance.
    Great pics for an Aussie, lol.
    NX2, has its place. Give it some time to gel. Rumours are NX3 has Nik filters built in. Don't know how true it is but.
    I use NX2 with VNX, Photoshop with bridge and Aperture. I used Capture One for a bit and it is a great software but I have too many as it is.

Cheers
    Thank you for your kind comments, Sylvia.

Capture One Pro 6 had just been released whichg now supports D800 RAW files, so I am in the process of re-doing all my RAW D800 shots. They look heaps better using a correct method and a method I know.

Who let the rabble in?
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am seeing between a minor and large amount of green cast in the rear lcd depending on the subject. I don't think it is a white balance "problem" as the images I have taken with a set white balance are showing correctly on the pc ( in fact the "standard" wb seems a lot more accurate than the D700 ) but they still show a green cast on the rear lcd. An image I posted here is very colour correct from the camera when on the pc yet the camera display shows the rocks to have a greenish tinge, the dirty whites in the water have a green cast and her socks appear to be almost lime green.
    I don't know whether it is a major "issue" as I rarely use the rear lcd to check colours to a large extent, others may want to do so but in the long run I feel that there will be a firmware update to address the issue.
    After a week and a half of using the D800, the green caste dosen't seem to be there, or I may just be getting used to it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Regarding the WB issue... Take a look at this..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=etUuYtMSjgI

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Regarding the WB issue... Take a look at this..
    Chris, I am not seeing any WB issues at all with the camera ( so far ) and it appears to be very very accurate.

The green issue is purely with the rear lcd screen when reviewing images. If there is a lot of green in the image that is taken the preview shows the whole image as having a colour cast ( green ) but the image when loaded to the pc and viewed on a calibrated monitor the green cast doesn't show.

As for that video, that fella clearly has very very limited knowledge of how to set a white balance. Personally I think he is more suited to pixel peeping images from a 10 year old Kodak ezy-share --------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There seems various reports about it but not enough for Nikon to say "yeh there's a problem" well infact they have stated that it isn't a problem.

I kinda meh with the whole thing as it's kinda to be one out of every 2000 of models (sarcastic humour inserted) that has this green tinged????.. lol

From what I seeing on the vid, I could see the green quite well.. not so much on the LCD /live view but differently on the image its self before he even showed before the adjusted one. Of course I don't doubt that there could be numerous of factors that could conclude this aswell.

Side Note: he was using custom WB with a proper WB/grey card and not AWB or Preset WB, also it does only seem to be popping up with semi setup / full setup studio work.. Just a thought??
    Last edited by Chris G; 01-05-2012 at 9:48pm.

Who let the rabble in?
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having lived with the D800 now for almost 2 weeks, the WB seems very good now. Does it learn? I don't know, but it is really no different to any of the other Nikons I've had. Also, I do not see the green caste in the rear LCD sceen either. I wonder what has changed?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've read a theory that it is to do with the process for bonding the screen, and that after a few weeks the solvent has fully dissipated, and the green hue is gone as well. Apparently a similar thing happened with some new iPads and a yellowish tint, which then went away.

Mind you, there's an awful lot of theories on t'internet

Mike.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Temperature can effect LCD screens. If people read the instructions with screen calibrators (Spyders etc) it says clearly to turn the monitor on and leave it about 20 minutes before calibrating.

If I take my D3 into the snow and use it, when I first turn it on, it looks awful, like it's broken, but once its been on a while and warms up, it is fine.

So when this green tinge was evident, was it very cold, very hot, had the LCD and camera just been turned on, been on for ages?
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixor View Post
    I've read a theory that it is to do with the process for bonding the screen, and that after a few weeks the solvent has fully dissipated, and the green hue is gone as well.
    Mike, not meaning to be rude but it does sound like a pretty lame theory to me.

When does the "few weeks" start from, when the camera is made, when the camera is sold, when the camera is subjected to sunlight for hours at a time?

I am going to assume for the purposes of this "theory" that it isn't the first two conditions as I reckon that all existing stock in Australia will have been manufactured quite a bit longer ago than "a few weeks" and quite a few have been in peoples hands for over 2 weeks.
    That leaves exposure to sunshine ( or maybe just light in general ) as an option.
    I will watch ours and see if they "change colour" over the next week or so.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    As for White Balance. I wonder how many just use Auto-WB and expect it to be perfect every time they take a shot. It can't be! If these people whinging about WB are that serious, they would use a grey card and do a custom white balance for each shoot.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    So when this green tinge was evident, was it very cold, very hot, had the LCD and camera just been turned on, been on for ages?
    Any time, it aint just my eyes either as yesterday HelmutK compared the on camera image with the pc monitor image and yes, he sees green cast as well. It is very evident in images that contain medium to large amounts of green, less evident in images that have small amounts of green but still there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any time, it aint just my eyes either as yesterday HelmutK compared the on camera image with the pc monitor image and yes, he sees green cast as well. It is very evident in images that contain medium to large amounts of green, less evident in images that have small amounts of green but still there.
    Sounds like your saying the camera is slighty over compensating with the colour "green".. All though,,

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like your saying the camera is slighty over compensating with the colour "green".. All though,,
    Chris, you really need to note that the images viewed on a pc screen ( both mine and as of yesterday, my dealers screen that he uses to for all the Fuji kiosk prints in his shop ) do not show the green cast. It is only on the camera rear LCD display that it shows.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chris, you really need to note that the images viewed on a pc screen ( both mine and as of yesterday, my dealers screen that he uses to for all the Fuji kiosk prints in his shop ) do not show the green cast. It is only on the camera rear LCD display that it shows.
    Sorry I miss read what was said after scrolling back up..

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123